Be Quiet 500DX

Associate
its literally sat ontop of the ram, all screws in however. So a heads up for anyone dont buy snazzy tall rgb ram with an aio! :D

What sort of temps are you getting?

Went for the same aio setup in a NZXt h710 but I'm finding the closed off design not doing great for temps, looking at a potential move to this case.

Associate
What sort of temps are you getting?

Went for the same aio setup in a NZXt h710 but I'm finding the closed off design not doing great for temps, looking at a potential move to this case.

My vega 56 hits 75 at 33% fan speed running fur mark and 68-70 in games.

The ryzen 3600 at 4.2 hits 85 under prime95 and 78 under gaming.

However this is with A balanced profile for the pump and The stock ML Corsair fans on the rad running at 1100rpm max and a curve set. This is very quiet

The 3 140mm fans, two intake 1 exhaust, I have on a curve and go to 100%, still silent. I would change these out but the temps seem fine and virtually silent

Associate
Glad I found this thread. I just got a 500DX and Freezer II 280 to go in. Transplanting my setup from a 12 year old Alienware case that looks nice but has bad bad airflow. The Tuf 3080 is still missing though so the old card will have to do. I was planning on doing the same as @Rob43 did.

I was also looking at a Lancool II Mesh but they are not around at the moment. This was mainly for the bottom air intake if I had gotten a FE 3080 but it sounds like the cards run cool enough.

[Update 1] Started my build (broke my CPU so paused while another arrives).
So far I like the case with only two things I dislike.
TL;DR Get some sleeved PSU cables they will fit better.
The clearance for the CPU power cable and 24pin Motherboard cable. I have a RM800x and the cables are quite robust and do not play well at fitting through the small holes. So much so that the removable cable hide/SSD-mount will not fit with the 24 pin motherboard cable, mainly this is the heat shrink around the cable. . I have some slavered cables coming (an new CPU) and they should do nicely.

Last edited:
Associate
Would the Liquid Freezer II 240 fit top mounted? (it is around 63 mm thick)
I wanted the AIO on the front as intake, and top/rear as exhaust, but I'm worried about negative pressure.

Any advice on how to setup the airflow with this AIO and the 3 stock fans?

Associate
Would the Liquid Freezer II 240 fit top mounted? (it is around 63 mm thick)
I wanted the AIO on the front as intake, and top/rear as exhaust, but I'm worried about negative pressure.

Any advice on how to setup the airflow with this AIO and the 3 stock fans?

It should fit, though space up there is tight. I have a 280 and that's a no on top mount.

Fan wise take the extra fan and put it at the front, so you have 2 x 140 intake fans up front. Hopefully that will be more air than the AIO + rear 140 extract, but probably more "balanced".

J-C

J-C

Associate
Is there another 15mm between the video card and the arctic cooler? I'm planning on a similar build but I don't have a 3080 yet, I'm on queue for EVGA cards and some of them are up to 300 mm compared to the 285 of the NVIDIA FE.. so wanted to make sure..... Thanks

Associate
Is there another 15mm between the video card and the arctic cooler? I'm planning on a similar build but I don't have a 3080 yet, I'm on queue for EVGA cards and some of them are up to 300 mm compared to the 285 of the NVIDIA FE.. so wanted to make sure..... Thanks

Yes there is 50mm gap between the end of that card and the radiator fins. I just measured it for you :)

I did check one would fit before I got the case as my initial aim was for an EVGA. The other thing to note is that that radiator is quite thick at 38mm so if using a different rad you will probably have more room.

My alternate pick was a Lancool II Mesh, but there are none in stock for a reasonable price. Lots of cases would fit the 300mm card but not also fit that radiator, especially in the orientation it is.

My main gripe about the case is the vertical cable/SSD cover, that gap is not sufficient for chunky cables, hence why I got the sleeved cables. Other than that it is a nice case, and using all 140mm fans it is quiet as they are on a low RPM.

J-C

J-C

Associate
Yes there is 50mm gap between the end of that card and the radiator fins. I just measured it for you :)

Thank you, really appreciate it.

I was also between the Lancool and the 500DX, but like you mentioned, can't find the Lancool in stock, so this one looks like a winner.

I did some research and the Arctic Freezer 280 is an excellent cooler and seeing your build convinced me that I'm on the right track.

Associate
Thank you, really appreciate it.

I was also between the Lancool and the 500DX, but like you mentioned, can't find the Lancool in stock, so this one looks like a winner.

I did some research and the Arctic Freezer 280 is an excellent cooler and seeing your build convinced me that I'm on the right track.

Yes I am pleased with it.
This is with an FE 3080, which does blow a lot of the air out of the rear. So an AIB card may perform slightly differently.

I have the stock BeQuiet fans at the top and top-back all running at a low RPM, the two AIO fans also run slow.
Ramping fans to max does not really affect the GPU temps.
I did try putting a fan under the GMP, on top of the PSU shroud and also a smaller one as intake from the back PCI slots. Neither of these had any effect on the temps.

What does work for the GPU temps is the GPU fans. I did a test at different speeds with Superposition. This was mainly to see how much a gap there was from Undervolting to OCing, but what was surprising is the fans really cool this GPU down, even if they sound like a jet engine at 80% :). Normally I don't hear the GPU as the fans are <50% with temps in the 60Cs. Some games push the card and I see GPU temps of 72C max (77C without the undervolt) and my 3700x bobs around the 50C mark.

AF 3080 in 500Dx using Superposition benchmark on 1080p Extreem
unknown.png

The only other thing I did was put a mesh (cut down 140mm fan filter) in place of the rear PCI slots as the card is pulling air in through here. We have three dogs and dust hair gets everywhere. The front and bottom air filters were another reason I went with this case.

xW5EmQrAUxb74chRttz2nMW3u9KxN5kmi-w_oIntA7zZDRbUtEDewW0llOJIJ4tBcnT8oGOBcofWroD5qafHZKDY98gVu06cke0R.png

Associate
As an update I have worked out I can get a 120mm in the front under the two 140mm fans of the AIO. It is tight and not sure if I will get many crews in it.

Oh and will be ordering two more 500Dx from OC and PSUs for two more builds.. because the whole family wants upgrades.

Associate
My latest adaptation to the case was to remove the HD tray and squeeze a 120mm fan underneath the two 140mm from the Freezer II 280. This required some filing of the 120mm to make it fit, maybe a few MM top and bottom. Not screwed in but it is jammed in there nice and tight :)

The idea was to just add more airflow under the GPU through the vents in the PSU shroud.

Back
Top Bottom