When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
New UK car registrations fell 4.4% in September from a year earlier, not in a hurry so let's see what happens to car prices over the next few months as the economic fallout of COVID really starts to bite with the end of furlough etc.

Soldato
New UK car registrations fell 4.4% in September from a year earlier, not in a hurry so let's see what happens to car prices over the next few months as the economic fallout of COVID really starts to bite with the end of furlough etc.
I got a new car end of August and big discounts were already available, so should continue for a while?

Soldato
Sure, but that's starting from a low base, I can't see Q4 2020 / Q1 2021 being a stellar your for 50K BEVs ;)

I'm confused, PHEV/BEV cars sales are up, the others are down. People are buying less new cars, but more of them are moving to PHEV/BEV, so in a difficult market where the cars are more expensive then that is pretty impressive. Or do you think otherwise? :)

Soldato
I'm confused, PHEV/BEV cars sales are up, the others are down. People are buying less new cars, but more of them are moving to PHEV/BEV, so in a difficult market where the cars are more expensive then that is pretty impressive. Or do you think otherwise? :)

No I think it's a decent increase, do you think COVID will have no impact on the sales of 50K BEVs and it will carry on regardless?

For many the major financial impact of COVID hasn't hit their wallets yet due to furlough, that will be in Q4 2020.

Soldato
No I think it's a decent increase, do you think COVID will have no impact on the sales of 50K BEVs and it will carry on regardless?

BEV sales will continue to sell better every single year regardless of COVID19, the fact they have done so already, and the fact that there are more models on the market now, and will be nearly twice as many by this time next year.

Do you honestly think they will decrease? They are replacing ICE whether you like it or not, and given the fact the 21k sold this month was only 6.7% of the total cars sold, I'd say next year that will be at least 10% for September, maybe even 15%. :)

Soldato
You do have a very confrontational posting style "I'm confused", "Do you honestly think" .. I'm just trying to have a friendly discussion not get involved in an argument .. I think I'll just leave it, sheesh!

Mike Hawes, SMMT Chief Executive, said, 

During a torrid year, the automotive industry has demonstrated incredible resilience, but this is not a recovery. Despite the boost of a new registration plate, new model introductions and attractive offers, this is still the poorest September since the two-plate system was introduced in 1999. Unless the pandemic is controlled and economy-wide consumer and business confidence rebuilt, the short-term future looks very challenging indeed.

Soldato
BEV and PHEV sales will likely continue to grow, not just from demand but also from the desire of manufacturers to hit their CO2 targets. These vehicles qualify for super-credits and are critical to achieving targets in many cases. I believe it's primarily why there are such good deals on vehicles like the Audi E-Tron and Jaguar i-Pace.

Of course, no-one can predict the future on this stuff (although I have to, it's my job), but a rise in BEV/PHEV mix is very much expected.

Soldato
You do have a very confrontational posting style "I'm confused", "Do you honestly think" .. I'm just trying to have a friendly discussion not get involved in an argument .. I think I'll just leave it, sheesh!

I ask a question and you think that is confrontational, you posted some information not relating to the sale of Electric cars being effected, but the entire opposite, and I challenged you on what your opinion was, and why. I then stated BEV/PHEV's were doing much better YoY and will continue to do so.

Sorry for trying to get the facts straight, just because ICE sales are down this doesn't effect BEV's anywhere near as much as you are trying to make out. Should have posted a :rolleyes: rather than a :) then you would have been happy! ;)

Soldato
I ask a question and you think that is confrontational, you posted some information not relating to the sale of Electric cars being effected, but the entire opposite, and I challenged you on what your opinion was, and why. I then stated BEV/PHEV's were doing much better YoY and will continue to do so.

Sorry for trying to get the facts straight, just because ICE sales are down this doesn't effect BEV's anywhere near as much as you are trying to make out. Should have posted a :rolleyes: rather than a :) then you would have been happy! ;)

"I challenged you", I think you need to calm down dear. I was just in here for some idle chit chat not get cross examined, obviously your used to talking down to people well done.

Soldato
I think you need to calm down dear, I was just in here for some idle chit chat not get cross examined, obviously your used to talking down to people well done.

Lol, dear. How is asking you to confirm your option talking down to you? If you are going to post something and expect chit chat, that is exactly what it was, but you chose to take it as an argument for some weird reason.

As you said, leaving it here. Not going to be belittled and insulted by someone for asking a question.

Soldato
Lol, dear. How is asking you to confirm your option talking down to you? If you are going to post something and expect chit chat, that is exactly what it was, but you chose to take it as an argument for some weird reason.

As you said, leaving it here. Not going to be belittled and insulted by someone for asking a question.

If you had removed "I'm confused", "Do you honestly think", "I challenged you", "trying to get the facts straight" etc your post would have had exactly the same meaning but would have been far left confrontational. (didn't really feel like chit-chat!)

I'm sorry that the word "dear" made you feel "belittled and insulted", can you not see how your phrasing may have also been received negatively?

Soldato
BEV sales will continue to sell better every single year regardless of COVID19, the fact they have done so already, and the fact that there are more models on the market now, and will be nearly twice as many by this time next year.

Do you honestly think they will decrease? They are replacing ICE whether you like it or not, and given the fact the 21k sold this month was only 6.7% of the total cars sold, I'd say next year that will be at least 10% for September, maybe even 15%. :)

I actually think BEV sales will be hit more by COVID than ICE. A lot of people will be WFH more (particularly those in the kind of jobs which allow you to afford a new car!), meaning the fuel savings from commuting aren't going to be there. BEV prices will have to drop significantly (e.g. close to ICE parity) for them to remain competitive.

Soldato
Love how you try changing the subject about a discussion on car sales, to how you feel about being asked a few questions, pretty sure this is a discussion forum for BEV's and such. Lets keep it to that huh?

Soldato
I actually think BEV sales will be hit more by COVID than ICE. A lot of people will be WFH more (particularly those in the kind of jobs which allow you to afford a new car!), meaning the fuel savings from commuting aren't going to be there. BEV prices will have to drop significantly (e.g. close to ICE parity) for them to remain competitive.

I think that certainly a possible, I was looking at a Polestar 2 but what's the point when my commute has gone from 200+ miles per week to basically zero. If I do need a car I'm not going to making very big savings in fuel costs, while it wasn't the only factor for the purchase it certainly contributed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Love how you try changing the subject about a discussion on car sales, to how you feel about being asked a few questions, pretty sure this is a discussion forum for BEV's and such. Lets keep it to that huh?

I will de-escalate as you don't appear to want to, you were right and I was wrong, I apologize if you felt "belittled and insulted".

Caporegime
He’s always like this. Thinks ICE car drivers are stupid.

I think BEV sales are certainly being helped by BIK and the self employed or schemes like NHS. The rest of the car market is pretty dead as the numbers suggest.

Back
Top Bottom