Holiday idea - Motorhome rental in the UK?

Soldato
I've been trying to think of some holiday ideas that might be slightly less susceptible to all this Covid lark and thought of the idea of renting a motorhome for a long weekend/short week in the UK.

Has anyone done something similar and have any thoughts?

We live on the south coast, and was thinking of driving up north* towards the Lake/Peak district, or the North York Moors. It would be me, the wife and two kids (3 and 1). My thinking being that the motorhome is more luxurious and convenient than a tent, but allows us to avoid the reliance on hotels/restaurants which may or may not be open. It's also something very different to what we've done before.

Not sure how enjoyable it will be driving a much larger vehicle along some potentially very small country roads, or if the size of it will prevent us from getting to certain areas entirely (e.g. car parks with height limits. I'm not thinking of some huge American RV, it would be the smallest thing that could accommodate us all.

*I'm aware going up north right now is not a great idea. This would be for some time next year, hopefully when things have calmed down a bit.

Soldato
Currently converting a LWB Sprinter into a campervan and did a week in Cornwall at the start of September.

If you're an outdoorsy person you'll love it, and can make it as manic or as chilled as you want :)

There's a huge range of campsite, from proper holiday camps with entertainment, swimming pools and activities for the kids or remote farms with nothing to do but read a book and enjoy some excellent skies with no light pollution at night.

As for driving the vehicle, if you haven't got any experience driving a larger van just remember you're taller so you don't smash the roof off and get left with a hefty bill, and much longer so take turns much wider. As long as you've got some driving experience and know to expect other drivers to be absolute mentalist you should be ok :D

Soldato
We did this when I was a kid in the 90's and the Vans were great and the campsites all set up for it. I can only imagine things have gotten better in the intervening period. It sounds like a great plan. Drive somewhere, do some stuff, go to camp site, leave early have brekfast somewhere scenic and rinse repeat.

Good luck

Soldato
Hiring a narrowboat would good be a good alternative, you can go for miles while maintaining social distance. We hired one for 5 days 2 years ago and had a great time.

Apparently narrowboat bookings went through the roof this summer.

Soldato
OP
Hiring a narrowboat would good be a good alternative, you can go for miles while maintaining social distance. We hired one for 5 days 2 years ago and had a great time.

Apparently narrowboat bookings went through the roof this summer.

This is definitely on the to do list, but not until the kids are a bit older. We'd constantly be on the look out for the little one jumping overboard! At least they'd be strapped in in a motorhome. :D

Back
Top Bottom