** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
My flicker is still there. It looks like it’s what’s been described elsewhere and is caused by the gsync doubling the us of the screen at some points which in turn causes the screen to slightly get more bright. So - can this be fixed with firmware or drivers? I don’t remember my last one having this issue to be honest - it’s subtle but quite irritating once you notice it. It only seems to happen when the fps is a long way off the monitor native hz . Thoughts everyone?

edit: have noticed that iracing now seems fine, but assetto cc flickers a lot and if you put the info screen on the monitor you can see the refresh rate of the monitor going up and down. Not so with iracing even though it’s FPS is wildly fluctuating too. I’m betting this is a driver/ firmware issue.

Last edited:
Associate
My flicker is still there. It looks like it’s what’s been described elsewhere and is caused by the gsync doubling the us of the screen at some points which in turn causes the screen to slightly get more bright. So - can this be fixed with firmware or drivers? I don’t remember my last one having this issue to be honest - it’s subtle but quite irritating once you notice it. It only seems to happen when the fps is a long way off the monitor native hz . Thoughts everyone?

edit: have noticed that iracing now seems fine, but assetto cc flickers a lot and if you put the info screen on the monitor you can see the refresh rate of the monitor going up and down. Not so with iracing even though it’s FPS is wildly fluctuating too. I’m betting this is a driver/ firmware issue.
i had no flicker at all until the last 2 geforce graphics drivers so i dialled back to a graphics driver before that and the flicker has now gone im using 452.06 with firmware 1006.2 on the g9

Associate
i had no flicker at all until the last 2 geforce graphics drivers so i dialled back to a graphics driver before that and the flicker has now gone im using 452.06 with firmware 1006.2 on the g9

Well that makes me feel better. Just gotta wait for a fixed nvidia driver then? Its wierd, if im on desktop and i open "simhub" i start to get flicker on the desktop - i dont get it with just chrome on the desktop. Most apps have been fine... just now and again it goes flickery. R

Last edited:
Associate
What's the point of the large '240hz!' in a circle at the top of the OSD? I had assumed it was a live report of the current GSync refresh rate, but on clunkily navigating to the 'Information' menu item (that also shows firmware version) it shows the actual rate which is different and matches the Windows config.

Does the big circle just show the max rate you have selected in the menu? That's completely pointless.

That information menu item is clunky to get to and obtrusive, is there some Windows tool that will overlay GSync refresh rate in the corner? I have Fraps showing fps but I also want to confirm what the OS/GSync are doing. I found an overlay option in the NVidia control panel but it just says 'GSync' on the left.

Associate
What's the point of the large '240hz!' in a circle at the top of the OSD? I had assumed it was a live report of the current GSync refresh rate, but on clunkily navigating to the 'Information' menu item (that also shows firmware version) it shows the actual rate which is different and matches the Windows config.

Does the big circle just show the max rate you have selected in the menu? That's completely pointless.

That information menu item is clunky to get to and obtrusive, is there some Windows tool that will overlay GSync refresh rate in the corner? I have Fraps showing fps but I also want to confirm what the OS/GSync are doing. I found an overlay option in the NVidia control panel but it just says 'GSync' on the left.

Yes indeed that circle is just showing you what you have set the panels refresh at

I dont know of a tool that does what you suggest, but would be useful if such a thing exists

Associate
I have a LC32G75TQSUXEN coming, I can't be asked to read through the thread, what am I looking out for. Do i need to get a display port cable, I currently use a HDMI with my 27

Associate
I've been unable to find a tool that overlays the monitor's refresh rate so I've been experimenting using the 'Information' OSD which shows the current refresh rate live, and can be set to stay on screen for 200 seconds.

With VRRTest you can manually change the FPS with the arrow keys, it shows an animation to check smoothness. With G-Sync and V-Sync enabled in the nvidia control panel (HDR off for now) the refresh rate tracks the FPS OK above 60 but not below. e.g. at 45 FPS the refresh rate jumps about all over the place and the animation looks jittery. From the guide below I was expecting it to be stable, at a multiple of 45.

https://github.com/Nixola/VRRTest

Why enable V-Sync:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Associate
I see the rainforest has the G95 in stock for delivery Wednesday, anyone ordered from there and know which month the units are built? I'm tempted to go with them as with the problems reported here I'd prefer to have a very easy return process...

Associate
Not in immediate stock on rainforest despite what you might see (my order sitting with them for weeks now), if you are in a hurry I would suggest OCUK. Edit: It would appear some people are getting them, not sure why my order is stuck in limbo.

Last edited:
Associate
I see the rainforest has the G95 in stock for delivery Wednesday, anyone ordered from there and know which month the units are built? I'm tempted to go with them as with the problems reported here I'd prefer to have a very easy return process...

The one I received from them last week was an N5 ie May build! It had the bezel light bleed issue. My recommendation is to purchase from OC or Samsung direct as their returns process is better than the one I’m experiencing from The rainforest at the moment - it’s a large box and Amazon don’t use the best couriers for this type of equipment. Samsung use DPD and it was very pain free to return and get one delivered.

Associate
I still have one that's supposedly on the way from the rainforest. It's with Hermes...oops.

It was supposedly posted last Sunday, not arrived but when you track on Hermes they say "waiting for the shipper to send". It's not a good experience. It needs to go back if it ever arrives as I don't need two ;)

Associate
I wanted to leave this a couple of days before reporting back - Firstly, apologies i got it wrong, i did indeed get only 20% discount direct from Samsung but i'm not complaining!

I went from 2 x U28H750 60fps 1ms 28" 4k Samsung screens side by side but when gaming i really wanted higher FPS and my GOD the 240Hz in unreal for someone who has never used something over 60Hz. I run an RX5700 GPU, 3900XT CPU and 32GB RAM and definitely need a 3080 when they're easily accessible eventually.

Ordered Friday evening, arrived at 10:04 Saturday morning for a whole £3.99 delivery fee, chuffed with that. Out of the box, it's an N8 - no issues whatsoever, box did look like it may have been taped up twice but nothing inside looked touched. No light bleed, screen tearing, discolouration on the bottom, no rice krispie noises, nothing at all - it's just what i expected and i'm in love!

Warzone looks mega on it fwiw! My workflow is so much better too, i have my PC on the right side of the screen on PIP mode and my work laptop on the left side - so much nicer than having two separate screens but i have yet to work out how to have the screen remember the source settings for PIP so every time i want to revert back to just my PC then bring PIP back on i need to change the source for each side again which i can live with although a tad annoying

Associate
Mine arrived a couple of hours ago direct from Samsung. Had a slight issue with the screws for the stand not aligning very well with the back of the screen but got there in the end.

Looked huge but somehow seems to shrink once you start using it. Everything looks amazing and I thought I'd hit the jackpot, but then I noticed 1 dead pixel near the middle of the screen... Gutted :(
Not sure on the support policy but I'm assuming it will never come back to life so guess I'll have to send it back and get a replacement.

It's an N8 on the 1005.4 firmware btw, so apart from my dead pixel it does look like new stock is floating around.

Soldato
I am getting the odd rice crispy popping noise from the back warming up. So the new models still suffer from this.

Its nothing distracting however just wanted to let you know its still there if you were looking for this issue on the new models.

Its not something I am concerned with at this time.

Associate
The one I received from them last week was an N5 ie May build! It had the bezel light bleed issue. My recommendation is to purchase from OC or Samsung direct as their returns process is better than the one I’m experiencing from The rainforest at the moment - it’s a large box and Amazon don’t use the best couriers for this type of equipment. Samsung use DPD and it was very pain free to return and get one delivered.

OK, thanks!

Samsung seem to be sold out every time I've looked at their site. Wish I could get 20% discount like SemajD :D

Back
Top Bottom