Home office

Associate
Hi,

So with the working at home becomming a pernement thing for me I have been thinking about alternative working areas.. the wife has decided that the spare room needs to be a guest room (for when we are allowed people to stay.. who knows when that will be!!)

Been thinking about either a garden office or a partial loft conversion, either would work for me but for the loft conversion I need to get the freeholder to give permission first.

Does anyone have any reccomendatons on who is a reliable supplier for garden offices ? Also happy to consider the partial / full loft conversion but not sure that the funds would strech to that.

Man of Honour
How many nights a year are you expecting overnight guests?

The reason I ask is I use our guest room as an office. It doesn't look particularly appealing having a massive desk, filing cabinets, a smaller desk, shelves of study materials, boxes of kit etc in it, but its a big room that would be a bit wasted otherwise. I use it for working in during weekdays and then for personal use in the evenings or playing games with my son at weekends. Obviously if we have overnight guests I can use it for work during the day and then vacate it in the evenings.

So the computer gets used a lot, I would guess well over 300 days a year. Whereas we might have people stay overnight what, maybe a dozen nights a year? Appreciate you might be in a different situation especially if you don't have kids and throwing parties at weekends etc but generally I think dedicated guest rooms are a bit of a waste unless they are small rooms or you have plenty of rooms to go round. Key question to put to your wife is how often will you have overnight guests and is it big enough to put in a desk etc?

Soldato
in the 2 years we had a guest room before our first child was born we never had a single overnight guest.
It did get used occasionally after me and the other half had a bit of a barney though :D

Associate
OP
We will possibily have some guests who stay for a few months at a time, the wife is Nicaraguan so when family come they stay for about 4 or 5 months to make it worth while - think Mother in law living here for upto 5 months in one go :eek:. So the wife does kind of have a point, plus it will give me some space to have a dedicated man cave / escape room

Permabanned
Converted our garage into a double office and utility room. Was only used to store junk anyway.

Garden office is good shout if you have the space. Can be pretty expensive a decent quality one.

Caporegime
We will possibily have some guests who stay for a few months at a time, the wife is Nicaraguan so when family come they stay for about 4 or 5 months to make it worth while - think Mother in law living here for upto 5 months in one go :eek:. So the wife does kind of have a point, plus it will give me some space to have a dedicated man cave / escape room

That pretty much kills the guest room as an office.

Your original idea is probably best bet. Especially if guests are going to be over while you are working!

We have a 3 bed. I have the smallest room as my office. Gf has the guest room, so basically a desk and a bed.
But we only have guests a few times a year for a couple of nights

Soldato
That pretty much kills the guest room as an office.

Your original idea is probably best bet. Especially if guests are going to be over while you are working!

We have a 3 bed. I have the smallest room as my office. Gf has the guest room, so basically a desk and a bed.
But we only have guests a few times a year for a couple of nights

You didn't spot the bump then? ^^:p

Soldato
I currently use a garden office (from a local company, so not much use to you I guess). 44mm "log" cabin. Quite a small one, but it does the job. Gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but I'm sure a better quality one could easily be a lot more comfortable, I'm not too fussed about mine since hopefully it's the last summer here, and I don't mind the cold as much!

EDIT - I missed the bump too!

Back
Top Bottom