• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone tried streaming with 3080/3090 using Nvenc in Streamlabs?

Associate
Hi all, I have a 3090 on order and as a very small streamer I'm wanting to find out how well Streamlabs performs with a 3080 or 3090 when using Nvenc for video encoding in Streamlabs OBS.

I've a dual PC setup currently which I use with NDI Scan Converter over cat-6 with a 1080 in the desktop and a 1070 in my streaming laptop, so both are equipped with the older Nvenc chips (Turing/Ampere use the newer chip afaik). I'll admit that I'm chasing the ideal of a single PC setup with two monitors as dual PC takes up a fair bit of space.

Currently I can run at 6000 bitrate at 720p 60fps smoothly, but I really am seeking smooth 1080p at 60fps for my stream output.

I'm hoping the big bump in cuda cores in the 3080/3090 means a big bump in Nvenc encoding while streaming, I'm just hoping there's another streamer on here who can weigh in and give me an idea of what performance jump to expect!

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest it should be grand, I stream at 1080p/720p (depending on what codecs I get from Twitch) 60fps using a MSI 1080 (6.5k bitrate) and it's fine so I wouldn't worry too much

Associate
They used the exact same encoder. Performance from a 2000 to a 3000 will be the same.

"Q: Will there be any improvements to the RTX encoder in the Ampere series cards, similar to what we saw for the Turing Release? I did see info on the Broadcast software, but I'm thinking more along the lines of improvements in overall image quality at same bitrate.

A: For RTX 30 Series, we decided to focus improvements on the video decode side of things and added AV1 decode support. On the encode side, RTX 30 Series has the same great encoder as our RTX 20 Series GPU."

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/

Associate
This is not how NVENC works.
Its the same encoder as on the 2000 series.
However you should have no issue with 1080p60 as I run the same and can also record the stream locally at the same time just fine on a 2070s.
if your having issues then I would look elsewhere in your system.

Associate
Well i have a 3080 and i get horrendous lag even when i just record, i thought it might be driver related but i dont know, but ill be honest i dont understand the settings much but i followed loads of tutorials but i can tell you my 2070s performed better than this and i suffer a good 30fps frame drop when streaming.

32gb ram
Installed on a 1tb m.2

Back
Top Bottom