First ever PC build

Associate
Hi guys,

I am soon to be in the market for a new custom build PC. I will be coming from a 2011 iMac which has just died. Having given some consideration for what I want the machine to do I would like it to play games at a comparable level to a PS5 or Xbox Series X (or slightly better) while also acting as my go to machine for daily work use (mostly word processing with some very very light photo/video editing).

The idea is then to hook up a PS5 to the monitor as well later down the line (to enjoy the console exclusives) so that will be a consideration as well. I don't need the PC to be an absolute powerhouse that would run Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k 120fps+ on ultra settings but would like to get performance similar to or slightly above a next gen game console. I am thinking a 27 monitor is what I want as that is what I had in my iMac well but eagerly await your advice with regards to this.

My budget would be around the £700-£800 mark starting from essentially scratch is this doable? (I don't mind holding off until the new year if prices are expected to drop).

Last edited:
Associate
Similar performance to next gen consoles is likely going to be difficult at that budget (and that’s assuming monitor isn’t included). Worth waiting to see what AMDs new GPUs are offering when they’re announced at the end of the month but probably will be hard to get hold of them for a while

Soldato
Release of Zen3 architecture Ryzens in 8th day should start clear drop in prices of current Zen2, if budget is tight.
Though with apparently nice boost coming to single core performance 6 core might perform same as current 8 core.

On graphics card side it will be time before console equal GPUs are available for that budget.
Lot depends of performance of RDNA2 cards.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, so on that sort of budget what sort of level of gaming am I looking at? Would it be better than PS4 Pro/One X or worse than that?

Soldato
Those old low end hardware already as new consoles are easy to beat.
Next-gen consoles are entirely different beasts.

Associate
Right now this is around what you can expect:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £796.22 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Comfortably better than current consoles but will be a fair bit behind next gen.

Terrible time to buy though, the ryzen 3600 is about £70 more than it was a couple months back and new lower end GPUs should hopefully bring a lot more power for the same sort of price.

So yeah, would definitely wait for new ryzen CPUs and AMD GPUs to release before buying. NVidias 3060 may be announced soon too

Back
Top Bottom