£5k - 25k Miles a year - What would you choose?

Soldato
Why don’t you think, you wouldn’t get a good CC within that budget. I bought mine 18 months ago with a similar budget. Mine had just over 100k on the clock with full VW history. got to say it’s been a very good machine. I do around 15k a year. It is certainly not a sport drive, but does the job very well.
My wife owns a Mazda 6 (petrol) so lightly different. But if I had to choose between the two I would always take the CC. The Mazda 6 is a great car. But the CC is more comfortable, quieter and so far we have had more issues with the Mazda than the VW.

I stand corrected. I didn't think they had dropped that cheaply. Now I've had a look, it looks like the OP would get a better CC than VRS, so I'd swap my recommendation to that.

Associate
The VRS is a great value car. I sold my 2009 TDI last summer for just under £4k - only because it had become our 2nd car and we didn't need one anymore when my wife changed jobs. I'd had it for 7 years and taken it from 40k to 120k miles. Nothing ever went wrong with it - so reliable and cheap to run.

Caporegime
Me personally? An LPG converted LS430.

A normal person? A VAG 2.0 TDI probably, like you have picked. For higher mileage I'd go with the plushest option. Out of your shortlist, that would be the CC. Or you could probably get an A6.

Associate
I stand corrected. I didn't think they had dropped that cheaply. Now I've had a look, it looks like the OP would get a better CC than VRS, so I'd swap my recommendation to that.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine and at the price I paid. It was to good, of a deal to walk away from. The VRS is a great car, my friend has one and it’s great to but even he said he prefers the CC.

Associate
Me personally? An LPG converted LS430.

A normal person? A VAG 2.0 TDI probably, like you have picked. For higher mileage I'd go with the plushest option. Out of your shortlist, that would be the CC. Or you could probably get an A6.

That would be a great call, I do like myself a nice Lexus.

Associate
Jag XF, get the 3 litre diesel and it'll do 45-50mpg on the motorway but press the dynamic button and select sports mode and it seems to shrink and you can have some decent fun. Mine has the upgraded sports seats that are heated and cooled, great stereo and a fundamentally better ride than a Civic or VW CC.

Caporegime
Jag XF, get the 3 litre diesel and it'll do 45-50mpg on the motorway but press the dynamic button and select sports mode and it seems to shrink and you can have some decent fun. Mine has the upgraded sports seats that are heated and cooled, great stereo and a fundamentally better ride than a Civic or VW CC.

Paging @233

Soldato
Awful suggestion for this use case tbh. They get like 30mpg on the motorway. :p

If someone has LPG converted one then I guess! But why not go the whole hog and get an LS in that case. :D

Just one mechanical issue with a derv would probably wipe out the fuel savings for the year. There’s also a price you pay for not driving a 4 pot tractor lump. It was just a suggestion after OP said they’d quite like a Lexus. There is also the 220d but eww.

Soldato

Xf is a great shout. 5k is bottom budget pre facelift saloon

but you’ll get enough toys and a 3l v6 275bhp diesel for 5k

buy on condition and spec and ignore miles but make sure it’s got a solid history and regular engine oil changes and gearbox oil changes every 100k and you’ll be fine

the 3.0 v6 has a few weak points that will always need addressing

inlet manifolds and intercoolers being weak spots so ideally look for one with history of these being done or budget for it

Back
Top Bottom