Planning New Build (AMD)

Associate
Just speccing up a new build, so that our current PC can be retired to the use of our young daughters. Current PC is an i5 3570k with on board graphics and 8gb RAM, running Windows 10. This PC is several years old and has served us well and still runs pretty well to be fair.

Don't mind investing a decent amount, as this new build will last at least 5 years. Want to future proof so it doesn't run like a dog in a few years, but at the same time would be unlikely to upgrade any hardware. Mainly used as a general workhorse pc, but also work with Photoshop and video editing with Premiere. Not huge PC gamers, but would like the flexibility to do so if we want.

Have been doing some reading and watching reviews. Have come up with the following and wondered people's thoughts. I am aware the new Ryzen chips are coming very soon, so unless there is a bargain deal beforehand, I am likely to wait a couple of weeks to see how that pans out...

Ryzen 5 3600x or Ryzen 7 3700x
Fractal Define 7 Compact Case
Corsair rm650x PSU
Asus ROG Strix B550-E
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM
2 x NVMe M.2 Drives
RTX 2060 or RX5700 XT GPU

Thoughts?

Soldato
Just speccing up a new build, so that our current PC can be retired to the use of our young daughters. Current PC is an i5 3570k with on board graphics and 8gb RAM, running Windows 10. This PC is several years old and has served us well and still runs pretty well to be fair.

Don't mind investing a decent amount, as this new build will last at least 5 years. Want to future proof so it doesn't run like a dog in a few years, but at the same time would be unlikely to upgrade any hardware. Mainly used as a general workhorse pc, but also work with Photoshop and video editing with Premiere. Not huge PC gamers, but would like the flexibility to do so if we want.

Have been doing some reading and watching reviews. Have come up with the following and wondered people's thoughts. I am aware the new Ryzen chips are coming very soon, so unless there is a bargain deal beforehand, I am likely to wait a couple of weeks to see how that pans out...

Ryzen 5 3600x or Ryzen 7 3700x
Fractal Define 7 Compact Case
Corsair rm650x PSU
Asus ROG Strix B550-E
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM
2 x NVMe M.2 Drives
RTX 2060 or RX5700 XT GPU

Thoughts?

waiit till the 8th to see Zen3 introduced.

also, price of ASUS B550 eitheer go x570 Toma or save cash and go B550 Aorus Elite, which should help cover some of the cosst for Zen3 !

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £586.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Aorus/Gigabyte lends to the best Customer Service. MSI doing cashback but only on current Gen and take a few weeks

woorth looking at the 4000d airflow or standard version, lot cheaper with same IO

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £295.75 (includes shipping: £20.82)

and push 750w , more future proof

rtx 3070 and RX 6*** are also introduced soon!​

Associate
OP
Thanks @orbitalwalsh

I am definitely waiting to see what happens with Zen 3.

The Asus Strix can be had (with cashback) for about £170 which seems like a decent deal which is why I was looking at that.

I'll change the PSU to 750w and take a look at the Corsair case - although I do really like the look of the Fractal.

How about memory. What speed should I go for? Looks like a big jump in price and availability of the different speeds with the Neo RAM.

Soldato
I usually have an OS drive and then a separate data drive - just the way I've always done it.
Need for that died completely with coming of SSDs.
Even with HDDs separate OS drive did good only when amount of memory was insufficient to avoid page file usage. (or when needing highest transfer rates)

Associate
OP
Need for that died completely with coming of SSDs.
Even with HDDs separate OS drive did good only when amount of memory was insufficient to avoid page file usage. (or when needing highest transfer rates)

Ok. So one large M.2 then? Leaving the second slot for any expansion?

Soldato
Thanks. Any pointers on the RAM speeds?

Depends if your gunning for Zen3.. then fast as you can get. APU slightly different design but they hit 5000hz easily enough . And Zen2 hits 3766hz just nicely with its mem controller .

B550 designed to handle high speeds evolution from x570 and then naturally x670 at launch will have greater PCB layering /design for the extra costs

Associate
OP
Depends if your gunning for Zen3.. then fast as you can get. APU slightly different design but they hit 5000hz easily enough . And Zen2 hits 3766hz just nicely with its mem controller .

B550 designed to handle high speeds evolution from x570 and then naturally x670 at launch will have greater PCB layering /design for the extra costs

Ive got half an eye on Zen3, but I am hoping its release will push down the current pricing of Zen2 and making some savings that way. But, also leaving the option open to upgrade to Zen3 down the line (although thats unlikely)

Id like to max out at £150 for the memory. Either 16gb or 32gb.

So, with my preference of the G.Skill Neo - I can get 32gb 3200 C16 or 32gb 3600 c18 for around that price. Or I could go closer to £100 and get 16gb of 3600 C16.

Associate
OP
Yes, sorry.

1) G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C18D-32GTZN - 32 gb 3600 C18 is £157
2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3200C16D-32GTZN - 32gb 3200 C16 is £150
3) Another option?

Back
Top Bottom