New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
Mine does, but I'm not really fussed, bloody good monitor and iOS glow was something to be expected with such monitor so expectations set. Just need to make sure calibrated and HDR set up properly.

Associate
Mine does, but I'm not really fussed, bloody good monitor and iOS glow was something to be expected with such monitor so expectations set. Just need to make sure calibrated and HDR set up properly.

Ye that it true alright, though still wish we didn't have to deal with these quality control issues ;/

This is my best attempt to show the IPS glow I have, still slightly exaggerated but is visible in bottom left. My feeling is this is within the expected range?

JnJHF6E.jpg

I currently have HDR off, is there a consensus if it should be on (and what option)?

Soldato
Ye that it true alright, though still wish we didn't have to deal with these quality control issues ;/

This is my best attempt to show the IPS glow I have, still slightly exaggerated but is visible in bottom left. My feeling is this is within the expected range?

JnJHF6E.jpg

I currently have HDR off, is there a consensus if it should be on (and what option)?
That's not a quality control issue - that's what an IPS panel does.

JnJHF6E.jpg

Looks fine to me. Mine is similar. I questioned it to begin with, but tweaked the brightness, etc, and in a reasonably lit room, it is absolutely fine. I just know that if I return mine I will get a worse panel...

Associate
I haven’t used a free sync/gsync monitor before, with this if your game is running at more than 165fps will you get screen tearing?

Associate
Yes, you need to run below 165hz. I set a frame cap of 163.

Ah thanks, would every game tear badly if you run > 165fps? I have a few oldish games I need to run at very high fps (i.e. > 400fps, there's a specific reason so I definitely can't cap) at the moment I'm running on an old U2719D 60hz (vsync off) and don't notice any distracting tearing, would the S2721DGF actually have worse tearing for this specific use?

Soldato
Ah thanks, would every game tear badly if you run > 165fps? I have a few oldish games I need to run at very high fps (i.e. > 400fps, there's a specific reason so I definitely can't cap) at the moment I'm running on an old U2719D 60hz (vsync off) and don't notice any distracting tearing, would the S2721DGF actually have worse tearing for this specific use?

It may be the same, but you definitely don't get the benefit of Gsync at those rates. You could try fast sync if it's a Nvidia GPU.

Is that set per-game or in the Nvidia control panel?

I use Rivatuner and set a global cap of 163. Some games would need a different cap like 120 or 60 and for them you can set a cap per game basis.

Back
Top Bottom