When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I think that certainly a possible, I was looking at a Polestar 2 but what's the point when my commute has gone from 200+ miles per week to basically zero. If I do need a car I'm not going to making very big savings in fuel costs.

I've been seriously considering getting rid of the Zoe for this very reason, I'm basically paying for it to be sat on the drive depreciating at the moment (although quite slowly to be fair!) Trying to get work to commit to what their future plans are is proving difficult, but if they can confirm full time WFH then it's probably going to go. It was great when saving £250+/month in fuel and maintenance costs, but if we're only going to be doing 20-30 miles/week for the foreseeable future then ultimately it's just a massive waste of money!

Soldato
but if they can confirm full time WFH then it's probably going to go.

This has been confirmed by my employer, I won't have to return to the office. We're actually thinking about going from 2 cars to 1 as we're both WFH, even our social driving has hit the floor as we don't go anywhere ;)

I'm hoping to persuade the other half than a shared Polestar 2 is the way forward :) it's just that argument isn't helped by the fact we're doing so few miles even between us, for the amount we use a car atm we might as well call a taxi! (apart from they are revolting and always smell of sweat).

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
BEV sales have been choked ahead of this year so we’re limited regardless of public want. Now the EU credits are game on the availability has increased and allowed the fairly limited orders to be satisfied. Essentially the sales mirror the build slots for each country. If UK cars go from 150 to 300 then a 200% increase isn’t really fair. 500 preorders will give you that.

Many sales for Sept are likely to be pre Covid orders anyway, no rush to collect, dealers closed etc and people waiting for that 70 stamp on the plates... and then Tesla boat turning up tends to make any comparisons spikey.

Soldato
vw id3 uk sales breakout would be interesting too (too early ?) but, maybe we'll track norway and, there, polestars doing well ,
haven't recognised an id3 on the uk roads ,

Top BEV results already in our database:

• Volkswagen ID.3 - 1,989
  • Tesla Model 3 - 1,116 (total Tesla brand: 1,439, including 323 Model S/X)
  • Polestar 2 - 937
  • MG ZS EV - 672
  • Audi e-tron - 542

Guess we don't have same loyalty for jaguar as scandinavians for volvo too

Soldato
Yeah but that's 100% up from last September (when the Polestar hadn't been released ;) ) low volumes, low base, big percentages! :D
Well sales year to date, compared to last year car sales are down about 33% across the industry, except MG which is the only manufacturer to see an increase, and up 50%. That will be that electric model which Fox said no one was going to buy :p

Associate
I actually think BEV sales will be hit more by COVID than ICE. A lot of people will be WFH more (particularly those in the kind of jobs which allow you to afford a new car!), meaning the fuel savings from commuting aren't going to be there. BEV prices will have to drop significantly (e.g. close to ICE parity) for them to remain competitive.
I've been seriously considering getting rid of the Zoe for this very reason, I'm basically paying for it to be sat on the drive depreciating at the moment (although quite slowly to be fair!) Trying to get work to commit to what their future plans are is proving difficult, but if they can confirm full time WFH then it's probably going to go. It was great when saving £250+/month in fuel and maintenance costs, but if we're only going to be doing 20-30 miles/week for the foreseeable future then ultimately it's just a massive waste of money!

Pretty much where I am at the moment, gone from doing Bristol-maidenhead, to doing upstairs-downstairs :D not put fuel in the car since March/April time, almost put some in this weekend when doing a Hermes drop off but worried I might not finish a tank in another 6 months of lockdown and it could go off.

I test drove the P2 and M3as well as some hybrids etc all ready to commit having convinced myself fuel savings alone would pay for these pricey beasts ( not a company car and I pay for own fuel ) but actually the longer I hold off the greater the number of choices there will be, so will stick to not buying and see what to buy when the world starts again, assuming I still have a job and the next plague from China doesn't get me.

nam

nam

Soldato
Soldato
Best under what criteria, as, nam said ?

At M3LR, price point wouldn't you go polestar2, or for better value for money enyaq -
what ?, it's going to be 8K cheaper, vw platform, tech, service network;
I think it will be interesting if Tesla reduces their prices (brexit deal/no-deal aside) with the onslaught; tesla's gross-profit-margin at ~20%, they are making hay.

Soldato
Best under what criteria, as, nam said ?

At M3LR, price point wouldn't you go polestar2, or for better value for money enyaq -
what ?, it's going to be 8K cheaper, vw platform, tech, service network;
I think it will be interesting if Tesla reduces their prices (brexit deal/no-deal aside) with the onslaught; tesla's gross-profit-margin at ~20%, they are making hay.
Where are you going to charge your Polestar? May as well buy an e-Niro. Buying a Tesla isn't just about the car.

But, the Tesla M3 LR also comes out as the best price / range EV as well.

Soldato
The P2 has the same battery as a 3LR but it doesn’t get anything like the range in the real world and the charge network is a hot mess in this country. I agree the interior is far superior though and that makes it a tough decision.

Back
Top Bottom