• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone not going to upgrade their GPU this year, come what may?

Soldato
I don't plan on buying anything new (including CPU) for a while yet.

I built this computer nearly two years ago and it's still doing fine with what i play and i planned on keeping this computer for 5 years.

Associate
I kinda got caught up in the hype but don't need an upgrade. Although my 2080 doesn't give me the performance I want is the issue since going to a 3440*1440 screen..... But it's not worth selling a kidney for. I am disappointed the pricing especially when the 3070 launches will destroy the used market as I've ridden the upgrade train for many years, getting a decent price for my 980 just before 20** series launch. Is what it is. Although I think the consoles are in for a decent generational leap so Nvidia will stand to lose a shed tonne of business if they don't fix things pretty soon.

Soldato
I was going to buy the 3080 FE but decided instead to upgrade the rest of the pc after the launch madness. stop-gap 3600 on the cheap, new motherboard and ram. I'll buy a Zen3 and see how my Vega64 gets on with Cyberpunk at 1440p before I buy a new graphics card

Soldato
I game at ultrawide, almost all games I play are not hitting fps cap, so I'm looking forward to having much smoother gameplay above 100fps.
Am not a hardcore gamer anymore so am happy with 60+FPS

My eye sight nothing like what it used to be 6+ years ago so i very much doubt i would even notice any difference between 70FPS & 110FPS :(

Soldato
I downgraded to a 1050 Ti as I had one spare which just kept me gaming on a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor at 30-40 fps. As soon as I realized this could take a lot longer to pan out I kept my eye on the clearance section and bought an RX 5600XT. Surprisingly good on the mentioned monitor and easily able to keep fps above 60 with high settings in the games I'm currently playing.

As I used to cap fps to 75 anyway on my previous 1080 Ti I'm hardly missing out in the gaming experience so far as Ultra settings for example don't always make that much difference.

Associate
Looks like anyone 1000+ in the queue isn't going to upgrade this year either.

I'll wait until next year maybe if a new game release that gets my interest until then happy out.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I didnt pay much attention to the last couple of gens releases. Was it always like this, or are people sensitive to the fact that this generation launched in September, yet most people are not going to have the product till 2021 (some 3+ months later)?

Im only casting my memory back a few weeks here when I was reading lots of chatter about "its game over for AMD as they have not released anything, no leaks, its months away" and being late to the party. :confused:

Permabanned
For me it'll depend on Big Navi, when it's available & pricing, I just sold my 5700 XT so I'm now using an RX 480 with a 3440x1440 monitor (it struggles) so if Big Navi's not out this year I may go for a 3070 now that Nvidia support adaptive sync, I saw an article where they tested a lot of adaptive-sync monitors to find out which are G-sync compatible & my monitor was listed as working fine.

Associate
I didnt pay much attention to the last couple of gens releases. Was it always like this, or are people sensitive to the fact that this generation launched in September, yet most people are not going to have the product till 2021 (some 3+ months later)?

The 2080 launched Sept 20th. I ordered an FE from Nvidia on Oct 15th with next day delivery. I remember it was after the arse fell out of mining. It's definitely a manufacturing and supply chain issue this year maybe due to the pandemic .. sure bots and flea bay are an issue but there is what a handful of physical cards for sale and maybe 20 pre orders for sale... So it's hardly the sole cause.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The 2080 launched Sept 20th. I ordered an FE from Nvidia on Oct 15th with next day delivery. I remember it was after the arse fell out of mining. It's definitely a manufacturing and supply chain issue this year maybe due to the pandemic .. sure bots and flea bay are an issue but there is what a handful of physical cards for sale and maybe 20 pre orders for sale... So it's hardly the sole cause.

Aye, but bots and scalpers have been around for a while. Its not like these companies havnt got years of selling experience to fall back on. If there was a supply issue, they would know about it, and should have put measures in to combat the scalpers+bots, pretty poor IMO.

Agree with you on the mining the last time.

Soldato
Been trying to get a 3080 but the drama of trying to do that is putting me off buying this year. If AMD release something decent I won't be surprised of a NV mid-gen refresh this time around, on the new 7nm(8).
With the weather changing I fired up a game today I started a while ago. Wolfenstein Young Blood. At 1440P my 2 Y/O 2080 was high 60's/early 70's of usage most of the time using the GFE recommended settings, which given im using a 9900K made me realise it's still a good GPU. So, I shouldn't be in a rush to upgrade until I need the extra performance for a newer game, really. New shiny is always tempting tho and I'm sure when I got back to carry on BFV single player and Metro Exodus I'll wish it had a bit more ooomph

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Been trying to get a 3080 but the drama of trying to do that is putting me off buying this year. If AMD release something decent I won't be surprised of a NV mid-gen refresh this time around, on the new 7nm(8).
With the weather changing I fired up a game today I started a while ago. Wolfenstein Young Blood. At 1440P my 2 Y/O 2080 was high 60's/early 70's of usage most of the time using the GFE recommended settings, which given im using a 9900K made me realise it's still a good GPU. So, I shouldn't be in a rush to upgrade until I need the extra performance for a newer game, really. New shiny is always tempting tho and I'm sure when I got back to carry on BFV single player and Metro Exodus I'll wish it had a bit more ooomph
3080 is a nice upgrade over the 2080 ain’t it? What’s funny is you get near double the performance for less money. So glad I skipped Turding :p;)

Soldato
3080 is a nice upgrade over the 2080 ain’t it? What’s funny is you get near double the performance for less money. So glad I skipped Turding :p;)
Definitely. Just with all the hassles getting one, and given my lack time gaming of late, I'm just thinking in my case I might be better waiting a while and seeing how it pans out. Last few gens I've purchased around release date, the best time to buy IMO (get the most out of the purchase). But of course that's difficult to do this time around. I probably won't even finish Wolfenstein this side of Xmas and in that title at least, the 2080 is performing brilliantly.

Good to see you splashed out on a 3080 :D. I recall you were gonna get the 70. THink you made the best choice imo.

Soldato
As a 1440p 144Mhz gamer, and someone that typically does upgrade each year, I’ve decided that my 2080S does everything I want and then some, and because MrsHB bought me the card, it has more sentimental value so I’ll be skipping this gen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Definitely. Just with all the hassles getting one, and given my lack time gaming of late, I'm just thinking in my case I might be better waiting a while and seeing how it pans out. Last few gens I've purchased around release date, the best time to buy IMO (get the most out of the purchase). But of course that's difficult to do this time around. I probably won't even finish Wolfenstein this side of Xmas and in that title at least, the 2080 is performing brilliantly.

Good to see you splashed out on a 3080 :D. I recall you were gonna get the 70. THink you made the best choice imo.
Yeah, was planning to, but at £649.99 it just made sense to go for it with Cyberpunk 2077 around the corner :D

Back
Top Bottom