Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I think all the blades are compatible but you need to use a hex bit to take them on and off the Bosch or if you use non quick release Bosch’s blades on a tool with quick release (if that makes sense!).

The dewalt and Ebauer attachments are quick release but only if the tool has one (like the dewalt). You just pull down the handle and pop the attachment off and stick a new one in. Going back to swapping attachments with a hex bit it would be a right pain after using the dewalt quick release system. I don’t buy attachments that aren’t quick release.

Soldato
Yes, i had a corded Makita one and returned it for the Dewalt, the quick release system makes thinks so much easier.

I believe there are 2 fitting types for the hole arrangements as i've bought some cheap bits from Lidl which don't fit my Dewalt. The Ebauer ones are fine though and a lot cheaper than the Dewalt bits.

Soldato
Yes, i had a corded Makita one and returned it for the Dewalt, the quick release system makes thinks so much easier.

I believe there are 2 fitting types for the hole arrangements as i've bought some cheap bits from Lidl which don't fit my Dewalt. The Ebauer ones are fine though and a lot cheaper than the Dewalt bits.
My dewalt one has a circular ring in the box with it but no idea what fitting that is for, i've not needed it anyways

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Dewalt 355 user, and it's great got me out of a pickle many times, grabbed mine when Ebay were doing a 20% off FFX voucher, body only with accessory kit. Accessory kit as has been said before is bulked by a load of sanding pads, I think you only get 4 cutting blades in the kit. Used various blades Erbauer ones are cheap and last reasonably well, anything that doesn't fit the quick release should fit the spindle I believe. I was already into the Dewalt eco system but my mate bought the Bosch cordless after seeing how handy mine was, he's a Bosch user. Having used both the Bosch edges it on size and weight I also like the 6 speed option as opposed to the variable speed trigger on the Dewalt.

Soldato
Looking for a dry wall sander for good dust control. Screwfix have an evolution extendable one (has issues with the lights busting quick) and a hand held one. I have a numatic vac already (the metal bigger brother of the Henry hoovers) that has enough suction for dust control. Thinking of this one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-eb225dwshh-225mm-electric-drywall-sander-240v/692fj

Initially for getting a smooth paint finish for the bathroom crack repair - previously I've used my 3/4 sheet orbital sander and the dust was everywhere. Having seen the builder use the extendable one on the kitchen I'm interested in getting one for painting as there is a reduction of dust due to the suction case over the moving head. I'll use it for any other painting we need todo - including the stairs..

Any other suggestions?

jcr

jcr

Associate
Looking for a dry wall sander for good dust control. Screwfix have an evolution extendable one (has issues with the lights busting quick) and a hand held one. I have a numatic vac already (the metal bigger brother of the Henry hoovers) that has enough suction for dust control. Thinking of this one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-eb225dwshh-225mm-electric-drywall-sander-240v/692fj

Initially for getting a smooth paint finish for the bathroom crack repair - previously I've used my 3/4 sheet orbital sander and the dust was everywhere. Having seen the builder use the extendable one on the kitchen I'm interested in getting one for painting as there is a reduction of dust due to the suction case over the moving head. I'll use it for any other painting we need todo - including the stairs..

Any other suggestions?
use a hand sander
https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexovit-hand-sander-185-x-93mm/9350g

Soldato

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Picked up a second hand Wagner W200 paint sprayer to do my fences... wow! I wish I bought one of these when I was painting the whole house, sooooo much quick and easier, and the finish is really professional. Me likey :D

Soldato
Picked up a second hand Wagner W200 paint sprayer to do my fences... wow! I wish I bought one of these when I was painting the whole house, sooooo much quick and easier, and the finish is really professional. Me likey :D

I bought one for spraying mdf, so much quicker than painting and better finish only drawback is they use a lot of paint if you only do a small amount of stuff

Man of Honour

Bought one earlier this year but getting the fence paint was a nightmare during lockdown and prices had been massively hiked.
Ended up buying off a bloke on Marketplace who insisted he delivered at £5 for 9 litres - ask no questions.
Anyway, highly recommended toy.

Soldato
Looking for a good outdoor work light for illuminating a pond dig I'm doing. Now it gets to end of the WFH at 1730-1800 and the light is going. So I want something that allows an hour or two of work a night. I have an inspection light and a battery powered butterfly light but I'm after something that will do an area:
* 4m by 4m and 1.5-3m range,
* can stand by itself and/or be clamped to an overhead wood beam
* IP67 - IP68 rating so if it rains or falls into water I'm not going to get electrocuted and if it's not going to suck the dust up.
* cope will a 2-3m fall onto hard concrete (for when I'm laying the blocks etc)
* runs on mains AC.

One option is simply get a wall mount flood light (not overly fussed with PIR) so after I can stick it on the garage for working in the garden. I've seen that the LED ones seem to die quite quickly, hence wanting something that's not going to die.

edit: looks like the Phillips Osram LEDadvance or the Endura range seem widely available. Decent power (30, 50, 100W for example) and are IP67 rated. Only way to get IP68 seems to be go for a marine light ($$$).

Last edited:
Associate
I'd just pick up a used 110v transformer from fb market or gumtree and use 110v site lights.... Simple, cheap, quick.

Looking for a good outdoor work light for illuminating a pond dig I'm doing. Now it gets to end of the WFH at 1730-1800 and the light is going. So I want something that allows an hour or two of work a night. I have an inspection light and a battery powered butterfly light but I'm after something that will do an area:
* 4m by 4m and 1.5-3m range,
* can stand by itself and/or be clamped to an overhead wood beam
* IP67 - IP68 rating so if it rains or falls into water I'm not going to get electrocuted and if it's not going to suck the dust up.
* cope will a 2-3m fall onto hard concrete (for when I'm laying the blocks etc)
* runs on mains AC.

One option is simply get a wall mount flood light (not overly fussed with PIR) so after I can stick it on the garage for working in the garden. I've seen that the LED ones seem to die quite quickly, hence wanting something that's not going to die.

edit: looks like the Phillips Osram LEDadvance or the Endura range seem widely available. Decent power (30, 50, 100W for example) and are IP67 rated. Only way to get IP68 seems to be go for a marine light ($$$).

Soldato
For those of you with leaf blower/vacuums. How good are the vacuum parts? Do they handle wet leaves etc?

At the moment I have a cordless Dewalt blower only. It does a good job but I have often think it’d be a lot better to have a vacuum/shredder.

We live next to a river bank so this time of year is a nightmare with leaves from all the trees.

Initially I was adamant I wanted cordless but thinking about it I’d actually consider a 240v version for better performance.

Caporegime
For those of you with leaf blower/vacuums. How good are the vacuum parts? Do they handle wet leaves etc?

At the moment I have a cordless Dewalt blower only. It does a good job but I have often think it’d be a lot better to have a vacuum/shredder.

We live next to a river bank so this time of year is a nightmare with leaves from all the trees.

Initially I was adamant I wanted cordless but thinking about it I’d actually consider a 240v version for better performance.

I always buy corded apart from screwdriver and drills.

The only thing I have recently converted to cordless is the vacuum to a shark cordless because I had to.

Everything else is corded because it's usually £100 cheaper and 3 times as powerful.

Only buy cordless if it really must be.

Back
Top Bottom