Son wants an iPhone like his mates

Soldato
I haven't bought an iphone in years - never looked back since I changed to android so I don't know much about them now or where to buy a good one

His budget ill only allow for an 8+

See so many people getting scammed on marketplaces with bricked or stolen phones

Where is the best place to buy a second hand iphone at a reasonable price?

Soldato
Keep an eye on hotukdeals for eBay deals and then buy from a reputable reseller that offers hassle free returns if the phone has a knackered battery or something. As an example, there was an iPhone X for £290 the other day.

Soldato
You could try Amazon Renewed (their name for refurbished). I’ve bought two iPhone X from them in the past for family and they’ve been in perfect condition barring the battery health being down a few percent.

Soldato
Get him a cheap Chinese dumb phone if he’s still at school - PAYG is your friend.

I only got iPhones for my daughters rather than dumb phones because I could get lat year’s iPhones for silly money at the time.

Man of Honour
It's a tricky one because Apple phones are unnecessarily overpriced in my opinion. But I do understand the peer pressure to have one. I have to admit to getting my kids iphones and ipads too in the past. When I was looking for a used phone I would only buy from here in the MM.

Soldato
MusicMagpie or CEX are not bad options, they give you warranty and are at least a proper company so you have some recourse with any issues.

Soldato
I’m in agreement
Value in the SE kills the idea of a refurb anywhere else tbh

I don't agree. A decent refurb XS is a better product than an SE and can be found cheaper.

EDIT - unless the smaller size is absolutely vital, which isn't clear from the OP.

Soldato
Better camera system, better processor ...

refurb probably means dodgy display replacement and / or degraded battery.

unless you want bigger I struggle to see the appeal

Soldato
nokia 102. children shouldn't need smartphones. nor do most adults for that matter, but whatever distraction therapy gets you through the day I guess.

Soldato
Better camera system, better processor ...

refurb probably means dodgy display replacement and / or degraded battery.

Buy from a reputable place and if it's faulty, send it back.

As for the better processor, I don't think it's particularly important - the A12 is good enough for anything currently out there and will be good enough for the lifespan of the device.

The XS is a two-year-old premium device. The over-deified SE is a terribly dated form factor with a massively overpowered SoC given how few pixels it needs to move. Give me an XS any day of the week.

Soldato
I would only get a refurb from Apple for this reason. If you buy it from anyone else, you have no idea what you're getting.

Apple do a proper job on their refurbs and are one of the few companies who do so (that I know about). The trouble is, many people who want a second hand device want to pay second hand prices. A 64gb refurb XS is £700 on the Apple website. That's a lot of money for a two-year-old phone that can be picked up for under £400 elsewhere and with a 12 month warranty.

Soldato
I would only get a refurb from Apple for this reason. If you buy it from anyone else, you have no idea what you're getting.
I’d add Amazon to that list personally. As I mentioned in a post above, I’ve bought two iPhone X from their renewed section, and they’ve been faultless. One had a battery with 96% battery health and the other had 94%. No damage, no scratches, nothing. Perfect displays.

Back
Top Bottom