• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I'm more interested in pixel density. Desktop monitors at 4k are already at the point of diminishing returns for me and I have no interest in having a 42 - 55 inch screen on my desk. (And the better tech tends to not even be in 42 inch TVs) , 8k is ludicrous!

Associate
But I doubt 8k is going to be feasible anytime in the next 5 years lol

At distances where a TV might be viewed from, 4K vs 1080p already makes very little practical difference (and yeah I'm no doubt going to be told by people disagreeing how much sharper it is, etc ...).

8K, at normal viewing distances, you just can't see the pixels. Got a 43" 4K on the desks here, but that's only about a meter away so then you can definitely see the difference. The 54" 4K TV downstairs that's some 3 metres away ... nope, can't readily tell over 1080p.

The only real point to 8K is that resolution is going up, so more practical resolutions like 1440p and 4K are becoming more mainstream and cheaper.

Permabanned
I disagree: how many 1440p TVs are there? The number is going to be negigible. But 4K TVs are very popular.

These 4k TVs just like monitors will support lower resolutions.

Right, so people are going to jump from their 1080p monitors to 4k TV's?

I actually think 3440x1440p will be the next jump :p

That aspect ratio is very nice. We need to see TVs heading in that direction.

Soldato
I have put a couple of games on 200% resolution at 4k (er, thats not 8k is it?)... anyhow frame rates were shocking and 8gb vram way short on MFS2020 ... 10gb, mmm, lets not go there eh?

Caporegime
So, both the 3060 and 3070 will have 8GB RAM, as expected. The flagship 3080 has only 20% more VRAM. I'm glad I didn't buy a launch card as I know I would have regretted it by next year.

Caporegime
Where?

It comes down to price though doest it. Are you prepared to pay £850 - £1000 for a 20GB 3080?
It’s only leaks so far but Galaxy’s roadmap shows them as does leaks from Gigabyte. Not confirmed I know, but it’s definitely coming.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ked-roadmap-shows-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060/

And no, I’m not prepared to pay that. I’m in the camp that firmly believes 10GB is plenty. I’m sure most people go by the VRAM allocated rather than the VRAM actually used.

Soldato
There's no room on the back of the founder's 3080 PCB for 5 more 1gb modules, so they need a different PCB (3090 PCB maybe?) or they need to wait for the 2gb modules to go into mass production.

The cost of the 20gb models will be more than just the cost of more ram.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
At around 6:09 he starts talking about the GPU in the PS5 and he says it is compatible to a 2060 Super.

You still hung up on the 10gb not being enough stuff open? Plan on canceling the Pre-order on your 10gb and waiting for 20gb? Gives you time to save up a couple of hundred quid more for that extra 10gb variant and join a new que I suppose :p

Remember, the 3090 with it's measly 24gb is out and not one review has shown 10gb not being enough as predicted :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom