Google Pixel 5

Soldato
Well another year of my Pixel 3XL it is, the 5 looks like a right disappointment to me on my current Pixel. Also WTB a Pixel watch already, I like the look and feel of the Apple watch but I refuse to give the cult of Apple any more money.

Same for me. I'd love to go to a 5 but a few things on my 3 that I can't give up.

Squeeze for assistant
Front firing speakers
Ultimated original quality photo and video cloud storage

Soldato
What you've linked is for the 4 and 4XL. Presumably the spec sheet is for the new 3, the 5/4a/4a5G, of which they're saying only the 5 has IPX8.

Ahhh well spotted *face palm* :eek:

I guess they've not yet updated the spec sheet to clarify the IP rating of the 4a / 4a5G. Afterall it wouldn't make much sense if the 4/4XL has a rating of IPX8 and the 4a/4a5G doesn't.

Man of Honour
I pay google 2.49 a month for some extra storage which is handy. I think the unlimited storage ends after some time anyway no? Anyway regardless I use Google storage for stuff anyway.

Speakers have never been something that have bothered me, but I can understand why people like to have decent speaker.

The squeeze for assistant always seemed gimmicky for me and I never really used it, and often used to trigger in my gorilla hands! :D

Soldato
I went from the iPhone 7 (and the iPhones prior to that) to a 2XL, then 3XL then 4XL , will likely get the 5, personally the only issue I have is them dropping the Face ID, but I do remember thinking when I got the 4XL that I missed the fingerprint sensor, and given the fact hardly any developers have updated their apps to use Face ID (including bank ones) it was a step backward having no fingerprint sensor, so I will be glad its back on the 5.
Battery life never bothered me too much on the 4XL, and as the Freefaller says above, squeeze for assistant I hardly used, in fact, never used, as just usually say 'ok google' etc.

Soldato
I went from the iPhone 7 (and the iPhones prior to that) to a 2XL, then 3XL then 4XL , will likely get the 5, personally the only issue I have is them dropping the Face ID, but I do remember thinking when I got the 4XL that I missed the fingerprint sensor, and given the fact hardly any developers have updated their apps to use Face ID (including bank ones) it was a step backward having no fingerprint sensor, so I will be glad its back on the 5.
Battery life never bothered me too much on the 4XL, and as the Freefaller says above, squeeze for assistant I hardly used, in fact, never used, as just usually say 'ok google' etc.

same boat as you. if face unlock A: worked with face masks and B: worked on the apps I needed as security it would be worth having. Sadly it has not taken off or considered a secure form of ID checking in the same way Apple has. So on that basis I have no issues with fingerprint coming back. I always liked on previous phones I could unlock as I was taking it out of my pocket.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
That's incorrect. You ship your phone back first if you purchased anywhere else apart from Google.

If you purchased from Google they will ship you a replacement phone no questions asked and you then have X amount of days to return yours or your same payment method will be charged again.

No debating the 2 year warranty. That is in place regardless of where you purchase

When I returned my 4XL for a blown top speaker a couple of months ago I had the option of doing that, where they place a temporary hold on your card for the value of the phone, or the old fashioned way where you return it and they send you a new one once they receive the old device. I chose to do the former. :)

4XL owner here, not sure I see the value of getting the 5. I'd love a finger print sensor again, especially as masks make face unlock pointless, and I quite like the idea of a slightly smaller form factor. But other than that, the 4XL is the better phone, no?

Soldato
Im hoping to get the 4a 5G when it comes back into stock.

was going to buy the normal 4a as I didn't realise this was coming out. I dont think the 5 adds enough for me to spend the extra cash. never had wireless charging so wont miss it.

Associate
Has anyone had the official pixel cases from google before with previous phones? Quite like the look of them but always had spigen cases as I trust them from experience saving my phone many many times over the years.

Just wondering if the google cases are more fashion than function?

Associate
https://phonesized.com/compare/#1329,1565,1566,1518

Didn't realise how big my 4 XL was compared to the new ones...

That's a handy site - cheers. I've been using the phonearena comparison tool but that overlays the phones on top of each other and makes it in some ways harder to visualize the differences.
Agreed, thank you @V_R
I was surprised at how much difference there is between the P5 and my old 2XL
Seems the S20FE5G is about the same size.
I still can't decide between what to get. :confused:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah I usually go to the Phonearena site too, but saw that on Reddit this morning. :)

Just make sure you calibrate it with a bank card to get the real life size of the devices.

Soldato
Has anyone had the official pixel cases from google before with previous phones? Quite like the look of them but always had spigen cases as I trust them from experience saving my phone many many times over the years.

Just wondering if the google cases are more fashion than function?
I have one on my Pixel 2. Nice but I sort of fell out of love with the texture of the fabric after a while. I'm probably going to get a Mous case for the 5.

Back
Top Bottom