What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Enola Holmes - A mostly lighthearted and fun (albeit slightly drawn out) ‘family mystery‘ romp.

I feel it unintentionally suffers for having plot points that perhaps by coincidence tie into the SJW stuff that is really, really tired at the moment. Not really a fault of this specific film... sadly I think any film about a young women finding herself in the Victorian era is going to feel a bit tired at the moment!! But it did go against this somewhat with the ‘mum subplot’.

I found myself a little frustrated that the ‘mum subplot’ alluded to a bombastic finale but it just sort of ended? Either reserving stuff for a second film or there was a budget cut. I can’t be alone in feeling that way.

6/10

yeh i watched this the other day. It was ok. Geared a bit more towards children/teenagers i think, but was sort of watchable.

Not sure Henry was the right pick for Sherlock. It did look a bit ridiculous having a ridiculously jacked Sherlock Holmes, and he appeared to be playing a slightly softer version of the Witcher, character wise :p.

I would say 5/10 personally.

Associate
The Omen (1976) - The acting is superb in this , had forgotten how good it was actually. Everyone brought their A game and what a cast we have - Gregory Peck (in an oscar worthy performance) , Lee Remick , Billy Whitelaw , David Warner and Patrick Troughton. Not to mention how creepy Damien is played by the young Harvey Stephens. Great direction from Richard Donner and an oscar winning score from Jerry Goldsmith.

A film that has actually aged really well.

9/10

Soldato
The Gentlemen - 5/10

A decent story but Guy Ritchie has obviously gone so Hollywood he can't hear a real accent to save his life. Half of them were plain awful. Seemed like a caricature of his old movies. I agree with Kermode. Shame.

Man of Honour
Went to our local Odeon yesterday to watch Tenent, which if it hadn't been for vouchers we get from our current account, would cost an eyewatering £27 for two people plus £2.20 to park.

Anyway the film was pretty good, if a little hard to follow at times. Overall I got the gist of what was going on, but there were loads of times when I was questioning why the characters were where they were and why. The sound mixing didn't help either with dialogue frequently drowned out or muffled by masks.

Like a lot of people I need to watch it again at some point.

Not one of Nolan's best, but better than most of the Hollywood super hero churn we've been bombarded with for years.

A solid 7/10

Associate
The Matador

Comedy crime thriller

Pearce Brosnan plays a contract killer facing life issues as he enters closer to retirement

Very good film watched this again after seeing back at release in 2005 such a contrasting, daring and entertaining role for him to play after the bond movies.

8/10

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Gentleman

8/10

Really enjoyed it. Thought it was very entertaining.

I don't get some of the reviews. They seem to be trying to make out that it was supposed to be more than just a ridiculously camp and over the top gangster caper...:confused:

Hugh Grant was excellent. Very unsettling to see him play such a different character to what he normally plays :D

Soldato
Edge of Darkness - 2010

Adaptation of the 80s BBC drama with a number of scenes directly translated and nodded to. In the era of the Taken style films I always thought this one had more solid writing and some gritty set pieces. It had 55% on Rotten Tomatoes and not much love. I thought I would give it another go as I liked it first time around in 2010 and still really enjoyed it for what it was now. Mel Gibson's Boston accent is a bit odd is my only gripe.

The BBC drama is well worth a watch to compare and contrast.

7/10

Soldato
Avengement - OTT violence/10

A bit of a cross between a guy ritchie movie and brawl on cell block 99. A man ends up in prison with a price on his head. Every day is a fight for survival, gloriously and unapologetically over the top fight scenes and violence with a cheeky london Guy Ritchie undertone.

Man of Honour
Le Mans 66 (also known as Ford vs Ferrari)
7/10
It was OK. Not the amazing film many said it was when it was released. Entertaining enough though.

Soldato
The Gentleman - 8/10 pretty entertaining. Certainly one of his better films. A bit silly but done with a degree of style and charm. I though Colin Farrell was pretty good and compared to the last few Charlie Hunnan films this was very good performance. Hugh Grant's character was amusingly silly and the premise of him reciting the story worked well for me. Solidly entertaining.

Soldato
I don't get some of the reviews. They seem to be trying to make out that it was supposed to be more than just a ridiculously camp and over the top gangster caper...:confused:
You put it next to Snatch or Lock Stock and it's night and day though. They were almost realistic, slightly gritty portrayals of a rather real London with some great dark comedy in. The Gentlemen was like Guy Ritchie climbed down from his mansion in the Hollywood hills for 6 weeks to knock together something he thought the Americans would like. It was entertaining enough, but not a spot on his previous.

Associate
Netflix: American Murder documentary was garbage. Hated all the social media stuff & at times felt voyeuristic when they put all her personal text messages to her friend on screen. I found this channel a lot more engaging on the same subject

Back
Top Bottom