**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah funnily enough branching out into GA as a break from the broken 747 has been a new experience for me. I've really enjoyed the Bush trips and navigating by landmarks, and even IFR in some of the GA aircraft is totally doable now. I've noticed the little planes really get tossed about since the new patch which feels a lot more realistic. Landing on that big mesa airport from the training in the strong winds activity was nuts!

Anyone noticed a lot more pop in of trees since the patch? I was doing the Japan discovery flight and it was driving me nuts watching the trees and terrain mesh popping in practically below the aircraft

I haven't tried it yet but seen lots of people complaining about various graphical downgrades.

What are your settings like? Could be possible they adjusted down some of the presets for better performance?

Soldato
I haven't tried it yet but seen lots of people complaining about various graphical downgrades.

What are your settings like? Could be possible they adjusted down some of the presets for better performance?
Yeah tbh I haven't checked if they changed at all, but my performance is the same so it just feels like I got a downgrade for no extra performance. Don't get me wrong, it's still gorgeous, but not AS gorgeous when trees are springing up on the ground everywhere and you're at 2k feet so it's painfully distracting. I was in the beechcraft as well so not exactly a fast airplane or slow server loading. Just a tiny LOD

Associate
On the off chance I am being thick, is there a way to update/patch the game without starting it? Xbox app told me there was an update to flight sim about 600mb which I downloaded but then when I start it up theres a further 7ishGB required. Seems a bit naff to need to start it up to patch.

Soldato
No the respective stores literally just deal with the launcher... so that 600mb update you mentioned was just to update the launcher itself.

The launcher is responsible for installing/updating the actual game files, so you have to open it in order to apply updates to the game itself.

Also worth noting that you then have to go into marketplace and download the Japan update separately which is a further 1.5ish gb on top of the sim update.

Soldato
had a few flights today in the 747. That thing is seriously broken. I was coming in on ILS approach and suddenly it decided to set airspeed to 250kts when I was at 1000 feet full flaps! Also the airspeed setting wouldn't change from mach to kts. All sorts of other weird stuff. Buggy as balls. A320 is in much better shape.

Sometimes this game is just stunning, when it's not ******* me off :p
747 is proper broke. AP cannot track a straight line in cruise and on an ILS approach won’t hold APP mode just goes back to LNAV and starts to climb again. Then again the A320 is just plain broken.

Soldato
747 is proper broke. AP cannot track a straight line in cruise and on an ILS approach won’t hold APP mode just goes back to LNAV and starts to climb again. Then again the A320 is just plain broken.
A320 has been alright for me. Been the odd glitch here and there, but nothing anywhere near as bad as the 747

Soldato
Performance is noticeably worse for me in the latest patch. 2080 super with 9900k at 1440p high settings. Lots of stuttering and overall low fps. Cockpit seems worse than exterior views from what i can tell.
I completely forgot that there also a cockpit view :o
I haven't tried that view yet.

Soldato
Guys how do i back this game up as am looking to format my M.2 C: drive i have it installed on ?

(It the game pass version)

AFAIK you can't.

Also, if your Windows Store games aren't on your OS drive then save yourself a headache: delete them before formatting your OS drive or reinstalling Windows.

Soldato
Guys how do i back this game up as am looking to format my M.2 C: drive i have it installed on ?

(It the game pass version)

Copy the folder you installed it to when it did the initial and subsequent patch update phases, you can simply copy it back that way. You'll still need to install the launcher as usual but the data that it downloads is restorable.
AFAIK you can't.

Also, if your Windows Store games aren't on your OS drive then save yourself a headache: delete them before formatting your OS drive or reinstalling Windows.
You can, did it myself :)

Soldato
You can, did it myself :)

Fair enough.

Hasn't worked for me on the times I've tried it, with the games installed to a second drive. I know I'm not the only one here who has had this problem too; a lot of discussion on this over the past year in the Game Pass thread.

Associate
Obviously you fly, but what do you actually do in this game and is the main attraction fun or relaxing? I've always found it interesting, but never ventured into a flight sim. I bought a cheap HOTAS (a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X) for Elite Dangerous all those years back and never really got the hang of it, nor for Star Citizen, and ended up finding M&KB more playable. Is it better to play this kind of game with a HOTAS or is M&KB a legitimate option?

Soldato
Obviously you fly, but what do you actually do in this game and is the main attraction fun or relaxing? I've always found it interesting, but never ventured into a flight sim. I bought a cheap HOTAS (a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X) for Elite Dangerous all those years back and never really got the hang of it, nor for Star Citizen, and ended up finding M&KB more playable. Is it better to play this kind of game with a HOTAS or is M&KB a legitimate option?
Hotas or 360 pad, mouse and keyboard is a bit grim

Associate
Thought i better join this thread since i do a bit of virtual flying. I have been heavily into flight sims since MS 2004, then FSX, X-Plane 11 and now this. I know there are a lot of issues with MSFS but even so, It is still a work of art. If you are happy bush flying then it really is hard to beat. Perfomance wise i have never seen a flight sim run so well off the bat. Heck the system in my sig with my old 2080 struggled in X-Plane 11 in 4k. MSFS was running at pretty much all high settings in 4K and the icing on the cake for me was my new GPU. This sim is going to be supported for the next ten years and i am blown away with it already. Another year or so down the line we will have plenty of 3rd party AC. I for one will be looking forward to the PMDG release which could be a year from now. Till then i will make do the the Neo fly by wire mod and the TBM. More work needed on the 747/787 but i am sure they will get there with time.

Everyone should enjoy it the best they can. Still blows me away eveytime i see a sunrise/sunset in the sim.

Below is a pic of my setup. TrackIR is a must for the sim! Honeycomb bravo is on pre-order, looking forward to its arrival. Also a set of the Thrustmaster T-Flight pedals on the floor which will be replaced when the Charlie pedals get released next year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom