Won’t Post

Permabanned
hmmmm but it’s not even knocked, moved changed or had anything done to it. Surely it can’t just....... break?

Electronics, it can fail and it has. As a PC Builder you need to find out where/what’s gone wrong unless you pay someone to do it for you.

If you have tried monitor on another PC and that comes on it’s not the monitor.

If you have tried another GPU in that PC and that GPU on another PC if it works it isn’t the GPU.

Your CPU in another PC would indicate if it’s a CPU fault or not.

If it ain’t the CPU it could be either motherboard or even possibly the power supply not supplying enough juice.

Very simple logics involved here.

Soldato
hmmmm but it’s not even knocked, moved changed or had anything done to it. Surely it can’t just....... break?
Possible, depend on what volts you are running or what load it is been put on. Sometimes CPU can develop a fault randomly tho it is mostly due to degradation. But for the IO to fail is something. Anyway you got a B450 board coming in so you will know soon.

Yes forgot to mention your PSU can also randomly develop issues. Caps, mosfet or even the controller. Anyway don’t be surprised these sort of things happen. You have done most of the debugging and only got 3 possible components left.

Soldato
This is why POST code LEDs are such a good idea, all boards should have them. Is it just the Tomahawk MAX board that has them?

"all I get is either no signal or a load of multicoloured lines across the screen."

Does say GPU to me.

Have you taken everything out of the case and assembled on a box? Always worth a shot

Soldato
OP
This is why POST code LEDs are such a good idea, all boards should have them. Is it just the Tomahawk MAX board that has them?

"all I get is either no signal or a load of multicoloured lines across the screen."

Does say GPU to me.

Have you taken everything out of the case and assembled on a box? Always worth a shot
Yes I’ll do that later.

I don’t get any error lights on the board - they go red and then go out entirely as is the norm - this suggests to me that there isn’t any errors on the CPU either!

I guess I’ll see later today - it’s such a ball ache taking it all out but needs must I suppose.

oh and the power supply is a rather fancy seasonic gold rated 1000W job (This can still break I appreciate)

Soldato
OP
So weirdly I took the CMOS battery off again and left it over night. Cane back to it early this afternoon and tried....... and it worked.

I still had the horizontal lines but slowly and surely they disappeared - almost like they were sinking from the middle of the screen to the bottom and eventually disappeared entirely. It’s the weirdest thing

Man of Honour
So weirdly I took the CMOS battery off again and left it over night. Cane back to it early this afternoon and tried....... and it worked.

I still had the horizontal lines but slowly and surely they disappeared - almost like they were sinking from the middle of the screen to the bottom and eventually disappeared entirely. It’s the weirdest thing

I would tempted to update the bios if applicable what version do you have ?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

Back
Top Bottom