Picking up Windows 10 USB

Associate
Hi all,

Just installed a new 970 Evo Plus (m.2) into my Asus Maximus IX Formula board (Z270 chipset). No other components have changed.

Wanting to do a fresh USB install of Windows onto this drive but I'm not seeming to pick up the Windows USB on boot.

I've been into UEFI BIOS and under the boot section I can see all my drives including the new one but no drop down option for USB?

If i exit BIOS the screen just goes black and nothing loads.

The Windows USB stick is plugged in at time of booting into USB 3.0 slot in the rear IO shield.

I haven't done a Windows install for years and can't work out what I'm missing!

Advice welcome thanks.

Alex

Associate
OP
Update: I moved the USB stick to a non 3.0 slot at the back and it showed up on BIOS. Set it to 1st boot priority but nothing is happening. Just sat at a blank screen.

Associate
have you amde sure the usb is bootable? Been a while using the media creation tool but i normally use something like rufus to create a bootable usb with the Win10 iso file

Associate
have you made sure the usb is bootable? Been a while using the media creation tool but i normally use something like rufus to create a bootable usb with the Win10 iso file
I have to agree with this, and reasons why I don't like the Microsoft Media Creation tool.

Okay, trying with a new USB and not the official Windows one I had. Will see what happens once the media creation tool has finished.
Sounds like it can't boot using the EFI file for your official stick. Does it work in other PCs?

Any further update?

Associate
I've had this happen to me in the past when using the Media Creation Tool. I found that it was creating a MBR image which would only be seen if the Bios was set to CSM/Legacy mode.

As others have suggested, use Rufus to create a UEFI/GPT image which should then be recognised.

Soldato
Use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO.

Download Rufus, select the ISO and USB stick and, as mention above, make sure GPT is selected.

Associate
Use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO.
Slight issue: I don't think you have the option to.

Easiest way: use a Linux Live distro (eg Linux Mint, Ubuntu etc) to obtain the Windows 10 ISO (I've also read somewhere that you can change the emulation mode on web broswers but I'm sure I have tried that before and it didn't work too well), copy to a hard drive (unless downlaoding onto a bootable PC: USB sticks will complain it is out of space, even when there is loads of space available) then use Rufus to create the USB stick)

Soldato
Slight issue: I don't think you have the option to.

The option is there if you choose the update is for another PC. Then the see the option for USB or ISO.

However, the OP might have an old USB formatted for MBR. The MCT should support UEFI as that's what the majority are using now out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom