• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
why doesnt AMD release a card to compete with nvidias top cards like the 2080ti or 3080/90?

they use to have cards back in the day but now their big cards only compete with nvidias low end cards
Yeah man, why doesn't AMD make cards much better than Nvidia. 200% better at similar prices!

Makes no sense mate. They simply do what they can and it is what it is in the end. You need to understand they start designing these years before they hit the shelf. How are they to know how it will turn up against the competition. They do the best they can and see how it turns out. Do you really think AMD design their cards hoping to lose against the competition? Do you think they design them knowing they could easily make something better but just can't be bothered?

Here is another one. Why doesn't Intel make a CPU that is not filled with security holes and something much better than Ryzen? Why why? People ask silly questions like these. As if it was so easy. Lol :p

Soldato
Hah, no point waiting if you have a superior product, in fact they'd have liked to prepone to coincide with zen3 launch. Can't see any angle other than supply chain issues or a 3070 that is significantly inferior to navi (just ensure AMD has no comparable benchmarks at launch..)

Looks like a win guys, performance should be much better than 3070, but can it match the 3080?

Pre-empted? I think you're right, they do like to get everyone's cash before AMD even launch. Smart move.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Whut? It's a move purely based on saving face due to massive stock issues
Yeah, I agree. Chances are it has a lot more to do with this than what his imagination is coming up with :p

They now have much more information than they had before the presentation when they set those dates.

Soldato
The other metric to factor in is that until a year or two ago when Ryzen started to massively pay off, AMD's R&D budget compared to Nvidia's will have been tiny in the GPU space. They had some extremely talented staff keeping them where they were IMO (you must remember how much smaller AMD are compared to both Nvidia and Intel).

Now that Ryzen is really picking up steam and AMD have been able to pay off some debts, the logical factor is they will likely now be able to put more into R&D than before, and therefore there is a good chance they will go from strength to strength in this division, especially if head office see the need to get them back to the top.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Whut? It's a move purely based on saving face due to massive stock issues, I think we've already established that Nvidia brought forward the launch, with a tiny amount of stock, the performance metrics are totally irrelevant. All they've done is pee'd off people waiting for the RTX 3070, and those people are now going to end up waiting even longer effectively as it they miss the stock due to the bot match, they may end up waiting until January or longer. It's a trampy move by Nvidia and it effects consumers directly.

Correct, no big ball move @Grim5 just big balls up again. ;)

Soldato
Yeah man, why doesn't AMD make cards much better than Nvidia. 200% better at similar prices!

Here is another one. Why doesn't Intel make a CPU that is not filled with security holes and something much better than Ryzen? Why why? People ask silly questions like these. As if it was so easy. Lol :p

PMSL - its right though. This brand loyalty and snobbery is one thing, but demanding better products, that are cheaper and have x+y+z is unicorn stuff. Like we keep pointing out, AMD could produce a godlike product and only a few would change to it because the mindshare is too deep and the general consumers dont understand that for years AMD cards are equally capable of playing the same games with the same performance, the only exception to the rule has been the *080Ti's and people that can afford them are NOT your average gamer - period.

Soldato

Seriously, seriously - hype train aside, you really think Navi21 is going to rub shoulders with the 3070? - just lol. Im telling you, if this is another bollock dropped by nvidia where customers cant get hold of a 3070 with shortages, queues etc then its a total win for AMD this year. Cracking CPUs, power efficient cards, consoles... \o/

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Seriously, seriously - hype train aside, you really think Navi21 is going to rub shoulders with the 3070? - just lol. Im telling you, if this is another bollock dropped by nvidia where customers cant get hold of a 3070 with shortages, queues etc then its a total win for AMD this year. Cracking CPUs, power efficient cards, consoles... \o/
I am 99% sure the delay is because of shortages. If AMD can come with good amount of stock to fulfill demand then they will do well.

I mean what is the point of releasing the 3070 if for the whole world they have only a four figure sum of them? They will run out in minutes again. Fail.

Associate
I have a 5700xt AE watercooled, never been blown away by its performance, in fact i have been quite disappointed. What with the driver issues(black screens, PC lockups) i was plagued with and the low FPS(Imo) for a £400 graphics card, Tried Metro exodus and it was completely unplayable at anything near top settings.

Last £400 card i bought destroyed all games at highest settings(cod 2 days)

I do want the new AMD Card, but i am a little weary now. Although AMD seems to have fixed the driver issues for the 5700xt a while ago. I do not want to go through the same thing again.

I guess i am expecting somewhere near the £600 bracket from AMD for 3080 performance, but that is quite a lot of money for only a mid-higher tier card.

Caporegime
So latest rumours I read this morning on twitter has Big Navi 21 having twice the cores of 5700xt and running at 2500 boost speed plus IPC improvements so latest estimate is that it will be 2.6 times faster than the 5700xt.

Since a 2080ti is at best 30% faster than 5700xt, wouldnt this put the performance at about double a 2080ti?

And since in reality now we know the 3080 is only 20% faster than a 2080ti, this should put big navi faster than a 3090!

But i think it wont be as good on rtx or DLSS (or equivalent) so there will be winners and losers in games.

It will all come down to price.

Soldato
So latest rumours I read this morning on twitter has Big Navi 21 having twice the cores of 5700xt and running at 2500 boost speed plus IPC improvements so latest estimate is that it will be 2.6 times faster than the 5700xt.

Since a 2080ti is at best 30% faster than 5700xt, wouldnt this put the performance at about double a 2080ti?

And since in reality now we know the 3080 is only 20% faster than a 2080ti, this should put big navi faster than a 3090!

But i think it wont be as good on rtx or DLSS (or equivalent) so there will be winners and losers in games.

Rumours are that big Navi will be around 2200-2300. Navi 22 will be the one to hit 2500Mhz, not Navi 21. Nothing scales linearly and of course all of this is rumour just now anyway so don't invest too heavily.

I don't see why it would potentially be worse in ray tracing and something like DLSS I personally am not bothered about until it's in more than a dozen games.

Soldato

3090 is over double the cores of the 2080ti, does it have double the gaming performance? nope lol.
So why does double 5700xt cores somehow get double performance pass?

Associate
I don't see why it would potentially be worse in ray tracing and something like DLSS I personally am not bothered about until it's in more than a dozen games.

I would agree that RT is that relevant right now, but with the upcoming consoles supporting it and thus probably more and more games starting to support it, we'll end up with a situation one day were people are going to be unhappy if consoles have better graphics than PC's. So I do think getting RT capable GPU's is a good thing. It will take some time before a large chunk of people are able to run it though.

Soldato
Hah, no point waiting if you have a superior product, in fact they'd have liked to prepone to coincide with zen3 launch. Can't see any angle other than supply chain issues or a 3070 that is significantly inferior to navi (just ensure AMD has no comparable benchmarks at launch..)

Looks like a win guys, performance should be much better than 3070, but can it match the 3080?

Wouldn't make sense, but who knows what Jensen has planned.

If big Navi is faster, no one will bat an eye at the 3070 the day after - everyone pull be putting in 6900xt orders. If its not faster, 3070 orders will fly off the shelves the next day.

The 3070 is either matching/faster than big Navi or its going to be DOA, its one of the two, there is no other option based on Nvidia's release date choice.

The main reason I think it's leaning towards the former is that if you know your product is worse, you will launch first. Look at Intel, they know their 10980xe is crap, so they launched it one day BEFORE the 3960x/3970x so reviews didn't compare them directly. Launching your card the day AFTER means you cannot escape the comparisons - you don't launch after when you are worried about your image

Soldato
I would agree that RT is that relevant right now, but with the upcoming consoles supporting it and thus probably more and more games starting to support it, we'll end up with a situation one day were people are going to be unhappy if consoles have better graphics than PC's. So I do think getting RT capable GPU's is a good thing. It will take some time before a large chunk of people are able to run it though.

Absolutely, I didn't mean I don't care about RT but consoles won't be ahead of AMD GPUs that way because AMD are providing RT to the consoles. I believe ray tracing is the future of lighting and shadow rendering but DLSS is not important to me until it's actually supported by more than select titles.

Soldato
Nvidia is delaying the RTX3070 as they are not confident it will beat what AMD has in the segment.

Hence launching the day after means they can adjust pricing pre-emptively if AMD has a decent competitor. After all they don't want a repeat of the GTX280 where they had to rebate people who bought the GPU weeks earlier.

Associate
Look at Intel, they know their 10980xe is crap, so they launched it one day BEFORE the 3960x/3970x

Self contradictory argument.. thats exactly one of the possibilities I have suggested, nvidia doesn't want the 3070 to be compared with navi at launch...Nvidia couldve achieved a similar result by launching the 3070 on 27th October

Associate
I feel that the postponement by Nvidia looks like positive news for Navi, in hindsight waiting seems to be a good decision.. no point buying a brand new 3080 only to find it's ars handed by a competitor after one month.. if it doesn't look good you still have the 3080 to fall back on :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom