*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Are these fitbits any good for tracking your daily exercise level? I am tempted to buy one (just feel like buying a new toy..) but I cant see any practical benefits, my smart phone already counts steps. And I dont do running.

As long as your phone is with you all the time then that's 90% of the job done IMO - fitness trackers are notoriously unreliable for calories burned and although my Apple Watch has all this stuff I only look that my day's figures are always in the same ballpark for consistency, which is especially useful when dieting since NEAT can go down as an unconscious response to energy restriction... but as long as you're tracking steps that covers most NEAT stuff anyway so yeah. Train hard in the gym, track steps and try to avoid them dropping below a minimum target number during the diet, track average weekly weight and then make adjustments in energy intake based off what the scales are doing.

Soldato
I seem to have hit a bit of a wall again, hovering around 108kg at the moment. Looks like I hit one every 4-5kg loss, really would like to go to the gym for some weights but not in a position to at the moment.

Just stick to running for now and do as much as I can with bodyweight exercises and a single kettlebell. Also thinking about getting a wall mounted pull up bar for outside to add some variety.

Soldato
I think I need new scales.

1st Sept - 95kg
4th Sept - 92.5kg
7th Sept - 96.6kg (when I woke up. Naked)

Just weighed myself again an hour later with clothes on and it’s showing 95.4kg

Pretty sure last Friday was an anomaly. But today’s readings are just as baffling.

Caporegime
I think you might do, @Marvt74. I never really get a variance of more than 1kg day-to-day so to go up 4kg in 3 days is weird. I got some Weight Watchers ones from Argos that are really wide so you can stand on it properly.

As for me, bad week this week with birthday celebrations. Really piled the carbs on over a few days and put 5lbs back. Keto time is coming up in 3 weeks though so I don't feel too bad as I know it will be all gone again soon enough.

People remarked how thin I looked at the birthday party but I know underneath that baggy T-shirt I had on there is still a paunchy belly and moobs. At least 2 more stone to go before I even think about stopping.

Soldato
This could be the point i consider some smart scales. I'd like the Garmin ones for their connectivity to Garmin etc, but i'm also not sure i can stomach £80 on scales! I've seen some cheaper Xiaomi ones on Amazon for around £25 which is much more wallet friendly!

I've certainly plateaued and have probably hovered around 95kg since April. Ideally i'd like to be under 90kg, so i need to sort my head out and get a little more focussed again. I've definitely been drinking more since April and that seems to really affect my ability to lose weight.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm 108kg this morning again after few too many treats last week but still want to push for 100kg by New Year which is pretty doable to be fair.

Soldato
Ok, so bought some new scales. I went with the Eufy P1 which seem to be fairly well reviewed. The Garmin ones would've been nice for the Garmin integration, so i might see how i go with these for a few weeks and return/exchange in the future. They are a little misleading in that it states "14" readings, yet a lot are duplicated between % and Absolute which is a bit of a con.

Readings here. This was after breakfast and clothed. I like that my "bone mass" is high. Basically i can tell people i'm big boned and not fat :p

olheOdv.png

Interestingly, not one of the readings is in a normal range.

Soldato
I thought I would share my journey in here having currently lost nearly 8.5 stone.

I was 23 stone and 12 pounds age 35 (5 foot 9") 151kgs/334 pounds, my feet ached when I got out of bed in the morning, I couldn't wash my car without back ache for 2 hours after, life was declining fast, previously I didn't really care much about my weight till the pain started kicking in, I tried a few diets (slimming world) eating less trying to move more, I would move a stone maybe 2 and then put it back on 6 months later.
I then had a kid and remember how cruel other kids can be at school, I know he'll get picked on anyway at some point but I didn't want him to get picked on for having a fat Dad. Life went on I went on. I always told myself I never over ate and went to the doctor's as being fat wasn't fair - he wanted to do blood tests and I don't like needles so that was the end of that road for me.

Till one day I was on youtube, one of them annoying 5 second adverts came on, a nearly naked man with arrows painted on him very muscular Jason Statham looking, he said "you might be thinking why do I have arrows pointing all over my body, these are my stretch marks from when I was over 330 pounds", I continue watching the advert obviously this was my weight at the time, he's then eating a burger, "I still continue to eat the things I enjoy", he then went go on to promote intermittent fasting and his channel. I instantly followed and watched all of his videos on how to start (6packabs). I'd never heard of this diet and put myself on it the very next day.

2 years later while still overweight at 15 stone 95kgs, I'm up at 630am doing a 20 mile road bike ride within an hour before work, I blast the crosser training in my garage for run. I go to trail centre's and bike past people up long hills who are a lot thinner than me and have way better mountain bikes and I generally feel fantastic in my body knowing where I have come from. My cardio levels are out the roof I feel almost athletic. I can now wear nicer clothes and feel good in them as well.

I got stuck a various stages loosing my weight 19 stone+ being a tough one, it's import to measure yourself as well, for 3 months once I only dropped a couple of pounds but my body was still shrinking from the previous 3 stone I'd lost so don't always focus on the scales. I didn't have to workout with the diet but found this massively increased progress. I found it helped mental health which was a massive bonus and in the end something happened I never thought would, I enjoyed working out, the benefits were huge for me and felt great afterwards.

Once your body gets used to fasting there's no problem working out on fasting days, I'm still able to perform at a high level towards the end of a fast. At first my body thought I was killing it, I was hungry on and off all day, these are called "waves" over the first months they get less and less till some days I hardly got them at all. They pass and don't let them put you off, it's your body telling you that you normally feed it now and it's going to make you feel bad for not doing it, drink some water, they pass after 10 minutes tops, this is normally why people eat when they don't need too.

I won't ever give up fasting, I fast 6 days a week for 20 hours per day. I feel sharper while on a fast than having just finished a Sunday lunch, in fact I don't even feel like I'm on a diet, it's just a way of life. I've never given up eating one item of food or alcohol throughout my weight loss which is why fasting works for me, other diets force you to give up what you enjoy, with fasting you just have to wait to eat it.

Sorry for the wall of text even if once person found it interesting it was worth my time.

Soldato
Crikey. Very well done to you! But you only eat 4 hours a day? And how many calories do you get in during those hours? And what do you do on the 7th day?

Fast days mainly consist of eating a normal meal, mostly healthy but not all the time if I fancy a KFC, you have to break the fast with something light to start with an hour before you eat as this stops the effects of blood rushing to the gut and making you feel weak after you've eaten, also stop the blood sugar going crazy and this is what the weight loss basically works off. I normally have a Gherkin and rice cake, then my meal with a sweet afterwards, and a couple bags of crisps as Im a savoury person in the evening to finish. I probably see between 900 to 1200 cals on these days little more at the weekend if I drink.
On my eating day I'll eat a normal breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Or if there's an event like family BBQ just breakfast, BBQ and something savoury late at night. You have to include at least one eating day, yes you'll gain weight on this day for sure but it stop's your body getting into a routine of constant fasting and helps catch it out when you return to fasting the next following days. These days I'll probably pack 2500/3k calories in. Burning 4k+ calories on an eating day really speeds the whole weeks process up.

Caporegime
I pretty much couldn’t do that. If I was allowed to eat what I wanted, albeit in one meal, I’d be back on the ready meals and ice cream. Being mindful of my carb intake is the only way I manage to lose weight.

Soldato
Well, I'm doing both intermittent fasting (16:8) and mind what I eat, seems to be breaking past the plateau again and 106kg already this week from 108. Do also cycle the calories, some days eat more or less but make sure the week averages out to what I'm supposed to be eating daily.

When I have cheat meals I make sure I fit them in the calories (don't bother with macros).

Soldato
I'm five weeks into a much postponed, and much restarted period of belt tightening, and I don't have a huge amount to lose... which is just as well, because I lack some of the hugely impressive willpower shared in this thread. However in the last fortnight I have rediscovered one of the secret weapons I've used in past calorific corrections... white cabbage.

I'm not talking cabbage diet, with cabbage for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, with a cabbage broth to sip on all day. No, we're talking about chopping one of those 'cannonball' white cabbages and putting it, raw, into an airtight container in the fridge for easy access; it'll keep for days. Easy access is the key, because it's then there to grab and add to all meals quickly. I suppose you could snack on it too, but only if you're a masochist. :)

This stuff is usually what you'd shred more finely to put into coleslaw, but it works incredibly well -- for me anyway -- as a general bulking agent for meals, because it doesn't absorb and therefore dilute the flavours. So chucked into a tasty pasta sauce instead of pasta (or with just a bit of pasta) it works well, and I have cabbage and baked beans instead of beans on toast for lunch, or a dry-fried egg chopped with cabbage and some salt to taste. One of my regular main meals is lots of mixed veg with gravy (careful of the calories there) and some chicken or quorn for protein. But throw in some of the raw cabbage and it bulks everything up a bit more without compromising the meal.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that into the mix. Iceberg lettuce is an alternative, but doesn't stay crunchy for long and has to be chopped every time. Nowhere near as crunchy and 'mouth satisfying' either.

Caporegime
Awful month this month. Didn't lose a pound as I've been very careless with the old carbs. Had very sugary things at almost every meal. But I'm not particularly concerned, I know next week I'll be back at it, now I've had some fun this month. :D

Soldato
I’m over in Spain at the moment and in my head I think I was in “holiday mode” for a few weeks prior to coming out.
Using the scales here I’m steadily approaching the 100kg mark again.

Think if I touch that then It’ll really give me the push I need when I get home.

Man of Honour
I'd be wary of those eufy scales other than the weight it is only using an algorithm to calculate the other values. It cannot tell you what your real muscle mass and bone mass is.

Just use the weight as your trending figure.

Soldato
Still got some bulk-life foods laying about to eat up and having a deload week in the gym so diet is going to have to wait for another... I’m going to say 7 weeks; plan will be to do another training block for 6 weeks, deload for a week, then train conservatively (aim to maintain lifts rather than push them for progress) on a harsh deficit for 4 weeks, 1 week diet break, do another 3, then back to maintenance for a couple of weeks, and then get on that 0.5-1% bodyweight increase per month train. Abs by Christmas please!

Soldato
I’m over in Spain at the moment and in my head I think I was in “holiday mode” for a few weeks prior to coming out.
Using the scales here I’m steadily approaching the 100kg mark again.

Think if I touch that then It’ll really give me the push I need when I get home.

Well, i'm back from Spain, Weighed myself this morning and i was 100.4kg

That's given me a kick up the bum to crack on with getting healthier. Today is going well as it's currently 3pm and i've only had a small bowl of porridge because i've had no time to think about making anything else.

Soldato
Hit 103kg this morning and that's with barely any exercise over last 10 days, really starting to get a good grip on my diet. Best part is that almost none of it feels like punishment and I get quite a few cheat meals and smaller treats in, so can see it being sustainable in the future.

Way I'm going might see below 100kg by Halloween for first time in probably over 10 years now. Starting gym next week so will be mixing 3 days of weight lifting and 3 runs a week with one rest day.

Back
Top Bottom