BMW E46 318Ci 2003, PETROL MANUAL

Associate
Hi all,

I've been looking to buy an E46 for a while and have come across this 2003 318Ci (PETROL) MANUAL SE 2 door. Its got 107156 miles on it and is going for £1500. The price is somewhat ok for a dealer and the bodywork is in great condition so the only worry is the mechanical state. It recently failed an MOT with the following problems;

-Front exhaust system insecure
-Play in steering rack inner joints
-Suspension arm ball joint has slight play both front outer
-Offside Front Wheel bearing rough when rotated
-Nearside Rear Wheel bearing rough when rotated

This car is being sold at a dealer who said he will run it through an MOT and ensure he fixes anything that comes up and will give me 12 months MOT and 6 months warranty on everything from engine and gearbox to suspension. This makes it seem a pretty good deal for £1500 as worst comes to worst it would be a 6 month joyride. I am slightly worried as it seems like the price has factored in some of the issues but from my research it would cost more to fix than what the price reflects.

I've got an OBDII scanner and can check for engine codes to be safe but aside from this can you advise what else I need to look for specifically in light of the MOT advisories above? Is there anything in particular I need to feel for when testing the severity of the steering rack issue and wheel bearings?

Also what kind of common problems do I need to look for in this model at 107k miles?

I really appreciate any advice that you can give me as I am new to the E46 and any help would go a long way!

Thanks.

Caporegime
I personally can’t see the point in buying anything other than a 6-cyl E46, and I certainly wouldn’t be paying a dealer premium for one at £1500.

An E46 at this point in its life is squarely in enthusiast only territory though, and an enthusiast wouldn’t be asking what the pitfalls are with the E46, they’d just know.

So why specifically are you after an E46?

With a budget of £1500, if this is a car to use daily, I’d look elsewhere. If it’s purely because you want an E46 and will be using it sparely/at weekends, then I’d want something more special than a 318.

I got rid of my 330d back in 2011, I wouldn't want it now!

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you want from the car? It won't be that fast but also not very economical either and will need fairly constant maintenance; as in more so than a focus or whatever. I assume that as an SE it won't have any toys or comforts like the sports leather heated seats or auto wipers etc that you get on higher e46 models. They're pretty common still so I would look around a bit more rather than go for a low spec one.

I'm not sure what this warranty with the dealer is all about but I would approach such a deal with huge amounts of salt and caution. What is actually covered? Someone else will be able to comment on this a lot more than me. Are you confident that the dealer will actually fix those issues at the last MOT properly?

As above these are still pretty common so you could probably find one without those issues?

Anyway check for rust on the wings and sills. Check for Vanos rattle (if the 318i has this variable valve business?), has the cooling system been refreshed recently? Handbrakes tend to go quite a bit on these cars too.

I have an 2003 e46 330ci

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. In summary, I have a budget of £1500 to spend on a car and I've been driving a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa since I got my license. Anything 1.6L to 2L is what I'm looking for as it's would be a massive contrast to what I'm used to and anything more is a bit much for an inexperienced driver like myself. I'm looking to buy my second car and would like the idea of working on the car myself to learn a little, its a large part of what I'm looking for. I am by no means an enthusiast but my father had several E46's and I just have a positive memory of them so it's why I've dabbled looking for them on the used car market. Having read your replies I think the E46 may be a bit of a step too far until I get some experience playing around with simpler cars.

What would you think is a good car that is more exciting than a 1.2 Corsa, relatively easy to work on and within the budget?

It would be my only car but I would only use it once or twice during the week and mainly on weekends. Id rather something interesting that I can get involved with than a completely safe and boring choice. If it means spending a few grand in the next few years then so be it but in this case it would have to be something that is enjoyable to drive.

Please let me know your thoughts, your experience will definitely help me make a decision.

Soldato
Any car of that age is going to need big £££ eventually to keep on the road. Engine, transmission, clutch all cost a LOT to repair or replace. Nice car but allow for spending on repairs as even though the miles are low something does not quite add up & the dealer probably took it as part exchange so wants to get rid of now.

I recently looked at a fabulous 2003 325 SE convertible which was only £2K. Interior was spotless like new so was the exterior but it did not drive smoothly something was not quite right so I passed on it. Its quite possible for major faults to be concealed for short periods of time so bear that in mind or face large bills to put it right!

Caporegime
Look closely at the bodywork and arches especially, these things do rust and that’s where it’s most common.

Another thing to consider is BMW love to use plastic on various parts in the cooling system, these go brittle with age and it’s a case of when they fail not if.

As said, if you really want an e46 then get one but with a better engine/trim , a 318i is nothing to get excited about - I’ve owned two in the past - at this budget I’d not be considering a 17 year old entry level BMW or indeed any other “premium brand”.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I had a E36 328 Sport and E46 330CI, would pick the E36 over the E46 anyday. Only good thing about the E46 was more comfort and nicer interior, but handling and extra weight didn't help...

I wouldn't daily one though, they've crap fuel economy, are slower than an EP3 and for the prices of nice examples you can now get something like a GT86. But, I have to say that they're reliable, all the BMW's I had were drifted and abused with 0 problems. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The engine in that era of 318i is an absolute dog - known most for the oil pump chain drive nut deciding to part ways leading to engine failure.
That, and it's a 4 pot engine worthy of a generic hatchback rather than something slightly 'fun'.

Get some insurance quotes for the the larger engined models if you do find another - you might be surprised. To date my 330cd was the cheapest car I've ever insured, followed by the M5 I currently have!

Associate
This will be the N42 engine so avoid, they had timing chains snapping.

Go 6 cylinder,.not much consumption difference Vs 4 pot.

If you want 4 pot stick to M43TU engine which is 1998-2001

Soldato
Spoiler alert: That warranty won't be worth the paper it's written on.

There is literally no point in buying a cheap old car from a dealer. You need to think how much (or rather, how little) he paid for it in order to make selling a £1500 car worth getting out of bed for.

If you absolutely must buy an old E46, go and pay £1500 for one from a private seller who has had it for years. You'll more than likely get a better car out of it. It'll still cost you a reasonable amount in maintenance due to its age and what it is, but you'll be paying for this whether you buy it from a dealer or not. And by willing to work on it yourself, you at least have the right attitude.

Oh, and ideally you should find a 320i upwards so it at least sounds the part.

Associate
Spoiler alert: That warranty won't be worth the paper it's written on.

There is literally no point in buying a cheap old car from a dealer. You need to think how much (or rather, how little) he paid for it in order to make selling a £1500 car worth getting out of bed for.

If you absolutely must buy an old E46, go and pay £1500 for one from a private seller who has had it for years. You'll more than likely get a better car out of it. It'll still cost you a reasonable amount in maintenance due to its age and what it is, but you'll be paying for this whether you buy it from a dealer or not. And by willing to work on it yourself, you at least have the right attitude.

Oh, and ideally you should find a 320i upwards so it at least sounds the part.
I disagree,.as.long as the warranty is directly with dealer. Buying private you have no recourse, from a dealer you can get a repair followed by a refund.

Soldato
I disagree,.as.long as the warranty is directly with dealer. Buying private you have no recourse, from a dealer you can get a repair followed by a refund.
You can certainly try, yes. But chances are a dealer at this level will be such a pain in the arse that you’ll soon wish you’d never bothered.

Associate
OP
I don't want to buy from a dealer but have seen a few cars that I was interested in from dealers. I mean for my budget I'm not expecting a car that would last over 2 years without spending a few pennies but I would like something that won't cost me £2000 in the first year. I have calmed my outlook a bit and was looking into 1.6 engines as I would expect them to be found in a more reasonable condition car at this price range. I was looking at an Audi A3 1.6 2004 being sold by a dealer for £1000. Its 80k miles which is suspect but the dealer price seems to be anywhere from £800 to £1800 on these cars so not sure if its worth viewing. The only serious advisory on the last 7 MOT's is that the airbag light was on.

Back
Top Bottom