"Speed Limit for Air Quality"

Soldato
I'm all for reducing emissions, but dropping traffic speeds from 70 to 60mph for a stretch of road isn't going to make that much difference in a big urban area.

As always though, it's easier to force through these kind of annoyances than make real investment in infrastructure that would bring about a genuine difference.

Caporegime
I'm all for reducing emissions, but dropping traffic speeds from 70 to 60mph for a stretch of road isn't going to make that much difference in a big urban area.

As always though, it's easier to force through these kind of annoyances than make real investment in infrastructure that would bring about a genuine difference.

It can and does make a genuine difference. You're talking up to a 20% reduction if everyone sticks to the limit.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Cargo vehicles (trucks) are already restricted to 89Km/h - 55mph - as for Vans, they can legally do 70 on a motorway just as a car can, and do it easily, many exceed this by a fair margin more than some car drivers too.
No they're not, as they're commonly doing more than that on motorways. Legally LGVs can do 60 on the motorway and some even 70 (if less than 7.5t, non-articulated / not towing).

Sit them all in lane 1 at 55 with the occasional crawler lane on a larger scale to how the A5 used to work before it was flooded with traffic.

Ah yes, I forgot vans would be included. They're exempt of course, I love me a nice, empty van in the snow :)

Soldato
You should try being an EV driver. I’m being forced to slow down for an air quality problem I’m not contributing to. Now that’s annoying.
Does your car have rubber tyres? If so it's still causing plenty of pollution. You then also have brake dust polution.
Don't fall for the EV equals completely green.

Man of Honour
What am I missing

'Speed limiters must be fitted... ... goods vehicles with a maximum laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes'

It doesn't matter what the speed limit is - all goods vehicles over 3.5t are legally obligated to be fitted with a speed limiter which limits the speed to 90kmh.

This is 56mph.

Yes, it means that it isn't legally possible to drive at the speed limit for a sustained period of time in a UK registered HGV on a UK Motorway.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
It says they are to be legally fitted yes, but it does not state the speed from what I can see?

Back
Top Bottom