Golf Thread

Permabanned
lol Bryson's going to die of kidney failure and not having a dump for a month at the rate he's going with his protein intake, so the problem kinda solves itself. :p

Was a shame to see Matthew Wolff collapse in on himself as he seems like a nice guy, but he's only just turned pro and it's only his second major so not the end of the world.

Soldato
Curbing the ball development? Club face etc - Not sure that is the answer really either. Otherwise we end up with drivers/irons/balls for pro's and others for amateur's - And the whole point is people love to use the clubs/drivers that the pro's use. (Also can't think of another sport that there is different equipment regulations for pro/amateur's )

Tennis - special balls for Wimbledon to slow down the serves
Baseball - pros have to use wooden bats

I'm sure there are others.

Soldato
Well very interesting session this morning at https://www.pureforged.co.uk/

Trackman session was super interesting and Jamie knows his stuff inside out.

Started out hitting my own 7 iron (Ping G10 awt stiff shaft) - Right away he was concerned about the height/spin rate. Ball really climbs high, probably 20/25 ft to high so loosing distance but also in a wind I would go nowhere.

Averages - 7 iron
Ball speed - 112.6mph
Club Speed - 89mph
Spin Rate - 7800
Carry 146 yards/Total 148yards (almost no roll out since the ball is coming down very steep)

Played around with some shafts/heads and settled on a Honma Tr20 head with a X 105 modus shaft.

What a difference

Averages - 7iron
Ball speed - 119mph
Club Speed - 93.5mph
Spin Rate - 6761
Carry 163 yards/Total 167 yards

Very consistent across the 20 shots in terms of even the misses.

Unreal difference - I actually felt like I could "feel" where the clubhead was during my swing.

Club probably needs to be 1/2" longer and then slightly flatter (as I'm 6ft 3).

Great session - lots to think about. No pressure at all to buy/sell clubs. Good chat with him during the session - Full report sent to me with all the details/numbers etc.

All for £50 - bargain.

Associate
Got to love a fit, what a difference they can make even if your swing is not the greatest (like mine)
I get my clubs back tomorrow with new shafts - very excited to take them out for a proper range session. Naturally I will go for a round of golf first and hate it.

Honma clubs are gorgeous and was a potential winner on my fit.

Soldato
Hit a ball off a tee the other day and pushed it into the trees on the right. It went into the branches hanging over the lught rough and I saw it drop and land, so thought phew, bit of luck. When I got there it wasn't my ball lol seems there must have been a ball stuck in one of the branches which I knocked loose. Was able to get over the fence and retrieve my ball. Have definitely had some weird things happen on the course!

Soldato
Whereabouts are you in the U.K.? That’s pretty standard for around here for a monthly sub. It’s the joining fees that worry me.

The course I dream of joining is a 6k joining fee and 2k per annum subs. That’s a lot of money but it’s such a great track

Great score though

2k fees is pretty ridiculous, but 6k joining fee???

Soldato
Think I'm moving courses after Xmas, getting fed up of struggling to get a t time. Like today the driving range was fully booked. Managed to get 30 minutes of chipping in. Went to use the practise nets but they're not brilliantly fitted so I lost a couple of balls that went through and into the field behind. I have 3 courses closer than my current one but they're not as good quality. One is a links courses which I like but obviously has some wind issues haha thats got an introductory rate of 490 for a year so a fair bit cheaper, course is about 10 mins away. There's one I use for my lessons which is about 2 mins away, it struggles a bit in the winter though. There's a 10 hole but 18 t course about 10 mins away which is cheap but obviously has less holes. Only the one I'm currently at which is about 20 mins drive has a driving range though. Decisions decisions

Soldato
What a day for golf!! Beautiful - Sun splitting the sky....

Very decent round of 79 today. Front 9 is playing very difficult as it's so wet under foot I was struggling to hit pitches/2nd shots without just chunking the ball.

Back 9 much better - birdied 3 of the last 5 (eagle putts on 2 of them) - Nice to finish with a birdie as well.

Driver was on point today bar a single poor tee shot. 286 yards down the first and plugged - would have loved to seen how far it would have gone in the summertime!

Soldato
Had my first lesson today, was very informative. My normal swing was 5-7 degrees in to out and with my poor club face control, most of the time severe hook shots were the result. The Pro had me on GC2 quad, awesome bit of kit btw! And tried focussing on starting off trying to hit as high an out to in path as possible, but could only get it to about 5 degrees out to in, just to let me feel how to take my swing. But having a more out to in path did help my spin rates. With my 7 iron on my 5degree in to out, it was going 175ish with fairly low spin, 2000-3000ish but very off line, like wild hook off line. When hitting more out to in, it wasn't going as far but it felt cleaner hit and spin rates were getting up to 6000 ish and it was going about 150.

Anyone new to the game, definitely get yourself on a lesson! Was a bit help seeing numbers and videos.

Soldato
I try getting at least a lesson a month being a high handicapper. I am seinf my game improve, It doesn't always come together but thats alright cor me I am not seeking to be a scratch golfer. With a change of grip I do tend to hit right a bit but that should come in with time.
If you can get one with the new trackman makes the gc quad look bang average
Not sure how I did it but on a par 3 I hit a ball about 2feet away from the pin and it almost just went sideways once it landed. In the sense that I left a rather hefty pitch mark in the green and the stoped directly to the left of it about 3 feet away from the divot. The shot looked incredibly straight and as it was an 8 iron was high. Usually if I land that near the hole I'm ended up pasy the hole

Associate
I’d invest in a series of lessons if you seriously want to get good. It’s a far better investment than a new driver or clubs.

A decent pro will give you one or two things to focus on each lesson, starting with significant swing faults. However, as soon as you begin to fix those, your previous swing compensations for those faults will create new issues - you’ll therefore have a series of things to work on over time.

Winter time is ideal as well - no real pressure to score when you get out on the course and more time down the range to practice!

Soldato
Had my first lesson today, was very informative. My normal swing was 5-7 degrees in to out and with my poor club face control, most of the time severe hook shots were the result. The Pro had me on GC2 quad, awesome bit of kit btw! And tried focussing on starting off trying to hit as high an out to in path as possible, but could only get it to about 5 degrees out to in, just to let me feel how to take my swing. But having a more out to in path did help my spin rates. With my 7 iron on my 5degree in to out, it was going 175ish with fairly low spin, 2000-3000ish but very off line, like wild hook off line. When hitting more out to in, it wasn't going as far but it felt cleaner hit and spin rates were getting up to 6000 ish and it was going about 150.

Anyone new to the game, definitely get yourself on a lesson! Was a bit help seeing numbers and videos.

Sounds awesome! I really need to get a lesson with GC2 as although I'm not unhappy with my swing too mucg, I'd love to know the data behind it. I definitely have issues with distance, probably due to strike as I come up short a lot.

Whereabouts did you go? I'm Manchester based but the clubs I usually play at seem to have pros with quite outdated methodology and I haven't come across one with GC2 yet.

Soldato
Sounds awesome! I really need to get a lesson with GC2 as although I'm not unhappy with my swing too mucg, I'd love to know the data behind it. I definitely have issues with distance, probably due to strike as I come up short a lot.

Whereabouts did you go? I'm Manchester based but the clubs I usually play at seem to have pros with quite outdated methodology and I haven't come across one with GC2 yet.

i play at Longridge currently, near Preston so might be a bit far away. The pro there used to be based in Garstang, but the golf club sold the land for housing, so he’s moved here. Tough for him, he’s much further away from where his teaching used to be so he’s left trying to build up his teaching from scratch.

Soldato
Just back from playing Gullane No2 and No3 over the weekend. Should have also been playing Goswick also but the weather was 'biblical' so the club were very accommodating in allowing us to move it to next year. Both Gullane courses were fantastic, the rough wasn't too penal as you didn't lose balls, but it was heavy enough to mean a hack out rather than playing a full shot. Greens were fast and true. Gutted though, i shot 80 round Gullane No2, dropped 4 shots against par on the last 2 holes, so was heading for a sub 80 round! :(

Soldato
Just back from playing Gullane No2 and No3 over the weekend. Should have also been playing Goswick also but the weather was 'biblical' so the club were very accommodating in allowing us to move it to next year. Both Gullane courses were fantastic, the rough wasn't too penal as you didn't lose balls, but it was heavy enough to mean a hack out rather than playing a full shot. Greens were fast and true. Gutted though, i shot 80 round Gullane No2, dropped 4 shots against par on the last 2 holes, so was heading for a sub 80 round! :(

Long time since I played them but always cracking courses....

Soldato
OP
What type of jackets/outer wear do you guys wear in winter? I only really have one jacket and it feels quite bulky and almost restricts my swing, I don’t like to play in it.

I need something warm/wind proof/showerproof and yet isn’t restrictive! Does such thing exist?

Permabanned
What type of jackets/outer wear do you guys wear in winter? I only really have one jacket and it feels quite bulky and almost restricts my swing, I don’t like to play in it.

I need something warm/wind proof/showerproof and yet isn’t restrictive! Does such thing exist?

I like the Galvin Green gear for waterproofs, but the less restrictive the item of clothing, the less warm/waterproof it's going to be!

Back
Top Bottom