• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Associate
Reporting for duty.

GIF-201003_135735.gif

Associate
Ok - so finally managed to get some time to install and test my Trinity OC card.

All seems well in benchmarks, roughly double the performance of my 2070Super that it replaced in general. Havent played many games with it so far, just Modern Warfare multiplayer which has seen a decent bump to average 140fps with everything maxed - was around 80-90fps before with shadows reduced. Overall im happy enough with no issues so far with crashing etc - yeah it doesnt boost past 1950mhz but I dont think it matters all that much, the fps are higher that I was getting by a big margin so Im happy.

One thing though is I have noticed when playing control I seem to be getting drops in GPU utilisation with corresponding drops in fps - mostly when I am in open areas the utilisation drops to about 75% and the fps drop to 80ish. If I go to an enclosed area or turn and face a wall I get 99% utilisation and fps increase to 120ish - this is with DLSS on. With DLSS off its always 99% usage but fps hover about 65-70fps.

Really odd how when you would think the GPU would be working more, rendering an open area with lots in it, its actually dropping yet when all it has to render is a wall it goes up to 99%???

Cant figure out what it is, unless its a CPU bottleneck? Im running a Ryzen 3900X

Associate
This is so sad, 25 people so far month after release can share picture of the card. So paper lunch :(. Hope I will get my before Christmas.

Associate
This is so sad, 25 people so far month after release can share picture of the card. So paper lunch :(. Hope I will get my before Christmas.

Would have been better off putting an order in elsewhere - OC have let a lot of people down - I got two cards from somewhere else (one I kept and the other I sold my mate) and another mate got one from a different etailer. - two orders done on the 22nd Sept too. I wont be preordering with OC for sure in future. Shame. Only in stock items now for me from OC.

Associate
Following on from my earlier thread about GPU usage drops - It seems in this instance its DLSS. Turn it off I get 99% usage and 70ish FPS - turn it on I get 75% usage and 75 FPS

Does seem that these 3080 are not 1440p cards at all - for real they need 4K to work properly - I was hoping it would get me well into my monitors Gsynch range with all bells and whistle and RT turned up etc, but it seems it wont as without DLSS it struggles and with it it refuses to run at 99% so gimping itself! Monitor is a Samsung G7 so Gsynch range is from 90. (supposed to be from 60 but it isnt)

So in order to run it in my Gsynch range I need to turn off DLSS and RT - whats the point of buying a 3080?? Or a high refresh monitor for that matter - may as well just got a 4k 60hz thing.

Hopefully it can be sorted with drivers etc otherwise I may end up selling it and getting a 3070 when they come out and see if that will run properly at 1440p high refresh.

That being said this is just one game, so could be different - still a bit disappointing though tbh - would be nice to force the card to run at full usage to provide as many fps as it can, not what it thinks it needs to do when using DLSS due to lower internal res.

Man of Honour
OP
uxhWIVb.jpg

Arrived Monday only just had time to install and give a good few hour run on RDR2. No issues what so ever so toughly happy with it.
Reporting for duty.

GIF-201003_135735.gif

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

iH1492r.jpg

Date 03/10/2020, Make NVidia FE, Katch, Link
Date 03/10/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, Samueltastic, Link
Date 01/10/2020, Make Asus TUF, Tafder, Link
Date 01/10/2020, Make Asus TUF, Sebastian Woolley, Link
Date 30/09/2020, Make NVidia FE, Dirk Diggler, Link
Date 29/09/2020, Make NVidia FE, Captain, Link
Date 29/09/2020, Make NVidia FE, LonelyDriver, Link
Date 29/09/2020, Make NVidia FE, IT Troll, Link
Date 26/09/2020, Make Asus TUF, Sparx, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, Kungfudave, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make Asus TUF, FlyingFish, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make NVidia FE, hideki, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, jabski, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, Spikey, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make MSI Ventus, XeNoNF50, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, Gripen90, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, no_1_dave, Link
Date 24/09/2020, Make MSI Ventus, Joxeon, Link
Date 22/09/2020, Make Gigabyte Gaming, WiGgLr, Link
Date 22/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, Ace Modder, Link
Date 22/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, Ace Modder, Link
Date 22/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, Shockwave, Link
Date 21/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, InkZ, Link
Date 19/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, mingey, Link
Date 19/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, hyperseven, Link
Date 18/09/2020, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, Vogon, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 3080

Associate
Further to the GPU Utilisation issues - I suspect it could possibly be CPU bottlenecking -need more testing on this front but testing on Control using DLSS and Modern Warfare/Warzone both games are showing GPU util drops - monitoring shows certain cores being maxed at 100% usage also leaning support to the CPU being the issue if the game is preferring a few cores rather than all of them

This could also be why someone else in this thread had lack of improvement with witcher3 over his 2080ti?

So it looks like I will be upgrading to Zen 3 in a few weeks time.....

Associate
Would be great to get others input on this too how they are finding it with their rigs etc - surely not everyone is playing at 4k and thus not noticing these issues?

Associate
No set target but as many as it can provide at 99% utilisation

I cant see why its reducing its utilisation when there is no frame cap set apart from the fact those cores are at 100% and its bottlenecking. I knew 1440p would be a bottleneck for it, but expected higher fps before it hits - my 2070S manged not far off what I am seeing in Warzone tbh at 99% util.

Thats if it is a CPU bottleneck or something else funky going on dropping the GPU load - im not talking mhz here - it stays at ~1900mhz but drops the load down

Soldato
No set target but as many as it can provide at 99% utilisation

It's not going to max the usage on the card with uncapped FPS, as you suspected it's being bottlenecked by the CPU.

Example: I game 1st person on a 1440p screen and the max FPS in COD is around 150 although the screen is capable of 165 and the GPU is around 85% usage on peaks.

Last edited:
Associate
Further to the GPU Utilisation issues - I suspect it could possibly be CPU bottlenecking -need more testing on this front but testing on Control using DLSS and Modern Warfare/Warzone both games are showing GPU util drops - monitoring shows certain cores being maxed at 100% usage also leaning support to the CPU being the issue if the game is preferring a few cores rather than all of them

This could also be why someone else in this thread had lack of improvement with witcher3 over his 2080ti?

So it looks like I will be upgrading to Zen 3 in a few weeks time.....

I get 99% GPU utilisation at all times on Control 1440p+DLSS but that’s with a 5.2GHz 10700k, Warzone however appears to be CPU limited dropping to 80% GPU at times in some areas of the map.

Associate
I get 99% GPU utilisation at all times on Control 1440p+DLSS but that’s with a 5.2GHz 10700k, Warzone however appears to be CPU limited dropping to 80% GPU at times in some areas of the map.

This would lend support to the theory that its CPU bottlenecking then, as your CPU with that OC on will be faster per core/better IPC than my 3900X

However since originally spotting the cores at 100% I have been running live data in the OSD and they arent hitting 100% now but still getting GPU usage drops - just cant figure it out unless its a mix bag of CPU/Power limits being hit, which they are - GPUZ showing Perfcap of voltage & power.

I aint spending money completely swapping my rig back to Intel at this point as not that long ago swapped to Ryzen from a 6600K setup. Will just buy the 5900X or whatever and see how that goes, if indeed it is CPU causing it.

Im also probably being picky, as I am experiencing performance levels way above what i was getting with my 2070S - I guess I just expected higher figures from the hype. Bit harsh that its crippled so much at 1440p if it is indeed CPU causing it as 3900X and 10700K aren't crap chips - would have expected less bottleneck/higher speeds before it happened.

What FPS you seeing generally in Control & Warzone btw?

Control tends to fluctuate between 70 - 120 depending on how much GPU utilisation going on and Warzone around the 140 mark from memory

Associate
Since theres a few people in here with Zotac cards, do they allow cooler removal? wondering if it'd be worth liquid metaling it day 1

I seem to recall Zotac dont like people removing the cooler and will void warranty

That being said I dont think its heat causing lack of boost/OC potential - these are hitting power limits waaay before heat is even an issue

Associate
Anyone with a trinity oc , would a bios flash to a palit oc or any other fix power limits the card has? Mines arriving Monday wondering if to tinker about

Associate
if its the same company were talking about did they not offer them 20% of voucher on whatever there next purchase is ? :D

The did but I tried to use it on PC bits from there site and it says invalid code :( and most stuff on their site is discounted and you can’t use the code in conjunction with any other offer

Back
Top Bottom