Student rendering/CAD rig

Associate
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out here.
I've been a bit out of the loop on most recent developments in hardware world and don't know what currently seems to fit best performance/price ratio.

I've got a friend who's daughter is starting Uni soon and she needs a PC rig for her architecture course, where they will use CAD tools heavily and most likely do a lot of rendering work.
Their budget is not massive, about £700 for the lot (excl. Windows, screen, keyboard, mouse).

I immediately though of Dell outlet and found a Precision T3630 system with Xeon E-2274G, 4.9GHz and Quadro P620 2GB GPU, 512GB SSD, within their budget. 3 year warranty on a refurb so seems pretty solid. Only would have to upgrade Ram as it was 1x 8GB.

However, perhaps a more gaming orientated machine with more regular setup could do the job?

Thoughts?

Associate
OP
It's rather vague
Minimum i5, i7 recommend or AMD equivalent.
Minimum 16GB Ram, but 32GB recommend.
256GB SSD
Integrated graphics they said would be OK, but sky is the limit and will help

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Thanks!
My focus was on CPU and GPU at this point in time, but a good spot - I'd go with ~500GB SSD - not a massive difference in price these days.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,
Finally put something together as a self build so would be keen to get your opinion on the following:
Mobo - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (benchmarks suggest better performance to i5-10400)
GPU - GTX 1650 Super TUF OC 4GB
Mem - VULCAN Z T-FORCE 16GB, 3200MHz
SSD - Crucial P1 1TB NVMe, alternatively WD Blue M.2 1TB
PSU - EVGA BR 600W or Seasonic S12 III 650W
Case - Zalman T7 Mid
Cooler - Arctic Freezer 34 esports Duo or Corsair H100 (need adapter plate for AM4)

All comes to just under £700.

I think the next most logical upgrade would be extra 16GB RAM if this becomes a limit (in 1-2 years time), than upgrade of motherboard and CPU (2-3 years time) before upgrading GPU (3-4 years).

Soldato
Id be wary of a big tower cooler on a machine for someone who is not necessarily into pcs to take to uni, chances are at some point it''ll end up in the back of a car, the normal way up with the heatink stressing the mountings and board as its driven along, perfectly fine if it stays in one place, or its carted round by an ethusiast who will at the very least transort it on its side, or even take cooler off for transport

Back
Top Bottom