**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Initially it didn't work at all...so not great!
Ended up removing all fingerprints, re adding and then restarting the phone and it's worked fine ever since. Definitely works better than the one in the mate 20 pro and is fine for logging into NatWest app.
Cool cheers. I never particularly liked the ultrasonic scanner that Samsung use on their flagships and was even more intrigued when I learned this was the "cheaper" optical version. I really like the optical scanner on the OnePlus so interested to see how they compare.

On my earlier comment, I managed to find one of dad's old Motorolas lying around so I am going to take Squink's advice and get the £75 off direct from Samsung. Unfortunately it means waiting until probably Tuesday for it to arrive as opposed to just walking into Argos today and taking home the 4g variant. But even the least rational individual can see it makes no sense to go for the 4g for a mere £25 saving - I just have to use all my will power until Argos close this evening!

Associate
Cool cheers. I never particularly liked the ultrasonic scanner that Samsung use on their flagships and was even more intrigued when I learned this was the "cheaper" optical version. I really like the optical scanner on the OnePlus so interested to see how they compare.

On my earlier comment, I managed to find one of dad's old Motorolas lying around so I am going to take Squink's advice and get the £75 off direct from Samsung. Unfortunately it means waiting until probably Tuesday for it to arrive as opposed to just walking into Argos today and taking home the 4g variant. But even the least rational individual can see it makes no sense to go for the 4g for a mere £25 saving - I just have to use all my will power until Argos close this evening!
Samsung.com will deliver next day by DPD inc. Sunday - also postcode depending same day if ordered before noon.

Soldato
Samsung.com will deliver next day by DPD inc. Sunday - also postcode depending same day if ordered before noon.
If only I were that lucky - I live in NI so same day isn't available and even next day is touch and go. My S10e arrived next day from them to be fair but that was midweek, I'm not sure what they are like at processing/dispatching orders at the weekends. But either way Red 5g ordered up :D

Oh and @Squink cheers for the heads up on Quidco - It was actually 2.4% when I did it but hey £15 is £15.

Last edited:
Associate
If only I were that lucky - I live in NI so same day isn't available and even next day is touch and go. My S10e arrived next day from them to be fair but that was midweek, I'm not sure what they are like at processing/dispatching orders at the weekends. But either way Red 5g ordered up :D

Oh and @Squink cheers for the heads up on Quidco - It was actually 2.4% when I did it but hey £15 is £15.
They are pretty good. You should get a DPD notification later this evening towards Midnight.

Soldato
Might that be a factory applied screen protector?
No its not that... It's not really a biggy tbh just a minor annoyance.
Little update on first 24 hours with the phone:
Battery was good for 5hrs SoT at 20% remaining. This included all the initial setup/downloading of apps/music etc and obviously had the screen set to 120hz. Pretty happy with that.
Went out today for a long walk in the rain and found the fps really does not like any moisture at all. Guess this is to be expected but it failed far more times than it worked.
Hmmm.. not much else to say yet. Camera seems good not great. Video is very good. Speakers are good and ear piece volume when calling someone is very good.

Associate
I can get a S20+ with the exynos for £625 in Gibraltar. Feel like at that price, even with the inferior chip it represents better value than the FE?

Soldato
I can get a S20+ with the exynos for £625 in Gibraltar. Feel like at that price, even with the inferior chip it represents better value than the FE?
It depends what you want in a phone I guess. I was/am defiant that my next phone would have a flat screen. Curved screens aren't a total PITA I will admit but I just hate how the manufacturers decided they were going to mass produce curved phones at flagship level regardless of what the consumer wanted. Plus given the equal choice i.e. not being forced to buy a low to mid range phone I would prefer flat over curved and the S20 FE provides this. Aside from the camera and the glass back (if that's a deal breaker) there's not much to choose. Qhd is irrelevant since the S20+ can only run 120hz @ fhd anyway.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Soldato
Worth mentioning that the bloat on the FE seems to be minimal. Facebook was there but was properly uninstalled (not disabled) without issue. Aside from a few MS and Samsung apps there really isn't much to complain about.

Soldato
I like the flat screen, but a bit sad about the slower CPU as I heard the 5G one is snapdragon globally, which would fix the issues I have with the Note10+ camera as I could use gcam to bypass Samsung's crappy processing.

But mostly I just want a Samsung with a flat screen as that alone is pushing me to Apple.

Soldato
6gb Ram is the only thing stopping it being an unmissable buy IMO. 8gb and it would be pretty much perfect for the price.
It's a concern but not one that's stopping me from possibly changing from my 8gb 7T Pro.
A lot comes down to ram management as well. I don't recall having any notable issues with my 6gb S10e. OnePlus have some fairly aggressive RAM management so even with the 8gb quite a few apps still have to fully reload each time they're brought back to the front.

Back
Top Bottom