• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The 10900K IS a good CPU, Intel still make good parts; the issue with them is cost (and to a lesser degree, security and the performance hits patching it), on what is now a node stretched about as far as it can go.

Intel have some excellent engineers, it just gets lost under all the 'corporation' and marketing at times, and some of the bad faith moves those departments get involved in (which are nothing to do with engineering).

Waiting for Zen 3 however sounds by far the smartest choice right now, it's sounding like they will be monsters, and the Zen 3000 series were already causing Intel to sweat.

Soldato
Need a new CPU/motherboard to go with my Strix 3090 OC, when it eventually shows up (158 in queue). It will either be Zen3, or Rocketlake, whichever is fastest in singlethread/gaming. Rooting for Zen, hopefully there'll be no UEFI issues with RAM/booting/nvme drives etc.

X670 boards will be the best for Zen3 if I recall? Hopefully these come without a chipset fan.

Soldato
X670 boards will be the best for Zen3 if I recall?
As of right now there is no 600 series chipset. There could be something announced on the 8th. I'm half expecting a refresh (X590 for argument's sake) because the X570 was such a thrown together hodge-podge, but until then X570 is still the top.

To be honest though, B550 isn't a bad shout. You got PCIe 4 on your primary 16x slot (and can split to a pair of 8x if you wish) and a PCIe4 SSD slot tied directly to the CPU. So unless you want multiple PCIe 4 SSDs in RAID you don't really need anything more than B550.

Soldato
One of the reasons I dislike my TR build is because of the chipset fan noise, it’s hideous. Is it going to be the same with Zen 3?

I'd buy B550 not X570 personally, unless you need loads of extras on the board. You can get the Asus B550-F ROG Strix Gaming for £150 which is a good board for the price.

Soldato
As of right now there is no 600 series chipset. There could be something announced on the 8th. I'm half expecting a refresh (X590 for argument's sake) because the X570 was such a thrown together hodge-podge, but until then X570 is still the top.

To be honest though, B550 isn't a bad shout. You got PCIe 4 on your primary 16x slot (and can split to a pair of 8x if you wish) and a PCIe4 SSD slot tied directly to the CPU. So unless you want multiple PCIe 4 SSDs in RAID you don't really need anything more than B550.

I believe it's all but confirmed that the x670 will launch alongside the Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series?) CPU's on desktop. I'm hoping it's got updated chipset silicon that enables easy passive operation, by reducing the power consumption of the chipset, as well as improved memory compatibility and general Zen3 optimizations.

Wouldn't be surprised if Intel launch another lGA1200 chipset too, one that will be fully PCIEv4 certified, as well as fixing the 2.5Gbe hardware issue on Z490 boards.

Whichever is faster, I just hope there's good availability!

Soldato
I believe it's all but confirmed that the x670 will launch alongside the Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series?) CPU's on desktop. I'm hoping it's got updated chipset silicon that enables easy passive operation, by reducing the power consumption of the chipset, as well as improved memory compatibility and general Zen3 optimizations.

Wouldn't be surprised if Intel launch another lGA1200 chipset too, one that will be fully PCIEv4 certified, as well as fixing the 2.5Gbe hardware issue on Z490 boards.

Whichever is faster, I just hope there's good availability!
Where did you get that info about x670? Would be interested in a quick read.

Soldato
I’m really excited to see what zen 3 brings. I’ve been intel for years, I desperately need a new build as my 7700k is showing its age with my 3090. I am hoping it performs well as I really need to upgrade in the next few months and it’s either a zen 3 or a 10900k.

Soldato
Where did you get that info about x670? Would be interested in a quick read.

Just from google. It's all rumour mill at the moment, same as Zen3. Guessing they'll be launched together - as the last AM4 flagship board. Rumours mention USB4 as well, would be a nice addition.

Soldato
I’m really excited to see what zen 3 brings. I’ve been intel for years, I desperately need a new build as my 7700k is showing its age with my 3090. I am hoping it performs well as I really need to upgrade in the next few months and it’s either a zen 3 or a 10900k.

I'm in a similar boat, my 6700k won't get the most from the 3090, even at 4k! Remember there'll be a 11900k as well, Rocketlake, which is rumoured to have up to 30% IPC (15% from icelake, 15% from rocket lake), though meant to be very power hungry as it's still on 14nm.

Looking forward to official benchmarks from both, may the best CPU win!

Soldato
I don't think it's "all but confirmed" at all. From what I've read on the usualnews sites it likely won't launch with Zen3 and will arrive later in 2020/2021.
Ya if there is a new chipset then for sure next year. But I can’t see it tbh. They will be looking to put money & time into AM5 surely.

also if the next chipset is X670 what are they gonna do with B and A series. Kinda messy. Although if they do bring a chipset out I wouldn’t be surprised if they call it X590 or something. From what I can gather from the rumour mills, if this new chipset exists, they just gonna address the chipset fan issue. So no gain in features or new tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom