Cineworld to close all its UK cinemas putting 5,500 jobs at risk

Soldato
Independent cinemas are offering a lot of what people are saying they're looking for here - worth finding out of you have a local one if you've not checked!

I had the chance to see Top Gun last year in a good cinema with a Dolby Atmos system (would love to see something like Heat in same place). I've got a good setup at home IMO but would never be able to match the experience it offered. It was awesome.

Soldato
I haven't been the to the cinema for years, due largely to young children. But even before kids, I was finding the cinema a bit rubbish.

Expensive tickets, crazy priced snacks and the nonsense of sitting through half an hour of adverts and trailers. Going with your mates is pretty crap as you don't really get to chat with them. Better to go out to pub or restaurant.

Have a half decent projector at home now and (pre-covid) host film nights. Far better experience all round.

Man of Honour
From what they were saying on the news this is only a temporary closure and they are not shutting down for good.

Haven't been to a cinema for well over a year now as it's just too expensive and nobody has any consideration for others these days. We only have a local non chain cinema and they charge £9.50 per adult for admission. By the time we buy our drinks and snacks that's £35 to watch a movie just for our experience to be ruined by selfish ******** that keep talking and/or keep using their damn mobiles. I would rather wait until it's been out on Blu-Ray for a while and pick it up for less than a tenner and get to watch it whenever I want to in the comfort of my own home.

Associate
Not surprising really, people get nervous about catching Covid and it’s not really worth it anyway as you always get some idiots that will just chat near you or even take calls during the film (happened quite a few times).

Caporegime
Yeah because we all love going to the cinema and spending £50. Good riddance!

We went as three for less than £30 and that included a share popcorn and drink. The independent Cinema in our little town is about the only thing left that is decent. It would also have a knock on effect for all the restaurants in the area if it were to close down.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what some of their venues get reused for - I would think most of the buildings are pretty unique in terms of size and layout.

They'll become one of the following 3 things:

a) The council buys it and turns it into offices
b) A developer buys it and turns it into apartments
c) A foreign investor buys it and leaves it empty (called "buy to leave")

The same will happen to nightclubs, theatres and other entertainment venues. Hell, even without covid, I was looking at some of the nightclubs in Bristol and Birmingham that I used to go to and a lot of them are now offices or apartments. What a boring and reclusive place the UK has become :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Gutted. My daughter loves the 4DX screen and it was always a novelty to go watch a family film :(

Caporegime
This quote on the BBC story is great:-

The film industry had hoped the release of No Time To Die would spark a movie-going revival in the UK, with so many cinemas having been mothballed for months following the Covid-19 lockdown in March.

But on Friday the movie's release was further delayed until 2 April 2021 "in order to be seen by a worldwide theatrical audience".

By delaying the release they've actually expedited the closure of many cinemas across the country (probably the world tbh) so there will be much less of an audience to show it to, by all accounts a lot of people have been to see Tenet which goes to show if something is worth watching people will still go out.

They didnt though. It was the poor figures for how few people went to see Tenet which made the Bond people pull the movie. At least thats what they said on the radio this morning. But I agree, if mover companies are delaying release of all the big money taking films, why would people go to the cinema?

Soldato
The cinemas around me have really been upping their game in the last 18 months, the Odeon has had a full renovation into a "luxe" and didn't up its prices after, which was great, as the screens are incredible quality, you get full reclining seats that even with my legs completely straight people can still get past my chair etc, really a stark difference to crappy seats where you have to stand up to let people pass etc.

There are two things that are currently killing the cinema at this exact point in time, IMO:

1) Having to wear a mask - should be the same as restaurants, wear a mask whilst moving around but once sat down, take it off.
2) No movies coming out - this is obviously a real killer, no new releases = no point

Man of Honour
Independent cinemas are offering a lot of what people are saying they're looking for here - worth finding out of you have a local one if you've not checked!

I had the chance to see Top Gun last year in a good cinema with a Dolby Atmos system (would love to see something like Heat in same place). I've got a good setup at home IMO but would never be able to match the experience it offered. It was awesome.

Depends a bit if you have neighbours as well - can't fully replicate the experience sound wise unless you either have decent isolation, live fairly remotely or just don't give a ****.

If you have the right setup at home it can do the experience well however.

Caporegime
I'd still go.
Id still go in the pandemic. Not bothered by covid.

But there have been no films I've wanted to see in last 6 months.

At only 8 pounds for imax I think it's well worth it
4.50 when it's normal screen

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends a bit if you have neighbours as well - can't fully replicate the experience sound wise unless you either have decent isolation, live fairly remotely or just don't give a ****.

If you have the right setup at home it can do the experience well however.
Yeah - hadn't thought about the neighbours if going for the full effect! I use a Sky SoundBox (cheap Devialet) the mo - it's able to rattle the windows, I'm not sure I could live with anything more powerful tbh - not unless I had a very large lounge or proper home cinema room anyway

Man of Honour
Yeah - hadn't thought about the neighbours if going for the full effect! I use a Sky SoundBox (cheap Devialet) the mo - it's able to rattle the windows, I'm not sure I could live with anything more powerful tbh - not unless I had a very large lounge or proper home cinema room anyway

When I was younger and working a better job I spent loads of money (full KEF speaker setup) on a setup before realising living in what was essentially an apartment complex (better describes it than flats) was rather limiting on what I could do with it :s

Man of Honour
I love going to the cinema for the big screen experience. Dunkirk, Star Wars, Marvel. We get cheap cineworld tickets through the other halfs work.
Local cineworld is a dump. But it is Stevenage...

My local independent cinema & theatre have reopened. They reopened later than the cineworld. Theatre side is still closed and will be until next year at least.

Fantastic place though. Staff are wonderful and fun. Star wars midnight premieres for the last trilogy were close to Christmas so the had the salvation army band in playing carols. Until about 11:55 when the conductor changed his baton for a light saber and they'd play the star wars theme. :D

Back
Top Bottom