The Good ol' days

You can still get msn messenger, dc++ go into chat rooms e.t.c They do still exist and they do still work. :p

Is it still possible to use MSN Messenger? A friend and I chatted over MSN using Pidgin clients. In 2013, Microsoft announced that it was shutting down MSN, although we were able to carry on using it for another year. Then during an evening in late 2014, the service suddenly stopped mid-chat and it never came back. After a few nights, we decided that MSN was finally gone and we switched Pidgin over to the Jabber network and been on it ever since up to the present day.

Ratemypoo

Rate my poo? Surely that's just an OcUK / GD thing :p

What was the origin of that animation and what was it to do with the internet? It's the first time I've seen it online, but I used to see it all the time on the CRT screens at my local nightclub. That was formerly the "Colosseum" in Stafford, now called Club Couture. That was in the late 90s and the fancy 3D graphics reminded me of mid-90s dance music videos.

Soldato
MSN with my gf after school, she used to send so many of the "knock on screen" things, drove me mad. Remember on MSN those stupidly long display names? I just put "Gaz" and left it lol.

First used a computer in '95 at school. Had those dust covers on 'em.

Fond memories playing Network Q RAC Rally with wheel and pedals in the 90's and my nan even had a go.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember when you actually had to "go" on the Internet by making a dial up connection. Now it's just constantly there and always on when you switch your PC on or open your laptop thanks to WiFi (or ethernet) and it's even constantly on in our pockets on our smart phones.

It's not like the good old days.

Permabanned
I remember when you actually had to "go" on the Internet by making a dial up connection. Now it's just constantly there and always on when you switch your PC on or open your laptop thanks to WiFi (or ethernet) and it's even constantly on in our pockets on our smart phones.

It's not like the good old days.

Stick a link on your desktop to a youtube clip and play that before you open the rest of the net lol.

Man of Honour
MSN messenger or ICQ - but broadband didn't come about until I was at uni anyway where we had JANET which was my first real taste of fast internet.

I remember us getting a second line specifically for the internet and I helped my father create a windows ICS machine so we could share the internet. 28k even 56k was bloody awful. But websites used to load fast - a lot less junk on them than there is now, and less adverts!

Also used a lot of BBS and met lots of weird and wonderful people from across the world which was absolutely fascinating to me, even though I used to travel around the world - being able to chat to people on my computer was so "cool"!

Associate
OP
MSN with my gf after school, she used to send so many of the "knock on screen" things, drove me mad. Remember on MSN those stupidly long display names? I just put "Gaz" and left it lol.

First used a computer in '95 at school. Had those dust covers on 'em.

Fond memories playing Network Q RAC Rally with wheel and pedals in the 90's and my nan even had a go.

Are you telling me that you never changed your name to exactly the same as somebody else from school? You would then get people messaging you thinking you were somebody else.

Soldato
I took the day off work (still living at home) to get 512kb of pure lightning installed by Telewest (before they were Blueyonder) I had to fit a LAN card to my PC, the engineer came and installed the line and router called hilariously a "Surfboard" or was that later?

I was told it would activate later that day and that I should keep an eye on the routers lights and when they went green it was live. It wasn't till the evening I was playing Couterstrike 1.6 with my mates, looked down and the lights were green!!! I disconnected dial up and reconnected via the broadband. I remember my ping had gone from 128 to something like 33.

Incredible times, there was no looking back.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to work from a home workshop in the 1990's, I used to walk up to the house for a quick lunch and then play Quake or go online to play BF1 Desert Combat, sometimes for two hours. I had dialup which blocked the phoneline and the missus would come home from work and say she tried three times to ring me. So I had to tell her I was inundated with inquiries and orders :p

Permabanned
Can anybody remember Freeserve? Was my first Internet provider.

Hell yeah! They used to give away CDs on magazines advertising something like 100 free hours. I must've had like 50 different freeserve email addresses signing up to those.

I didn't realise that it was only free whilst you were on Freeserve's homepage and my Dad wasn't too impressed at a £200 phone bill. :D

Back
Top Bottom