• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x5670 - Weird CPU temp issue

Associate
Hi guys,

I have an x5670 which was overclocked to 4.3 under water on a p6t, but it started to get a bit unstable after years of operation. I reverted it to standard voltage and clock speeds to try and diagnose when I noticed what was happening.

The core temps for all cores are absolutely fine, staying under 50 degrees even under stress testing conditions, BUT in HWmonitor, the CPUIN temp hits crazy temps within a couple of minutes of gaming, in one instance hitting 129 degrees, spiking incredibly rapidly before causing the machine to hard lock.

Its very strange to see such a disparity between the two temp values, any ideas?

Associate
I dont know about the the temp difference in the HW monitor but 129C is very dangerous to the the CPU. I would check your cooling soloution and re-apply thermal paste. Hopefully your CPU is not perminantly damaged.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have an x5670 which was overclocked to 4.3 under water on a p6t, but it started to get a bit unstable after years of operation. I reverted it to standard voltage and clock speeds to try and diagnose when I noticed what was happening.

The core temps for all cores are absolutely fine, staying under 50 degrees even under stress testing conditions, BUT in HWmonitor, the CPUIN temp hits crazy temps within a couple of minutes of gaming, in one instance hitting 129 degrees, spiking incredibly rapidly before causing the machine to hard lock.

Its very strange to see such a disparity between the two temp values, any ideas?

Try hwinfo as I found hwmonitor would report inaccurate readings for example showing my max core speed as 8800 etc.

Locking up during a game sounds more like the ram to me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys, thanks for the help!

It's a custom water loop, everything else like the gpu seems fine but I will reseat the CPU water block this weekend and see if it helps, if it doesn't new CPU shall be ordered from China asap. It is possible I have cooked it with excessive voltage.

I also initially thought it was the ram, but tried various combinations of different sticks and it has persisted.

Major pain is that it's a full custom enclosure build so stripping it down takes hours :(

Soldato
What Vcore and QPI voltages were you running?

Also if your going to strip it down I'd remove and repaste/repad the motherboard chipset and VRM heatsyncs.

Soldato
1.5v iirc, I reset it to stock when problem diagnosing, you think I could have blown something up?
Could have possibly damaged the CPU memory controller as over 1.35 is a bit risky for that voltage on the 32nm xeons even though it was fine going over that on the 45nm i7s.

Associate
OP
Hummm that would definitely explain the issues I have been experiencing! I have an old 930 here, will swap it out this afternoon and see how things work out!

Back
Top Bottom