Spec me: <£10k, all rounder, not too boring, nice interior

Soldato
Brevity not my strong-point so tl;dr

30-something. I've been driving a 2011 (8th gen) Civic ES-T 1.8 CVT for a few years. As reliable as it is, I would like to upgrade as I don't find the seats terribly comfortable, particularly for long journeys which almost always give me backache, it can feel like a bit of a bus and it's starting to feel a bit dated. It seems to have held it's value fairly well (I got it for a steal as well - current equivalent examples from dealers on Autotrader are more than what I paid for it in 2018 :eek:), so looking to sell and then have a bit of money to add to the replacement. The 9th gen Civic is a dud and I can't afford a good spec 10th gen, so they're out of the picture.

Usage = short journeys to the gym/town (typical suburbia stuff), 30 mile round commute on mostly A-roads 3-4 times a week, a mix of stop-starting in queues and/or being able to put my foot down for most of it, motorway drives of 30-90 mins once or twice a month.

Checklist:
  • <£10k but I could stretch to maybe £11-12k if it makes a huge difference. Preferably private sale.
  • Petrol, given my mileage and also auto given usage.
  • Not too dull to drive, i.e. somewhat engaging handling/feel (but doesn't have to be 'f*n'/qualify as sporty), a bit more oomph than the Honda would be nice on the motorway
  • Comfy for long journeys and also - to quote motors - a nice play to be. I do like a decent interior and decent stock sound system would be nice
  • Vaguely practical: I occasionally need more than 1 passenger seat (all adults) and also need back seats that can go reasonably flat to lay my ski bag in for the airport/indoor trips (i.e. hatch, 2+2 coupe or compact saloon welcome, no barges!).
  • Nothing thirsty or expensive to run
  • Preferably newer than my Civic, so 2012+, must have the usual gubbins
  • Reliable / not a money pit
  • Bonuses - doesn't look like a box on the outside, CarPlay compatible without too much faff (would like GMaps/Waze on the screen rather than mounting my phone)

As far as entirely sensible choices go I've been looking at stuff like this... bearing in mind I'm not that clued up on how reliable they are:

1. Golf Mk7, 1.4/1.5 - GT/GT Edition so not top spec but almost (can get leather seats etc), 7th Gen built post May 2015 can be updated to run CarPlay apparently. Some examples with the better alloys make it look nicer I guess

2. Hyundai Ioniq HEV 1.6 - 1st gen 2017 onward car (hooray depreciation), top spec Premium SE Trim, some examples on AT from dealers with reasonable miles creeping under £11k so a decent private find might be in budget. Super sensible, stupid economy as hybrid, has CarPlay, loads of tech... probably feels like a Prius/taxi to drive? Exterior is an eyesore

3. Mazda 3, 2.0 - 3rd gen (2014 onward) Sports Nav top trim either in hatch or fastback/saloon, lots of tech, models from about 2014 with the nav display can be upgraded to CarPlay, Bose speakers. Sounds like it's decent to drive, somewhat less boxy than rivals to look at

Less sensible choice:
4. Scirocco 2.0 GT - I love how these look and you don't see many on the road here... however I can't get around the fact there's a lot of Mk5 Golf underneath, making it a bit of a dinosaur compared to the other things on the list, no CarPlay, examples with the Dynaudio speaker pack not that common

Other stuff:
BMW/Merc/Audi - too many models/worried about being a money sink - don't know enough in general, but open to ideas though.

Some wild stuff comes up on AT with my filters like Jags, Lexus IS300hs but as said, no money sinks or expensive to service/insure which I imagine they are and then some. Obviously there's other sensible things like the Leon or Focus as well but the interiors put me off.

What say ye? Obviously market is a bit weird at the mo, so prepared to wait for a bit. :)

Soldato
3. Mazda 3, 2.0 - 3rd gen (2014 onward) Sports Nav top trim either in hatch or fastback/saloon, lots of tech, models from about 2014 with the nav display can be upgraded to CarPlay, Bose speakers. Sounds like it's decent to drive, somewhat less boxy than rivals to look at

We recently purchased a ‘17 plate Mazda 3 Sport Nav with the 165BHP 2.0 engine, we had the Carplay / Android Auto option added too. Just bare in mind the touch screen doesn’t work with Android Auto at all, and only works with CarPlay when stationary. It’s not a issue, the dials are ok to use with both interfaces. I’d definitely recommend it, it’s very nice to drive and feels ‘sporty’ enough whilst also being refined and comfortable. I’d opt for the 165BHP tuned engine over the 121BHP version. As you said it’s got tones of kit;
- HID cornering headlights
- Heated steering wheel / seats
- Bose sound system
- Heads up display (Directions from Carplay / Android auto don’t show on this, only built in Nav)
- Keyless entry / start
- Electric adjustable driver seat

We average about 40MPG in it. The seats are narrower than the Civics, but they’re much more comfortable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes it started coming with CarPlay as standard in the last couple of years but Mazda are the only, or one of the only manufactures whose dealers will retrofit older vehicles - with 2014 models being the earliest, which would be preferable to having to spend more on a newer vehicle for the pleasure.

I can't see any 165BHP's on AT in my budget, but I see it doesn't much cost to remap the engine; that may address one of the two strikes against the car I had; that it feels a bit under-powered (the other is the 18" wheels and UK roads) in the same way my Civic does in certain situations.

EDIT - couldn't see any 165bhps and found it's because it's only available on the manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still have no idea, although I suppose the Mazda 3 is least boring and cheapest of the practical choices. Also seen:

Merc 1.6 C180 AMG Sport - coupe looks nice, 2013-15 models without huge mileage... is this a bottom of the barrel model?

BMW - either older (2013-2014) 4 series or slightly newer 2 series although both stretching the budget a bit I imagine and there's a variety of engines and trims.

Soldato
You can just about scrape into an earlier Mk3 (2013 onwards) Skoda Octavia VRS petrol for that kind of money. Basically a Golf GTi mk7 in different clothing. Plenty of kit and would certainly be a big step up over the Honda in terms of performance. Still reasonably economical when it wants to be and practical with a ski hatch! The only issue is the very early models don't get Carplay, you'd need a mid 2015 onward one with the MIB2 Infotainment system. Having said that I'd still get a VRS without Carplay over most of the other stuff that you've been mentioning so far, I'd much rather have a bit more poke under my right foot and put up with BT audio than drive around in something as sluggish as a Merc 1.6 AMG Sport, which is all show and literally no go. Each to their own though :)

Soldato
Seat Leon? The interior can’t be much worse than a Golf? You could get a 1.8 or even squeeze into a Cupra/2.0.

Volvo V40? It’ll have the best seats out of all the cars mentioned but it’ll probably be the slowest.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You can just about scrape into an earlier Mk3 (2013 onwards) Skoda Octavia VRS petrol for that kind of money. Basically a Golf GTi mk7 in different clothing. Plenty of kit and would certainly be a big step up over the Honda in terms of performance. Still reasonably economical when it wants to be and practical with a ski hatch! The only issue is the very early models don't get Carplay, you'd need a mid 2015 onward one with the MIB2 Infotainment system. Having said that I'd still get a VRS without Carplay over most of the other stuff that you've been mentioning so far, I'd much rather have a bit more poke under my right foot and put up with BT audio than drive around in something as sluggish as a Merc 1.6 AMG Sport, which is all show and literally no go. Each to their own though :)

VRS start at about £13.5K on AT for a 2013 model at the mo, too much of a stretch! I can live a phone mount if I have to so CarPlay isn’t essential just because I know it’s unrealistic for anything from about pre <2017 to have it unless there’s easy retrofitting available.

Seat Leon? The interior can’t be much worse than a Golf? You could get a 1.8 or even squeeze into a Cupra/2.0.

Volvo V40? It’ll have the best seats out of all the cars mentioned but it’ll probably be the slowest.

I don’t mind the Leon, I just read despite being a Golf in disguise it scores lower on the reliability front. It’s a bit more aggressive in looks than the VW at least. Haven’t looked at any Volvo’s yet!

Associate
I can't see any 165BHP's on AT in my budget, but I see it doesn't much cost to remap the engine; that may address one of the two strikes against the car I had; that it feels a bit under-powered (the other is the 18" wheels and UK roads) in the same way my Civic does in certain situations.

Not sure but i think that engine is the one in the ND(1) MX5, if so then a remap will net you circa 180bhp and a bit more if you can deal with a louder exhaust.
The skyactive engine really surprised me, its got sodding torque everywhere - and no turbo in sight.

Soldato
Were about to replace our MK1 focus with a 2018 Mazda 3, looking at the 2lt petrol, Sport Nav. Seems a great car for the money.

Associate
An Ioniq would probably be the sensible buy then, good warranty too. Very efficient due to its shape as much as its hybrid drivetrain.

Soldato
OP
Lexus IS250 with plenty of money to spare?

Rear seats don’t fold (requirement for ski stuff) and the <2013 petrol ones are pretty thirsty. I also assume having only driven for a few years the insurance on a 2.5l car will be sky high too, although being ‘older’ my insurance in general has been cheaper than the equivalent teenager. If the CT200h wasn’t disparaged so much as being gutless and having a harsh ride I would have put them in the running.

Soldato
OP
Volvo S60 R Design?

Nice looking one here

Need petrol - don't seem to be any of those <13k on AT. The V40 was mentioned earlier and it does look like a sensible choice... there's an enormous amount of trims and different engines combos available as far as size + T2/T3/T4/T5 designation - confusing. I'd try one out as an alternative to the regular VAG stuff... good trims definitely over the budget though and I'm trying not to be one of those posters who ends up blowing thousands more than they said they would!

I've been very impressed with my Seat Leon FR over the last couple of years, good solid car that's been decent to drive and hardly costs anything to run.

Yes I think for my budget having looked around it seems if I want an MQB platform car the Leon seems the most realistic as far as being newer whilst still top-ish spec compared to the Golf. As far as petrol engines go the Bluemotion/Eco blah blah 1.4s seem hard to beat, and even the 1.8/2.0's aren't that thirsty.

Back
Top Bottom