• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Soldato
@FoxEye
@markymoo

In my opinion 1440p is still the sweet spot for gaming. I am not saying 4k cant be done, but, you really need to be going really high end hardware, and then it depends what kind of gaming experience you want and what kind of performance. Single player games with high end hardware 4k, sure, why not? But to try and play anything competative or something where you need consistent high FPS, then......I dont think we are quite there yet.

As you corectly stated above "depend almost entirely on the game and the settings you use in game"

I’ve been playing around with some top notch monitors recently, and I’d say you have to make some assumptions, playable frame rate pixel patch density and so on, but resolution is still king for most games. After 90hz~ VVR it’s pretty much all about about resolution. You simply have more pixels to shoot at.

@FoxEye
@markymoo

In my opinion 1440p is still the sweet spot for gaming. I am not saying 4k cant be done, but, you really need to be going really high end hardware, and then it depends what kind of gaming experience you want and what kind of performance. Single player games with high end hardware 4k, sure, why not? But to try and play anything competative or something where you need consistent high FPS, then......I dont think we are quite there yet.

As you corectly stated above "depend almost entirely on the game and the settings you use in game"
I hope so! Just bought my first gaming monitor (1440p 165hz). Not got a build together just yet, but can't wait to play a game at >60fps. Thinking of the Zen 3 replacement for the 3700X.

Soldato
4haqbh.jpg

Associate
When some new parts arrive (and I get my 3080 in 2077) I'll be gaming purely 4K so I am thinking i'll be GPU locked with my 3900X. I do a lot of encoding so I'm going to have to look at the numbers on that front but I don't think it will be an urgent upgrade for me - I think I'm going to give this AM4 platform and this X570 Xtreme motherboard one last hurrah with the new Zen 3 16 core maybe late spring next year before saving the pennies for a few years and go full hog threadripper or Intel if they drag themselves out of the hole they put themselves in. People forget they were a whole process generation ahead of everyone when they got to 14nm but got caught napping.
I'll just have to sit on my hands in a few days as the urge to update straight away will be strong!

Associate
If the leaks about IPC are true then I will be upgrading to the 5900X for sure

Im also expecting them to have improved the Infinity Fabric and hoping they can support 2000MHZ out the box - opening up to faster RAM @ 1:1 - Would be disappointed if they didnt do that I think

Associate
Any fellow 3700X owners slightly worried.....lol

That the equivalent CPU will be significantly faster in games, not that the 3700X is a slouch. Definitely a bout of wanting over needing.

Why would we be worried :D

Upgraded from a 4790K at launch and it's been great. I expect these Zen 3 chips to at the very least reach parity with Intel for gaming but for me the 3700X doesn't bottleneck me in things like CSGO and in just about every other game resolution and fidelity is key, not obscene framerates.

Soldato
resolution and fidelity is key, not obscene framerates.

It depends what game and what you are after. Id agree pretty much any single player game, I'd take 60fps and take highest graphics settings and res as I could. To be honest depending on the game even less than 60fps is more than acceptable.

But if you want to play online at anything semi competitive you need the FPS. "They" say the human eye can't see more than 24-48 fps, firstly that's quite a margin and secondly I call ******** on that anyway because I definitely can. And if that means I have crazy super power eyes then fine.

Secondly it's not just about what you can see but what you can feel, the FPS a game is running at feeds back through everything, in a game where literally fractions of a second between live or die you need all of your controls and latency sharp.

And the proof is in the pudding, as I've recently upgraded just my monitor, and jumping from 60 fps to 90 on average, I've noticed a jump performance. The only thing is my 10 year old i7-2600k doesn't like it when there is a lot going on, and dips right down to like 30fps and you can feel it.

AMD to need hurry up and get these Zen 3 in the shops!

Pet Northerner
Don
Although I'm happy with my 3600X, the x370 board that I orgianlly stuck my 1600 in need updating.

Hopefully the new boards are backwards compatible and I'll pick one up when I get my new GPU

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I've been out of the PC game for a few years so have no idea these days about what's good, and what's coming around the corner.

I'm planning on a £1.5k build soon and was originally planning an i5 10600K and an RTX3070. I guess it's definately worth waiting for these new AMD chips to arrive? Do you think they will offer something better for around the £300 mark?

Thanks!!

Associate
Hi everyone,
I've been out of the PC game for a few years so have no idea these days about what's good, and what's coming around the corner.

I'm planning on a £1.5k build soon and was originally planning an i5 10600K and an RTX3070. I guess it's definately worth waiting for these new AMD chips to arrive? Do you think they will offer something better for around the £300 mark?

Thanks!!

Short answer, yes. The expectation is that AMD will launch something at least as good but probably better than anything Intel has in just a few days time - and knowing AMD, probably for a very good price point.

Back
Top Bottom