Auto or manual

Soldato
The mdct (in the e92 m3 at least) will let you block shift in manual mode. If you hold the gearstick forward and plant your foot it will (after a couple of seconds) kick down several gears. Sometimes it will be a bit annoying though and go to say 7000 revs in 2nd so you then have to change up again.

Soldato
It's interesting that BMW went with the Aisin 8 speed for their transverse platform rather than sticking with ZF.
I'm confused as to what they are using, and couldn't find a list when I made my earlier post - I thought there were some dct's in the 2 series/fwd, another black mark imhop.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/12/bmw-add-seven-speed-dual-clutch-transmission-ukl-models/
Up until now, every UKL-based car has had either a six-speed or eight-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. Now, though, BMW is replacing those transmissions with a new dual-clutch unit that will provide a decrease in weight, faster shifts and increased fuel-economy. This new DCT will make its debut in the BMW X1 sDrive18i and the BMW X1 sDrive20i in Europe but could come ‘Stateside in the X1 xDrive28i and MINI products. Bigger engined vehicles will also get a Sport variant of the DCT, that comes with a sportier shift algorithm and paddle shifters. With a DCT, now BMW’s smaller cars compete better with Audi, who also uses a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic in all of its newer vehicles, such as the new A3 and Q2

Soldato
Soldato
I'm confused as to what they are using, and couldn't find a list when I made my earlier post - I thought there were some dct's in the 2 series/fwd, another black mark imhop.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/12/bmw-add-seven-speed-dual-clutch-transmission-ukl-models/

The Mini Cooper S and most the range has the 7 speed DCT option from memory but the SD takes the 8 speed auto. Then the Countryman SE (PHEV) uses 6 speed steptronic but JCW takes 8.

They just have a decent range of powertrains to tweak what the products off that platform need.

Soldato
the zf literature had said they have transmissions which can be interfaced with an electric motor
and, I thought phev may, indeed, be incompatible with dct, could the electric motor take sudden torque change, if their drives are combined for the same wheels.

The american market likes traditional tc's too, so bmw products with high sales there, may prefer it.

Soldato
God I hope they stick with the TC autos - I'd love some kind of I6 with a ZF8, as it seems to be a dream combo! Not that I can afford one yet and pretty much know I'll be buying another Focus next :D

Soldato
The mdct (in the e92 m3 at least) will let you block shift in manual mode. If you hold the gearstick forward and plant your foot it will (after a couple of seconds) kick down several gears. Sometimes it will be a bit annoying though and go to say 7000 revs in 2nd so you then have to change up again.
My manual E92 M3 didn't do all those tricks, but when you dropped it from 5th to 3rd and floored it the sound was epic! Plenty of visits to the petrol station was the downside.

Associate
For me it has to be a manual. I love the engagement of a manual and the responsiveness - when you are in the right gear you just go. You don't have to wait for the gearbox to catch up. I have a manual in my daily driver, a Lexus IS250, and don't regret it even when sitting in traffic.

Modern automatics have massively improved. The automatic in my bosses 2017 330e (just given back) is good but not good enough. You can still confuse it. The DSG in the pool car (Skoda Superb petrol 2019) is dreadful - I often throw the gearbox out and have to wait for it. It's an awful thing to drive.

The best automatic I have driven is the new Alpine A110. This is responsive and enjoyable. It doesn't get confused easily either. If I could get the car with a manual though I would - I'm just like that!

Manual here also (clearly) - its interesting you had a manual IS250 - so did I - A great car but a bit too boring which is why i sold it but they are an excellent purchase 2nd hand. When I got it I never knew the Auto in the Lexus was superior, if so I would probably have got that box looking back.

https://i.imgur.com/Hhl67yZ.jpg

I found the manual in the IS250 clunky and slow, but the ambience of the car itself probably made it tolerable, The manual in my 6 Speed Subaru is an entirely different proposition however with very fast responsive changes and a long final gear for wafting - a good manual depends on the manual box used and its supporting cast.. i.e. engine, drive train etc

Caporegime
I never knew the Auto in the Lexus was superior, if so I would probably have got that box looking back.

[...]

I found the manual in the IS250 clunky and slow, but the ambience of the car itself probably made it tolerable [...]

Wow talk about contradicting almost everything else you've said in this thread. :D

Associate
Wow talk about contradicting almost everything else you've said in this thread. :D

well you don't really get it, do you. The Manual in the Lexus was terrible like I said, I probably did not do enough research before the purchase - it was ok but clumsy and its better suited to an Auto such as the car it is. The Subaru Legacy R SpecB is an entirely different best of a car and works well with the manual used in the WRX STi with its rifle bolt gear changes and a smooth as silk 3 litre NA lump - Apples and oranges

Associate
I really wish the ignore function worked properly so I don't get triggered by people like this... :p

you are the one seemingly on GPS tracker mode and clearly don't haven't a clue about these things so carry on, if you go back to one of my first replies on this I said you cant beat a 'good' manual... guess what? the Lexus is not a good one. I can only assume you have never driven a decent petrol manual based on your response here

Caporegime
you are the one seemingly on GPS tracker mode and clearly don't haven't a clue about these things so carry on, if you go back to one of my first replies on this I said you cant beat a 'good' manual... guess what? the Lexus is not a good one. I can only assume you have never driven a decent petrol manual based on your response here
Big words for someone who's been here for all of 219 posts.

Acme has had a wide selection of cars including a few MX5s, which are great manuals.

Do you think perhaps you could leave this thread to naturally end now, rather than recycling your drivel over and over ad-nauseam.

Associate
Big words for someone who's been here for all of 219 posts.

Acme has had a wide selection of cars including a few MX5s, which are great manuals.

Do you think perhaps you could leave this thread to naturally end now, rather than recycling your drivel over and over ad-nauseam.

I don't care if he has has 1 million cars and registered since the last ice age - the post is about autos and manual and I am well versed to comment as I have driven many types of both but clearly many posters are just blind ignorant or stuck up some high horse, that or make Subaru jibes... the Lexus manual was actually a very good case in point where a manual was poor, the car was too heavy and it was pretty gutless overall.
The Subaru is just a different situation entirely - I suggest you actually drive a Subaru 6MT (used in all the high performance models) and then maybe drive a Lexus manual or a manual in a MX5 - you will then be wiser and considering I have had the car 4+ years it speaks for itself, and the car previous to that was a supercharged CL55 AMG -- auto

Manuals depend on many factors, gear ratios the engine and drivetrain and much more - a manual in a diesel is a million miles from a decent petrol car for example but far too many people cant grasp all these variables it seems

Associate
If you like driving cars you will take a manual for a B road
I will take an auto with paddles.

Don't mind manuals, but auto is just better/quicker/more efficient. I take my car out on B roads every weekend, but I know that I can also go to work, in traffic, with the same car. If I had a relatively slow car where the gear changes weren't of the most importance, I'd take a manual; provided I had an automatic to drive as my daily as well.

Caporegime
Thanks. You don't need to defend me though, I could have just left it but I didn't. :p

I just thought it was funny that he has spent 10 pages waxing on about how manuals are better drivers cars and he loves them and wouldn't ever consider anything else because he is a "real driver", and then drops this:

I found the manual in the IS250 clunky and slow [...] I never knew the Auto in the Lexus was superior, if so I would probably have got that box looking back.

And it blew my mind. Undoing 10 pages of hard work in one post. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom