What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Today I got my car un-SORNED after two years and 3 months of sitting in my Dad's driveway (We no longer needed a second car and he liked it appearing as if someone was at home all the time). The car was started up every couple of months and the battery was charged up a while back (3 months?). Today it started up sluggishly and when I went to put petrol in (I deliberately left it pretty empty so that it would get fresh petrol when I needed to use the car again) it wouldn't start up afterwards, just faint electric clicking - pretty embarrassing. One cheeky battery switcheroo and it started up just fine (jumping it didn't work). Otherwise it ran absolutely wonderfully on the 45 minute drive home - you wouldn't have been able to tell it had been sat around for 27 months!

It's a E46 330ci manual and having driven a 70hp 2001 golf for 2 years this was quite nice indeed. Unfortunately many things need to be done, first and foremost wiper blades, then central locking, and then thermostat, then some traction control gremlin...

Associate
Went to change out the caliper on the FN2 that were sticky and were freed up last week. Managed to get hold of a pair of low mileage S2000 calipers off ebay for next to nothing. Fitted them for now while I have the FN2 ones refurbed. Braking now back to normal.

Have to pop into work for a few hours today so did the right (sticky) side first, went into work and did the other side when I am back. Started raining just as I finished. Got all my tools soaked and I spent more time drying and oiling my tools than doing the brakes!

Anyway, the seal has perished which is why it started sticking in the first place:

6z5AGz.jpg

Really, what I should have done was to refurb the S2000 ones and just fit them. Although the S2000 ones work the same, they are missing the Type R emboss, just can't live with that long term.

YJB1ND.jpg

I am thinking just polish them up a bit with a rotary wire brush, paint the Type in black and R in red. Everyone else have their whole caliper red which I think is over done. Also save me having to do the rears in matching colour as well.

Soldato
Today I got my car un-SORNED after two years and 3 months of sitting in my Dad's driveway (We no longer needed a second car and he liked it appearing as if someone was at home all the time). The car was started up every couple of months and the battery was charged up a while back (3 months?). Today it started up sluggishly and when I went to put petrol in (I deliberately left it pretty empty so that it would get fresh petrol when I needed to use the car again) it wouldn't start up afterwards, just faint electric clicking - pretty embarrassing. One cheeky battery switcheroo and it started up just fine (jumping it didn't work). Otherwise it ran absolutely wonderfully on the 45 minute drive home - you wouldn't have been able to tell it had been sat around for 27 months!

It's a E46 330ci manual and having driven a 70hp 2001 golf for 2 years this was quite nice indeed. Unfortunately many things need to be done, first and foremost wiper blades, then central locking, and then thermostat, then some traction control gremlin...
How did you mot it if it's been sitting for 27 months?

Soldato
OP
Oh yay, latest update in the saga that is keeping a 190,000 mile 530d on the road... :D

After a couple of sweary days on the driveway, the tip car now has:
- New crank pulley (OE Corteco)
- New belts (aux belt was well on the way, worrying at 2 years old)
- New RH front lower arm (the intermediate smaller arm, not the silly long one)
- Cracked strut brace replaced (suspect lazy mechanic in the past)
- New front brakes with sliders etc also replaced and hubs cleaned up (suspect lower arm and dirty hubs caused the last set to warp)

Still to do:
- Rear brakes are a little crusty, so will swap those before the MOT in March
- Rear air suspension height needs resetting, sat a little to one side after I (badly) adjusted it by eye a couple of months ago
- Replace mechatronic seals and sleeve in the gearbox (quite a big job) and replace plastic sump with revised metal version

The pile of parts to be fitted is finally getting smaller... :p

Soldato
OP
Is it an E60? If so how is it possibly worth all that bother :D
I quite like it, and there's no point moving to something newer if it still does what I want.
Quite a good 'swiss army knife' in terms of ability - usefully big for tip runs, comfy for runs to Southampton and back for business and still returns decent MPG on a long run. No point spending £8k+ on an F10 when this still does the job so well.

I'm also partially retired now, so labour is free :p
Edit: Forgot to add it's in wonderfully condition both inside and out; save for a few swirl marks the paintwork is still A1. Even rather rust-free underneath!

Associate
My Honda CRV MK2 currently on 122k, purchased at 110k.

Replaced all brake calipers, slider pins, discs and pads. Replaced clutch master and slave cylinders, aux belt, engine oil/oil filter. Also replaced steering wheel to a better condition OEM one. Also replaced front lower ball joints, passenger side door (as someone badly damaged the previous door when parked at Asda and naturally drove off...) and replaced knock sensor.

Next up diff oil and gearbox oil, and possibly VTEC solenoid needs some attention.

Really want to see how many miles I can keep this car going for, the K20a4 is a good engine. My wife uses it daily for commuting and with the kids. Ticks all the boxes.

Soldato
New brake master cylinder for the focus today - aside from some slightly annoying access with a scuttle panel reinforcement in the way and the fact that brake fluid is the devil's work it was about as easy a job as you can get really.

Caporegime
Took the TT out for a quick drive as it's been sat a week and it appears that the NSR caliper has seized :(

New one ordered and the old one is currently soaking in penetration oil so that hopefully I can get the brake line off without too much issue!

Soldato
Really want to see how many miles I can keep this car going for, the K20a4 is a good engine.

Almost the same engine as the one that was in my old 7th gen Accord, had it for over 10 years I put 70kish miles on it and sold it on at 160kish miles, and I can confidently say it would have passed 200k easily, such a great bullet proof engine.

Soldato
Yesterday got some minor damage repaired & it looked pristine again :D

Today someone hit it on the other side in my local Halfords car park :eek::mad: while I was in the shop then drove off :mad: but I did not notice until I got home & went to clean & polish the alloys :(:eek:

If I can DIY repair the scratches then its only going to cost me £30 for the paint touch up kits I ordered. If that will not repair it properly then looking at around £300 to get the entire panel resprayed :eek::(:(

Man of Honour
I think a car thought I was racing it. I went quickly from the first set of lights, barely half throttle, but roads were pretty empty and no speed limits were broken. Next set of lights, the car next to me stops at the red, then after a short while goes while the lights are still red, soon having to slam on its brakes and misses the car going across the junction through its own set of green lights by inches. Bizzare. It’s not the first time at these junctions I’ve seen cars go through red lights, what do people not understand about them?

Caporegime
I think a car thought I was racing it. I went quickly from the first set of lights, barely half throttle, but roads were pretty empty and no speed limits were broken. Next set of lights, the car next to me stops at the red, then after a short while goes while the lights are still red, soon having to slam on its brakes and misses the car going across the junction through its own set of green lights by inches. Bizzare. It’s not the first time at these junctions I’ve seen cars go through red lights, what do people not understand about them?
What veHICle were you in, and what were they in? :p

Just curious.

Man of Honour

I see so many people who sit at the lights not indicating then start indicating mid-way through making the turn - quite frustrating when you are behind them and not sure if they are going straight on or taking the left, etc.

Back
Top Bottom