DT990 pro cable replacement?

Soldato
One thing that’s always annoyed me with these headphones is the coiled cable you get.

Any alternatives or maybe an extension so I can have the cable coming under my desk?

Soldato
Replacing a headphone cable isn't difficult, but you'd need to be relatively competent with a soldering iron.

You can add an extension cable, so the cable can run where you want, but you'd still be stuck with a coiled cable. I'm not a fan of coiled cables either. Shame Beyerdynamic doesn't offer a straight cable version of the DT990 like they do with the DT770.

If you're pretty confident with doing a DIY job, then you could either fit a straight cable, or fit a 3.5mm socket to the headphones, which would allow you to change between any length of cable you like. I can see pictures from people who have done that with DT9900/770 after doing a search. That would probably be more useful if you wanted to use the headphones elsewhere as well and didn't want a 3m cable.

I suppose it depends on whether you can achieve what you want by adding an extension cable and how confident you are with doing a DIY job, if you want to be rid of the coiled cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Beyerdynamic sells cables as spare parts.

Shame Beyerdynamic doesn't offer a straight cable version of the DT990 like they do with the DT770.
Straight cable version is called Edition (or Premium) and now TYGR 300 R is DT990's "gaming" version with 1,6m straight cable.

Back
Top Bottom