• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thinking about finally jumping ship with the 5000 series coming out. Looking to get a 5900X with a Gigabytex570 Aorus Ultra motherboard.

One thing that’s on my mind, will the motherboard come with a compatible bios installed for the 5000 series as if not how will you be able to get it going.

Or is it likely there will be a refresh of motherboards for compatibility with the 5000 series (which would make sense) for people jumping over to AMD?
There is no guarentee that B550 and X570 will come zen 3 ready just like there was with zen 2 on 400 series boards. I would go with a motherboard that has a bios flashback feature as this negates the need to apply to AMD for a loan CPU for bios updating.

Soldato
Thinking about finally jumping ship with the 5000 series coming out. Looking to get a 5900X with a Gigabytex570 Aorus Ultra motherboard.

One thing that’s on my mind, will the motherboard come with a compatible bios installed for the 5000 series as if not how will you be able to get it going.

Or is it likely there will be a refresh of motherboards for compatibility with the 5000 series (which would make sense) for people jumping over to AMD?

Also interested in the same board and searched it has feature called Q-Flash Plus which lets you flash bios without needing CPU

Q-Flash Plus allows you to flash a working BIOs even your computer won't boot. It doesn’t even need a CPU or RAM to be installed!

Step 1: Prepare the USB drive
Download the latest BIOS version for your motherboard from the motherboard product page. Extract the downloaded BIOS file to the root of your flash drive. We need to rename the BIOS file so that Q-Flash Plus can find it. Rename the BIOS file to GIGABYTE.bin.

Step 2: Plug the USB drive into your computer
Now you need to plug the USB drive into the USB port that supports Q-Flash Plus. You will be able to find this in the manual of your motherboard.

Step 3: Flash the BIOS using Q-Flash Plus
Ensure that your power supply is connected to your motherboard and try and boot your computer. After about 20 seconds, Q-Flash Plus will notice that the computer is not booting correctly and will start the BIOS flashing process automatically.

You will see that the BIOS LED will start flashing on your motherboard which indicates that the BIOS flash is currently in progress. After a few minutes, the LED shall stop flashing which means that the BIOS flash has been completed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also interested in the same board and searched it has feature called Q-Flash Plus which lets you flash bios without needing CPU

Q-Flash Plus allows you to flash a working BIOs even your computer won't boot. It doesn’t even need a CPU or RAM to be installed!

Download the latest BIOS version for your motherboard from the motherboard product page. Extract the downloaded BIOS file to the root of your flash drive. We need to rename the BIOS file so that Q-Flash Plus can find it. Rename the BIOS file to GIGABYTE.bin.

Now you need to plug the USB drive into the USB port that supports Q-Flash Plus. You will be able to find this in the manual of your motherboard.

Ensure that your power supply is connected to your motherboard and try and boot your computer. After about 20 seconds, Q-Flash Plus will notice that the computer is not booting correctly and will start the BIOS flashing process automatically.

You will see that the BIOS LED will start flashing on your motherboard which indicates that the BIOS flash is currently in progress. After a few minutes, the LED shall stop flashing which means that the BIOS flash has been completed.

Well that’s pretty cool then.

Just need to prepare a usb drive before stripping out my old system.

Soldato
5800x is it? The 8 core fastest clock speed.

Anyway, percentage wise, how much of an improvement is that going to be over my Sandbridge i7-2600k?

My old [email protected] all core (aka about as overclocked as this chip goes) is outpaced in CPU-Z bench in both single and multithreaded by a 3600. Not by much on single core, but it is, and that's ignoring the newer feature sets, and other advancements, and the MUCH higher power draw of the 2700K.

Now given how much better the 5*** series are looking, PLUS more cores, yes you really are looking at a substantial all around upgrade.

Last edited:

Super glad about this, as I am building my first PC with Zen 3. Let's hope it goes swimmingly... Im sure I will find a way to **** it up.

Caporegime
Associate
I hope BIOS flashback isn't as fiddly as it was with some B450 boards, at least for MSI. Lots of users had issues, they seemed very sensitive to the type of memory stick used. I just couldn't get it to work with a Pro Carbon when building a system for my wife's friend's son so had to send it back, got a Tomahawk instead which worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom