Enola Holmes - Netflix Film (Millie Bobby Brown as Sherlock Holmes teen sister).

Man of Honour
Thought it was a bit crap, there wasn't enough Sherlock in the Sherlock character and yeah it just seemed to forget about the mum bit at the end. Just didn't seem smart enough to be a Sherlock Holmes branch.

Man of Honour
Cavill is actually "ok" in it, think I would watch an entire movie of the character. Sadly the rest of the movie is a bit crud, I dont like Millie Bobby Brown at all and the Mycroft portrayal annoyed me. Bring back Mark Gatiss!

Yeah I felt pretty similar - I quite liked the character Cavill plays and the dynamic between his character and Enola but it just wasn't Sherlock and felt like Cavill was just having fun more than anything else. I'd actually watch something based on the two. Didn't mind Millie in this though it was touch and go at times - find her a bit annoying in other stuff but thought she managed to convey a lot about the character. Mycroft portrayal likewise didn't like - you didn't really feel it was Mycroft the character could have been almost any one and was a bit disconnected in a way.

Thought it was a bit crap, there wasn't enough Sherlock in the Sherlock character and yeah it just seemed to forget about the mum bit at the end. Just didn't seem smart enough to be a Sherlock Holmes branch.

There is a whole tragedy implied about the mother - which I think is a lot of the problem with the movie - they've gone so far with not throwing the plot development in the viewers face it goes the other way and the ambiguity leaves you wondering if they were just too lazy to write it in even though there is some quite heavy implied development throughout.

Overall I found it a bit rocky - it sort of worked but it sort of didn't but didn't quite annoy me enough I lost interest in watching it.

Soldato
OP
Found it a bit "meh" - 4/10 - TBH and was expecting better. The actors did an OK job and seemed to be having fun but the story/script was pretty poor and disjointed in places.

Associate
Too teen for me and I turned off after about 30 minutes. I didn’t like her talking to the fourth wall every 5 minutes as well that was too annoying.

Caporegime
I quite liked it, it's clearly marketed for teens/young adults etc.. but kind of an enjoyable, family friendly film. bit of Netflix forced "wokeness" but I guess that's standard these days...

Anyone else notice the girls school headmistress was the same actress from three men and a little lady... literally acting the same way around Mycroft as she did re: Tom Selleck's character in that movie too.

Anyone know what the reason is for the confused aristocratic title? Like a Viscount and a Marquess are two different titles... a Viscount is normally (but not exclusively) the oldest son of a Marquess or an Earl using thier father's secondary title (if it exists) as a courtesy title, though IIRC a few Viscounts are simply Viscounts not as a courtesy but as their highest title. Likewise if the Marquess or Earl's has a third title: Baron whatever then their grandson (eldest son's eldest son), if he exists, gets that as a courtesey title.

For someone to be known as both a Viscount and a Marquess is a bit odd?

In this case the kid's dad had died so while he might have formerly been known as a Viscount when his dad was alive and he was the heir he would now be a Marquess now as he's inherited the title and that's the senior one..

I mentioned it in another thread but it really bothers me that:

The mum subplot just ended? Did they have a budget cut?!

It was highly inferred that the inspiring ‘justice for all mum’ was actually a terrorist... I expected Enola to realise that her mum’s plan was to blow up all the lords at the vote for ‘real justice’. It was set up for exactly that. But... nope?
confused.gif

Well I assumed there was a reason for that:
Enola blew up the warehouse with all the explosives in during the fight with the bloke sent to kill the Viscount/Marquess kid.

They did mention it twice after that - both when Sherlock comes to meet her at her school and when she meets up with her mother at the end and the mother comments on Enola's role in passing the bill, how she'd essentially been more effective etc..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I assumed there was a reason for that:

It is heavily implied that but for chance she'd have done something truly dreadful and hence unforgivable despite good intentions hence the emotional scenes at the end as Enola is struggling with reconciling it with her relationship with her mother - but it is so inferred and under-developed it is a bit lacking.

Back
Top Bottom