The Good ol' days

Soldato
When that girl you fancied came online on MSN so you signed in and out lots of times so she would get the notifications and hopefully message you.

My now-wife used to ignore me all the time on MSN. I wasn't cool enough. I remember changing status all the time to make yours cooler. I had word of the week for a while, which I always chose. No wonder she ignored me...

Permabanned
You can still get msn messenger, dc++ go into chat rooms e.t.c They do still exist and they do still work. :p

Disagree here. I grew up in the 90s and the offline/online divide was still quite clear there, I had a similar online experience as you all describe. It's only really post 2000 where that definitively died. I would definitely consider my age bracket the last that had a 'real' childhood.

You mean you actually had to knock on peoples doors and ask if they where coming out?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Disagree here. I grew up in the 90s and the offline/online divide was still quite clear there, I had a similar online experience as you all describe. It's only really post 2000 where that definitively died. I would definitely consider my age bracket the last that had a 'real' childhood.

Actually that's fair enough - the internet started reaching ubiquity in the early 2000s, so those who grew up in the '90s would still be in that bracket.

Caporegime
Yahoo Games is the main one that springs to mind.

hotornot.com where you rated peoples photos 1-10, today the permanently offended would probably have it shut down inside a day and police would probably be raiding their premises over vague hate crime laws.

Soldato
When that girl you fancied came online on MSN so you signed in and out lots of times so she would get the notifications and hopefully message you.

People also used to link their Windows Media Player to MSN Messenger so that along with your "online status" it would say what song you were listening to. Yet another tool to make you look "cool" in the online world if you listened to all the latest tunes!

Soldato
People also used to link their Windows Media Player to MSN Messenger so that along with your "online status" it would say what song you were listening to. Yet another tool to make you look "cool" in the online world if you listened to all the latest tunes!

When I was at friends house I would change the name of a song to something like Gay gangbang - backdoor hunks part 4 and play it, so it would show up on their now playing status.

Soldato
Reading through the thread brings back lots of memories!

I'd say ICQ for me was my first messenger. I ended up meeting my first girlfriend on that. I installed an addon that let me use voice instead of typing. But it was such low bandwidth it could only voice one way at a time, so effectively it was like a cb radio.

Napster was a big one.. I remember when Yahoo was the main site people went to. Or as someone else mentioned altavista.

Does anyone remember the days prior to websites? When the Internet was all text? I think we used the gopher command to search things.

I was mostly on BBS's before the Internet became mainstream. I remember the whole usenet / newsgroups. BBS's create a big delivery circle and would upload and download certain text groups. So if you posted a message to a group you had to wait a week before you could dial in to the BBS to see if anyone replied to you. FidoNet (and others) that were mentioned earlier was also part of that.

I remember the realplayer too. .rm .ra and .ram - I think they failed because it was hard to play them on other devices and also difficult (impossible?) to convert to another format.

I remember playing some Ultima Online but stopped playing when this snake kept killing me! I also played a game called eternal-lands that I think is still around today.

I know this is a long shot if anyone was in to BBS's back in the day do you remember The Forest BBS?

Permabanned
Used to spend hours and hours making my own terrible websites for whatever MOH clan I was in at the time. These included all manner of funky text effects and scrolling banners.

Can’t remember the exact sites, but free webs and geocities rings a bell.

MSN Messenger - we used to see each other all day at school, then rush home to all talk for hours online :D

Does HTML still support marquee effects? :D

Watching dragon ball Z mixed to linkin Park .Rm

RealPlayer, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. God damn.

Permabanned
Why the hell did it come bundled with everything and why was it such a pain to uninstall?!

I seem to remember that t the time it was the default media player for the "corporate" internet, like news and media outlet websites before Flash became a thing (lol, rip). It was one of those examples of big media trying to weaponise spending for software installs before realising that the money was better spent harvesting user data and selling that on to whoever would pay for it.

Permabanned
Jeez. What a horrible, but useful thing Realplayer was.

Limewire and kazaa- the source of most of my mates' virus problems. I'd tell them, but they wouldn't listen...

The P2P programs were fine in and of themselves, but they were an early warning of what happens when programs designed by tech people get into the hands of non-techie people. Who would've thought "anna_nicole_smith_sex_tape.exe" was an untrustworthy file? :o

Commissario
The P2P programs were fine in and of themselves, but they were an early warning of what happens when programs designed by tech people get into the hands of non-techie people. Who would've thought "anna_nicole_smith_sex_tape.exe" was an untrustworthy file? :o
I remember trying to download the second Harry Potter film over Kazaa and being confused that the file name ended in .exe even though it was about 2gb :confused:

Back
Top Bottom