What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Put my Mrs' working from home desk together

IMG-20201003-094951-01.jpg

Where did you get the desk from?

Soldato
I've got the same Vent Axia fan but 150mm going to my bathroom. I had to mount it from bungee cords in the end because even on rubber feet it was sending audible vibrations down through the chipboard/joists.

You might want to watch out for condensation in your run as technically your supposed to use insulated ducting in the loft space but you could wrap the pipe if needed.

Your 150mm version must be more powerful than the 100mm version I have as I don't hear anything from the fan apart from the sound of air passing through the vent. As for insulating the ducting I did think of it and may still do it if required, but my thoughts were it may not be needed with such a powerful fan, smooth bore pipe and at an incline to the outside, water shouldn't condense and sit in the pipework. Time will tell!

Associate
I had several carpet indents, carpet is decent quality and a couple of years old, only the previous owners furniture (sofa, duvan bed) left some pretty hefty imprints. Where they had a sofa, I have two chairs and a glass side table, so the impressions really stick out - it was doing my head in!

Originally learned about the ice cube method but never got around to trying, then read about steam cleaners are good for impressions. So I started looking at investing in a Karcher SC5 and then did a quick google on YouTube and well, using an iron and damp towel, not only works a treat, I am delighted with the results; now looks as new! :)

Soldato
Started decorating today, did ceilings and walls above picture rails in what will be our bedroom and office. Tomorrow finish the walls and then we'll be pretty much ready to move in. We have till end of the month to move out and I would like to do the whole house but in current situation I just wanna get in. Going from 2 bed terrace to 4 bed semi means we have rooms to move around whilst decorating the rest of the house.

Associate
No man jobs undertaken this weekend.

Bought a 4k monitor and a 3090, comes tomorrow.

If the wife finds out I'm dead meat.
She was at work:D

I'll do a few jobs next weekend i promise;)

Soldato
As previously with the boring job, I'm now exhausted :). Finished the bathroom extractor fan (Vent-Axia ACM100T).

Not your typical install; I used 100mm soil pipe and fittings rather than the flexible corrugated tubing. The flexible stuff collects moisture which condenses and sits in the corrugations and eventually rots the tubing. I had a distance of over 3m to the outside wall so would have been a lot of corrugations and would have sagged without propping up. With the soil pipe the airflow is unimpeded and if any moisture does remain and condense in the pipe it'll run outside. The Vent-Axia fan is near silent and the extraction rate is really impressive (220m³/hr).

I just need something to prop up the bend above so I can reclaim my spirit level!

Great job there, I'm about to do the same for a kitchen extractor and also for an inline bathroom one like you have. Is there a fall on it towards the outside?

Interesting to see you use soil pipe, I'll price it up vs the white 100mm extractor pipework.

As someone else has already said, throwing some quilt insulation around that pipe will help regarding winter condensation.

Soldato
Great job there, I'm about to do the same for a kitchen extractor and also for an inline bathroom one like you have. Is there a fall on it towards the outside?

Interesting to see you use soil pipe, I'll price it up vs the white 100mm extractor pipework.

As someone else has already said, throwing some quilt insulation around that pipe will help regarding winter condensation.

I recently changed my extractor fan in the kitchen and got rid of that horrible weak plastic and replaced it with proper white extractor manrose pipe work

it for sure not only makes a difference to the functionality but crucially I Found that there are less vibrations and sounds when using the extractor.

Soldato
My next job is to clear a deceased relatives home(rented :() who was a hoarder in the extreme I have opened an account with a local skip firm(again) .When he moved from his previous home and sold it 5 years ago it took 9 x 6 tonne skips :eek:

Soldato
Been a bit busy the last few weekends with "winter prep" and some other DIY jobs.
- Gutters leaked badly in the heavy rain, so finally managed to borrow some long ladders to clear out. The angled bit to the downpipe was where it collected the worst, actually amazed that any rain made it down the downpipe with how blocked it was. At least i shouldn't need to do that again for another 3-5 years.
- Also installed these spikey/bristly things that go in the gutter, that'll at least stop moss/leaves/other large debris from landing in the gutter.
- New LED security lighting in the back garden as the previous one never worked
- Replaced the security light on the side of the house as it was an old halogen bulb and would stay on pretty much all night so must have been costing me ££££ to run - swapped that with an LED one.
- Gave the shed a lick of paint, will need a few more coats for it to be true colour, but will need to wait for some drier days now
- Stuck the patio table in the shed
- Tidy up of the garden, got rid of all the old tomato plants that were pretty much dead
- Finished boarding another section in the loft, and moved stuff over so that weight is a bit more distributed. Also had to relay the insulation that i moved earlier in the year now that it's getting colder and don't want the heat escaping from the rooms

Need to finish off decorating the stairs and landing now;
- Mostly cut the architrave to size, will need to glue them to the door
- Once the above is done i can then cut skirting to size
- One the above is done i can then put down new carpet grippers, and new underlay
- Then need to pick a new carpet and arrange for fitting
- In the meantime there's a few areas of the landing/stairs that i need to paint after a few holes repaired.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I had several carpet indents, carpet is decent quality and a couple of years old, only the previous owners furniture (sofa, duvan bed) left some pretty hefty imprints. Where they had a sofa, I have two chairs and a glass side table, so the impressions really stick out - it was doing my head in!

Originally learned about the ice cube method but never got around to trying, then read about steam cleaners are good for impressions. So I started looking at investing in a Karcher SC5 and then did a quick google on YouTube and well, using an iron and damp towel, not only works a treat, I am delighted with the results; now looks as new! :)
Thanks for posting this, never heard of this and we have some which bug me daily...i will try this later

Soldato
Replaced the hinges on the window in my daughters room. Window wasn't sealing as part of the hinge that aligns the frame was broken. This meant there was nasty draft. £9 for the hinge in Screwfix and about 40 mins work. Tricky job on an upstairs window as it was quite heavy but very satisfying when done. Also replaced the rubber seal around the edges so should be toasty in there now.

Soldato

Cheers. Yes, there is a fall to the outside with a gravity flap vent fitted externally. I silicone sealed between the pipe and the brickwork to stop critters from getting in. I also used self-amalgamating tape on the ports of the fan and over the join at the pipes to the fan to provide the best seal possible but still slightly flexible. Cutting a straight edge on the soil pipe takes some practice and does need deburring afterwards. A little silicone spray on the connectors helps with taking them on and off when your first setting out your run.

I think soil pipe is ideal as it has poo-proof seals on the connectors, is a lot more sturdier and comes in 3m lengths, where as the normal ducting was only 1m straight lengths and would have needed a few connectors to get my length of run. Regarding cost, I got the soil pipe from Screwfix for £28 for 2 x 3m runs (it's 110mm not 100mm as I stated earlier) and the 2 angle fittings used were roughly £10 each, so including the tape the total cost was just over £50.

Back
Top Bottom