Worst place you have ever lived?

Man of Honour
Orlando. Horrible apartment in a horrible block, crawling with cockroaches. It was condemmed and knocked down and a new one build shortly after I left.

Soldato
Hatfield, Hertfordshire - 2 drug dealers, one five doors down one side and another 6 doors down the other side, all out in the open, police informed and couldn't care less as there is no chance of property seizure, when it's sunny the whole place stinks of weed and conversations go on till 3-4am, I love the rain so much.

Soldato
Not so much the area but the exact location, First place I moved to when I left home at 21 was a fairly busy road in Belfast (Stranmillis Rd), parking was tough at times and there was some noise in the early hours from punters heading home from the pubs but the icing on the cake was the fact it was a huge apartment above...a fish restaurant. The smell most nights and mornings was awful, the owner left rubbish bags just outside the front door most days and it was just hateful. The girls I moved in with fortunately decided to move on and we all rented a place far far away from it for a few happy years afterwards....

Soldato
My 3 months in a 2 bunk cabin next to the engine room on a seismic survey ship where the floor of the shared (by 4) bathroom was covered in damp jazz mags sounds like luxury to some of the dumps you’ve lived in.

Associate
Lived in a block of flats in Gateshead once, needed somewhere sharpish and that's all that was available.

Terrible place, blood in the corridors from people punching safety glass, people "falling" out of the window of the floor above (despite hearing "get off her, you're going to kill her" the night before, but arguments were commonplace between them).

Associate
Where I live now, lol. We had a giant ROMA gypsy family move into two houses opposite us. We counted 27 of them standing out front drinking, selling drugs, whoring. They were scum, utter scum. Little kids running round nakid with knifes scratching cars, gypsy music so loud I could hear it with ear plugs in, in the back bedroom - on the right side there were 2 really young prostitutes who used to bring other gypsies in. They used to chuck all their furniture out into the road, have parties all the time day and night. I called the police 27 times in 4 months!! They wouldn't do ****. It got to the point where I was willing to go to jail if something was not done. They finally moved out after not paying any of the bills. They moved a few roads down and started it all again. Pure scum.

I've lived in Stafford for over 20 years now. It has 1 or 2 rough parts, but it's an ok town otherwise.

My experience of roughness in Stafford was more to do with a 5-bedroom house-share where I rented a room for 3 years. It was something like £210/month including bills except for internet and phone, so a cheap pad to rent while I saved up for a house deposit. Some of the housemates though were neighbours from hell.

One guy was a weed-head and a bit of a loud-mouthed bully. In my 3 years there, 3 tenants moved out because of his domineering behaviour. I got shouted at by him a few times, but I learned just to lay low during my tenancy otherwise it was stepping on eggshells. He also had numerous girlfriends, one after another. None of them lasted long and he actually hit one of them (DV incident). After 3 years, I have saved enough money for a house deposit and I bought my own house. A few days before I moved out of the house-share, the bully housemate was arrested for stabbing another housemate because his car got keyed by the stabbed housemate. While the police was here, I had to gave a police statement because I witnessed the attack.

Also in my 3 years there, another housemate did hard drugs (injecting), never paid his rent and he would regularly raid our allocated kitchen cupboards for food and pinching our milk from the fridge. One night at 3AM, our house got raided by the police! 5 police officers searching our 5 bedrooms. They found the drugs, and after that, I went back to sleep and the druggy housemate was never to be seen again.

Then a few weeks later, a new tenant moved in as he has lost his house due to divorce proceedings and he was left with nothing. One day after I got back from work, I found blood up along the stair bannister and all over the bathroom tiles. Turns out he took a painkiller overdose and slashed his wrists. An ambulance carted him away, and he was another tenant who I never saw again, although apparently he survived ok and moved on.

We also had an alcoholic but he just drank in his bedroom to oblivion every night and he wasn't a nuisance to any of the others.

So yeah, not nice memories, but it paid off in the long run as I had the money for a house (20% deposit) and I only have 10 years left on my mortgage which is currently frozen to £270/month until 2026!

Soldato
Very difficult toss up for me. I temporarily lost my mind in 2006 and got a flat in Tilbury, Essex as I was doing a year long project on the Tilbury docks and got tired of driving in from London every day. I lasted about 3 weeks before packing up and driving back to London to sleep on my brother's living room floor. There was only so much of the yelling, stabbings, vomit, public drunkenness and generally prison behavior I could tolerate.

Prior to that I did a stint in New Road, Littlehampton around 2000. In fact, I remember moving out the day that lady won the first million on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. Whatever her name was. At the time the Eastern Europeans were starting to move in and the town center felt like Belgrade on a Saturday night. There was the pub called The Spotted Cow which was a notorious bloodblank I only went into once. Bloke randomly took a swing at someone and the whole place kicked off. I was dating (or on a first date) this Welsh CCTV operator at the time and she flew up from where we were sitting and joined in the fray as if it was completely normal and expected for a 5'3 girl to attack middle aged drunken men she's never met with an ashtray . I jumped up to grab her to get her out safely and she turned around and took a swing at me! I just got out of there sharpish.

I lived in a tiny flat and the houses either side of me were prostitute dens. It was so, uhm, bad that I didn't bat an eye lid when I walked outside one night to find a shifty looking guy with his foot stuck through the door letterbox and the lady on the otherside .... servicing his toes. I'm just thankful I never ask him HOW she was doing it. On another occasion I was randomly asked by a young girl if I could make her pregnant so she could get a council house. If she was more than 14 years old I would've been stunned. Got tired of all the filth and moved to Worthing which ended up being only marginally better.

Last edited:
Soldato
After I left the ex I ended up in a mens hostel, it was a complete culture shock to me. The place was full of alcoholics, drug addicts, a rent boy and a couple of guys with some quite worrying mental health difficulties. I always slept with one eye open. The place was also riddled with fleas, bed bugs and rats. But my favourite thing was the guy who used to **** in his hands and throw it at the walls.

Soldato
Just "wow", reading some of these! They sound truly horrific!

I have lived in some slightly questionable shared houses, but mostly pleasant experiences in okay enough areas.

Associate
Where I live now is ok but the next door neighbours on one side are grim, I have said hello to them on several occasions only to be greeted by a weird smile by the woman. They have started leaving rubbish in their back yard now. ******* scruffs.

Soldato
North Thailand for a month staying with my brothers Thai wife in her village. Her HIV positive sister constantly threatening us when she was drunk and spitting at us frequently.

Associate
I manage several HMO's along New Road :D :D

Very difficult toss up for me. I temporarily lost my mind in 2006 and got a flat in Tilbury, Essex as I was doing a year long project on the Tilbury docks and got tired of driving in from London every day. I lasted about 3 weeks before packing up and driving back to London to sleep on my brother's living room floor. There was only so much of the yelling, stabbings, vomit, public drunkenness and generally prison behavior I could tolerate.

Prior to that I did a stint in New Road, Littlehampton around 2000. In fact, I remember moving out the day that lady won the first million on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. Whatever her name was. At the time the Eastern Europeans were starting to move in and the town center felt like Belgrade on a Saturday night. There was the pub called The Spotted Cow which was a notorious bloodblank I only went into once. Bloke randomly took a swing at someone and the whole place kicked off. I was dating (or on a first date) this Welsh CCTV operator at the time and she flew up from where we were sitting and joined in the fray as if it was completely normal and expected for a 5'3 girl to attack middle aged drunken men she's never met with an ashtray . I jumped up to grab her to get her out safely and she turned around and took a swing at me! I just got out of there sharpish.

I lived in a tiny flat and the houses either side of me were prostitute dens. It was so, uhm, bad that I didn't bat an eye lid when I walked outside one night to find a shifty looking guy with his foot stuck through the door letterbox and the lady on the otherside .... servicing his toes. I'm just thankful I never ask him HOW she was doing it. On another occasion I was randomly asked by a young girl if I could make her pregnant so she could get a council house. If she was more than 14 years old I would've been stunned. Got tired of all the filth and moved to Worthing which ended up being only marginally better.

Back
Top Bottom