Road Cycling

Soldato
handbuilt 32 spoke if you can, that way if something similar happens again it's a tens-of-pounds part and an hour's work rather than binning a few hundred quids worth of otherwise perfectly good bits

Was thinking that but really compromises things going that tough. I guess I'm after a bit more of an all rounder than a heavyweight - at least that way when I get to spring I won't want to immediately change them. Handbuilt isn't cheap, my last quote for a rear alloy no-name rim built up with new spokes on an existing Zipp hub (to save on costs after I pulled a spoke) was £280! (before I then bought a complete new 30 course rear for £330).

Off the shelf/branded just gets more for the money, especially if I can get a complete wheelset for similar money. These Zipps 30 course I picked up in a pricematch for £650. I've never seen the single fronts going for less than £350, only the rears which is a bit of a joke considering the difference... Fronts should be quite a bit less than a rear! I'm basically left now with 3 rear wheels and only 1 front. 2 Zipp 30 course rears (as I had a warranty replacement), one Axis 4 rear with a duff hub (freehub won't stay on). My singular front is the original Axis 4 (needs bearings).

Current plan is a cheap 'replacement' wheelset to use until next year, meanwhile picking up a Zipp rim and doing the repair/rebuild on the front myself if bending it back doesn't work. The Axis I have can then go back to being a spare.

Soldato
Been a lovely, if slightly cool morning, with no sign of rain on the Met Office or Wunderground forecasts until gone 1900. Popped out for some groceries, had my lunch and thinking about trying to bag a 100Km ride in what might be the last dry afternoon this week and who knows what the weather will do as the month progresses...

And out of nowhere it starts tipping it down, with rain now forecast for the next ~2 hours.

FML. :(

@Roady They're ~2.1Kg and so far no reviews of this specific set, but these newish Merlin sets are a good price at £139 before reward points https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-gda-1-clincher-gravel-wheelset-700c-197275.html ... Your poor Zipp wheel!

Soldato
Been a lovely, if slightly cool morning, with no sign of rain on the Met Office or Wunderground forecasts until gone 1900. Popped out for some groceries, had my lunch and thinking about trying to bag a 100Km ride in what might be the last dry afternoon this week and who knows what the weather will do as the month progresses...

And out of nowhere it starts tipping it down, with rain now forecast for the next ~2 hours.

FML. :(

@Roady They're ~2.1Kg and so far no reviews of this specific set, but these newish Merlin sets are a good price at £139 before reward points https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-gda-1-clincher-gravel-wheelset-700c-197275.html ... Your poor Zipp wheel!

Typical UK weather isn't it! Glorious here today, but guaranteed to rain all weekend. I'm still kinda doing a recovery week as trying to shake this lurgy off. Need to do some low intensity sessions of some kind on Zwift this week I think.

I know, my poor Zipp! :( At least it wasn't a carbon rim and smashed to oblivion. :o

Good find with those Merlins. Just need them wider if I can (they're 19mm internal) and tubeless ready... The Primes all seem to be out of stock or not 142mm hub compatible. The Fulcrums seem to be 19mm ID. But maybe that's just what I'll find looking this end of the price range and will have to settle on 19mm ID as they'll always generally be old/traditional rim and styles.

Soldato
Shimano 105 disc wheels on Merlin for £175ish should be fairly solid.

Found my shoes starting to fall apart, heels going with the material separating. Had 5 years wear so not bad going!

Last edited:
Soldato
Good shouts both, although the 105 RS170 are 17mm internal and not tubeless. The Shimano 105 RS370 are tubeless, 24.5mm external so probably 19mm ID. Cup & cone bearings. Fulcrum Racing 7 are 19mm ID with sealed cartridge bearings and a touch lighter. Although I've not pulled the trigger yet, as there's some kinda '2 way fit' system for their tubeless which is only compatible with Schwalbe TL-easy tyres. :rolleyes:

Those are the only ones I've really found in stock for £200 or less. Once I'm looking at wheelsets towards £300 then I may as well pick up another 30 Course single front wheel... As I have 2 rears! :rolleyes: ;) :D

Soldato
Fulcrum Racing 7 are 19mm ID with sealed cartridge bearings and a touch lighter. Although I've not pulled the trigger yet, as there's some kinda '2 way fit' system for their tubeless which is only compatible with Schwalbe TL-easy tyres. :rolleyes:
Trigger pulled. £180 from Wiggle. '2 way fit' is just a stupid Schwalbe marketing thing, plenty of people on forums using them with a wide array of TL tyres no issue. :rolleyes:

Wiggle have become my favourites... Again. :lol:

An order a courier 'lost' or they couldn't trace, they happily sent through again and apologised for the inconvenience. That arrived and the next day the previous package arrived (16 days overdue!). Contacted them and they said 'do a return or keep it'. Did a return for some knee warmers from another order, raised a ticket to return the other order too and got given free postage. Got a refund for the whole order they'd duplicated... Contacted and told them that was wrong, reversed the refund. Thought it was all sorted and then just had the returned items (minus the knee warmers) returned to me. Contacted again and expecting they'll say just said to keep the items. Shame I hadn't ordered some wheels... But if anyone needs a R785 Di2 rear shifter let me know, everything else was just all maintenance bits I'll happily reuse/keep! :)

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for insoles? I want to get some good ones as find my feet struggle on my shimano rc7s after 4+ hours in the saddle (mainly a specific couple of toes) had a bike fit so know its nothing like a with that.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for insoles? I want to get some good ones as find my feet struggle on my shimano rc7s after 4+ hours in the saddle (mainly a specific couple of toes) had a bike fit so know its nothing like a with that.

Specialized blue, but can't beat custom fit. Arch support may feel a fraction odd at first but it's ideal long term. Sure there's enough room in top section? Cleat too far forwards? Tightness of dials etc can make a huge difference over longer rides.

Soldato
I'm using the Specialized BodyGeometry Blue ones also, think the Blue is a medium. There's red and green ones too. Got them recommended originally from a Bike fit in 2015 and used them since. Found a big difference to comfort and 'feel' almost immediately with them. Was told my sloppy pedalling was from a bad foot position from collapsing arches. Was also the cause of various pains and occasional numb toes on longer rides. Usually find them for around £20 (or just over). I've several pairs floating around the various shoes, for the price well worth trying. I've not had (or very little) foot pain/numbness since. Only times now are usually when I have my shoes done up too tight! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Specialized blue, but can't beat custom fit. Arch support may feel a fraction odd at first but it's ideal long term. Sure there's enough room in top section? Cleat too far forwards? Tightness of dials etc can make a huge difference over longer rides.

Plenty of room, cleats as far back as they go. I'll have to take a look, I do have freakishly long toes (longer than my other half's fingers...) May have just been the ride today 4.5 hours and 8500ft of climbing and I ran out of water with 12miles or so to go but I definitely need something that isn't the standard insole as they have noncomfort/support.

Soldato
Nah just make EVERY thread in here a Gravel bike thread, as they can do EVERYTHING.

Plus it'd really annoy the purists like @xdcx (love ya buddy, great ride last night). Win:win :D

:D :D

True. But I ride it mostly on roads haha.

You GRVL dudes are like all these people who buy Land Rovers with offroad tyres.... and take the kids to school in it 100% on tarmac and the thing never gets dirty :p But you NEED it... just incase! :p

Soldato
:D :D

You GRVL dudes are like all these people who buy Land Rovers with offroad tyres.... and take the kids to school in it 100% on tarmac and the thing never gets dirty :p But you NEED it... just incase! :p

Funny you say that, wait till you see what I did to the thing :D:o
... Would have been a bit daft on my road bike though.
UyHFWJC.jpg
7eMiLlO.jpg
qY5rova.jpg

ojXeABS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom