Google Pixel 5

Soldato
But now you mention it, BBC isn’t on that pic and looking at the iPlayer App on the Play store, it looks like Nvidia has exclusivity on it.

If that’s the case then that’s a major stumbling block. Can’t not have iPlayer if you’re doing a streaming device in the UK.

yeah as of right now the new chrome cast looks like a complete turkey if you live in the uk.

In essence, yes you can still cast from your phone. But it literally defeats the point of the new Chromecast and Google TV if it isn't there as an app.

Yes you make a point there, but at the very least you will be able to cast from your phone for the odd few apps that aren't available on the Google TV store, for me upgrading from an original Chromecast that won't be much different, hopefully they will be added in the future, I mainly want a 4k HDR capable Chromecast device.

Soldato
Anyone with a Google One 2TB sub ordered one of these yet? Did you get the 10% store credit back?

on that but not noticed
yeah as of right now the new chrome cast looks like a complete turkey if you live in the uk.

do the bbc make anything worth watching for people under the age of 60 who will be buying this ? I cancelled my tv licence long ago. if you compare the content you can get elsewhere for £13 month i doubt it will be a deal breaker for younger people who just consume youtube, netflix / disney / prime

Soldato
do the bbc make anything worth watching for people under the age of 60 who will be buying this ? I cancelled my tv licence long ago. if you compare the content you can get elsewhere for £13 month i doubt it will be a deal breaker for younger people who just consume youtube, netflix / disney / prime

^ He's right

Pretty much anyone under the age of 15 is youtube/netflix exclusive.

The younger generation have ZERO interest in live tv.

I'm not sure how much content the 15-60 age bracket watch, but it must be dropping.

When I think about it, I can't even remember the last time (other than the news) I watched live tv :confused: ....and you can watch sky news on youtube :D

I know a lot of people get annoyed when the studios themselves launch their own streaming platforms, but when the likes of sky are so awful at it, maybe it's actually a good thing. Hopefully some of the studios selling to sky (disneys already done it) will start to pull away, and sky will only have themselves to blame. I'm kinda in two minds now the chromecast is running google TV, just to install a VPN on it, and run the US services.

Google needs to do to live TV, what Amazon did to shopping. If they launch Youtube TV over here I'd be pleased.

Sky has a monopoly and it shows in their business model.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I crumbled. Pre ordered one, if it's naff then I'll cancel. I can easily sell it at a later date if it doesn't suit my needs. Roll on the reviews

Soldato
I think it is any major UK seller .. certainly ee and cpw have it on their sites.

If you are looking to buy outright. Then Google should be the only place people go as the warranty system is superb

Agree with this. I had a Nexus 5X go bad out of warranty, Decided to give them a call anyway. Had another phone within 48hrs delivered to my door free of charge no issue even though I had no warranty left.

Soldato
on that but not noticed

Wasn't just talking about the BBC... Despite it not being hip with the types who "consume" streaming media, live TV is still very much a thing for the vast majority of homeowners.

Soldato
I think it is any major UK seller .. certainly ee and cpw have it on their sites.

If you are looking to buy outright. Then Google should be the only place people go as the warranty system is superb

It doesn't matter where you order from, your warranty is with Google regardless.

Really tempted to get this, fancy a smaller phone and there is not really much that compares other than semi-dodgy Chinese phones with poor updates and support.

Soldato
It doesn't matter where you order from, your warranty is with Google regardless.

Really tempted to get this, fancy a smaller phone and there is not really much that compares other than semi-dodgy Chinese phones with poor updates and support.

not really, if you get from google direct any issues they will send you a new one. buy anywhere else and you either go via them or ask google to take it.. but you will have to send in first and wait.

Soldato
not really, if you get from google direct any issues they will send you a new one. buy anywhere else and you either go via them or ask google to take it.. but you will have to send in first and wait.
Not the experience I've had with Google - I've exchanged a few things purchased from a third party with them directly. They offer a 2 year manufactures warranty with Pixel phones.

Associate
Well another year of my Pixel 3XL it is, the 5 looks like a right disappointment to me on my current Pixel. Also WTB a Pixel watch already, I like the look and feel of the Apple watch but I refuse to give the cult of Apple any more money.

Soldato
Not the experience I've had with Google - I've exchanged a few things purchased from a third party with them directly. They offer a 2 year manufactures warranty with Pixel phones.

That's incorrect. You ship your phone back first if you purchased anywhere else apart from Google.

If you purchased from Google they will ship you a replacement phone no questions asked and you then have X amount of days to return yours or your same payment method will be charged again.

No debating the 2 year warranty. That is in place regardless of where you purchase

Back
Top Bottom