LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
The HDMI 2.1 is only for the 3080 cards not for 2080 or lower but HDMI 2.1 cables are backward compatible

There's no difference between hdmi 2.0 and 2.1 cables.
However, if some cables are rated at 2.1 speeds and 'premium', some of them can be of better build quality, better connectors and larger solder points, stronger shielding etc. There's no real difference in the cables make up besides a bit more of this, a bit more of that...

Soldato
There's no difference between hdmi 2.0 and 2.1 cables.
However, if some cables are rated at 2.1 speeds and 'premium', some of them can be of better build quality, better connectors and larger solder points, stronger shielding etc. There's no real difference in the cables make up besides a bit more of this, a bit more of that...

For proper and correct HDMI 2.1 specification cables, you need to ensure you buy a HDMI "Ultra certified cable" > https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

If the cable doesn't have that logo on the actual cable, then it's not 100% certified. You'll get dodgy companies on amazon who'll just photoshop a image of the logo onto the product - perhaps it will work, who knows....

Best to be safe than sorry and get 100% certified cables with the "Ultra certified" logo. I had awful issues with Display Port cables, which were completely rectified when I bought an actual certified cable, was only a few £ more expensive too.

Associate
For proper and correct HDMI 2.1 specification cables, you need to ensure you buy a HDMI "Ultra certified cable" > https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

If the cable doesn't have that logo on the actual cable, then it's not 100% certified. You'll get dodgy companies on amazon who'll just photoshop a image of the logo onto the product - perhaps it will work, who knows....

Best to be safe than sorry and get 100% certified cables with the "Ultra certified" logo. I had awful issues with Display Port cables, which were completely rectified when I bought an actual certified cable, was only a few £ more expensive too.

Is there a particular certified cable/brand that people are buying that someone wouldn't mind linking me to please?

Taking a look around, there appears to be a lot of 2.1 cables that aren't certified or have certification 'coming soon' but they also have poor reviews... so not sure they are trust worthy.

Associate

Just to make my point, your current cable may work, but if you're running into trouble - you can do as @Dave2150 mentions, buy a certified cable. I've always used pretty cheap cables and haven't really had any obvious issues before.

If you're looking to splash the cash though, make sure you check who you're buying from is listed here:
https://www.hdmi.org/adopter/adoptersaffiliates

This will ensure they are following the 2.1 specs and have paid for the license to do so.
Looking on Amazon, the only one in the first page of hdmi cables is Belkin and their 2m cable costs £24

Permabanned
The HDMI 2.1 is only for the 3080 cards not for 2080 or lower but HDMI 2.1 cables are backward compatible
yes im planing to build a new gaming pc with the 48cx and getting a 3080 or 3090 once the tv arrives, and now im searching for a hdmi 2.1 cable, will the hdmi 2.1 fiber optic cable be usefull then the non fiber optics its much more expensive is thier anything gain using fiber optic?
or it doesnt matter? i'll be just using around 3meter or 5meter cable

Last edited:
Associate
yes im planing to build a new gaming pc with the 48cx and getting a 3080 or 3090 once the tv arrives, and now im searching for a hdmi 2.1 cable, will the hdmi 2.1 fiber optic cable be usefull then the non fiber optics its much more expensive is thier anything gain using fiber optic?
or it doesnt matter? i'll be just using around 3meter or 5meter cable

Good luck building your new PC.

When I got my CX55 from Curry's they want me to shell out another £150.00 for an HDMI 2.1 cable Austere VII Series Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable, there was no "Ultra certified" logo on it, just wording about the cable but because it was "Gold certified" it had a high price tag, In my opinion you never know what you are buy today because all the marketing online media "BS". Some time ago when 4K just came out Curry's would lower the colour, brightness on the other TV screens just to sale the 4k range for marketing and it was no just Curry's but online stores did the same thing also the online media did the same with images the world went crazy for 4K then, now lets talk about HDMI sometimes you read on Amazon or any other online stores say the same about the "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables" all have just different wording on it but have the same colour wires in the cable just with a fancy name to it like this.

Gold Advanced High Speed HDMI Cable
Premium High Speed HDMI Cable
Black Series High Speed HDMI Cable
Gold Series High Speed HDMI Cable
Gold Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable

So it makes it much harder to choose the right cable you think that works for you or go for an fancy name with a high price one. I paid just £24.00 for an HDMI 2.1 cable I have no picture lost, HDR, and HDR gaming problems, this cable is the same thickness of the £149.99 cable from Curry's but I save £126.00 I don't look at all the wording on the fancy box with gold wording they sale and most of the time it's just a fancy box that you will most likely you put in the bin.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else get oled brightness lowering, if you open your browser and have a white screen to scroll through?
The brightness dips down and stays down for quite some time, scrolling on it changes the brightness sometimes.
Very odd, can't find a settings to adjust that particular one.

The reason why it sometime dips is depending how high your brightness is and if you just leave it too long it will dip to stop a future burn in and I have an OLED and it don't stay down like you said my OLED light is 80 Contrast 75 Brightness 50 no problem

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered mine and selling these **** IPS g-sync panels off. Can update once here. I plan on using it like 4 1080p 24 inch monitors windowed for everything. Only fullscreen when reclining.

Soldato
Just to make my point, your current cable may work, but if you're running into trouble - you can do as @Dave2150 mentions, buy a certified cable. I've always used pretty cheap cables and haven't really had any obvious issues before.

If you're looking to splash the cash though, make sure you check who you're buying from is listed here:
https://www.hdmi.org/adopter/adoptersaffiliates

This will ensure they are following the 2.1 specs and have paid for the license to do so.
Looking on Amazon, the only one in the first page of hdmi cables is Belkin and their 2m cable costs £24

I did a bit more research on this. Currently there are NO official 'Ultra High Speed' cables available, as these are set to launch in Q4 2020 - so very soon. They'll be very recognisable by the Ultra high speed logo, QA code and branding.

I've personally ordered "KabelDirekt - Ultra HD Highspeed HDMI Cable - supports 120Hz at 4K UHD resolution, Dolby Vision, HDR10 & is suitable for PS4, XBOX - in 3 meters length, 1007" - as I've got their VESA officially certified 3M Display Port cable, and it's really well built, solid and not massively expensive. The HDMI 2.1 version appears to be just as good quality. 3M length is very nice for panels this big, as mine is further from my PC than a normal monitor.

I'm not sure when my 3090 will show up, though I want to be prepared and have one at hand, so I'll take the risk with this cable. If someone's not planning on getting a 3000 series (or big navi) card until next year though, I'd wait for the official cables.

Soldato
Perfect. Now that's a price worth paying for a premium set such as this.

Now the question is if JL will survive over the next 5 years lol.

The insurance is with domestic and general or such, not direct with john lewis so you are covered regardless. Just need them to get more stock back in now.

Associate
The insurance is with domestic and general or such, not direct with john lewis so you are covered regardless. Just need them to get more stock back in now.
Brilliant.

I'm hoping for a decent black Friday sale. The 48CX appears overpriced compared to the 55CX.

Associate
Is the fear of burn in overstated?

Does LG (or any other retailer for that matter) honour warranties despite burn in?

When "Rings.com" tested OLED burn in there OLED TV's was two - three years old,

Since then the clever people at LG find a fix to the problem on static logos on screen most like in games and watching News and sport programs with lots of static logos around the screen. The LG TV can identify when there's an element that's static, and gently lowers the brightness of the pixels with the logo on (on those in very close proximity). By toning down the logo, the likelihood of the image being burned in is massively lowered – super-simple, and promises to be super-effective. In LG's case, it wait for two minutes before it starts dimming, and then lowers the brightness by up to 20%, over the course of around 90 seconds. It then stays at the lower brightness. It doesn't affect your viewing experience at all, partly because it's a pretty subtle effect to the eye, but also because it's rare to pay any attention to the area around a logo anyway – even in games, your attention will mostly be elsewhere, and you'll only look for a glance at the information when needed.

This approach is being used by LG in its 2020 TVs, including the LG CX and LG GX, and will be used by Philips in future OLED TVs

to your second question
If you don't follow the LG owners manual and max out you OLED then you risk your burn in problem most people put OLED in a bright room then max out the brightness and turn off all the other picture functions, an OLED works best in a dark or low light rooms only. Samsung has a 10 year warranty on burn in but QLED is not OLED no where near the quality of an OLED panel

If you change the contend on the TV from games, movies, TV programs, online streaming, you lower the risk of burn in IMO;)

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OLED works best in a dark or low light rooms, not in bright lit rooms.

I used a 'Sanus VTVS1 stand' because it's all made of metal and not glass base like some, so I could put my 4KUHD player under the TV like in the image I also used a 'Soges adjustable lap table' but the table top was not long enough so had to use a 56x40cm half inch plywood board and screw it on the metal stand so I can move it, to put my keyboard and mouse plus microphone on and I didn't want to sit too close to an OLED in HDR when playing games, it would burn my eyes out

At first I was going to buy the CX48 but after seen the CX55 and the price differences so I got the 55 but if you have a small room then best to get a 48.

You will find all on Amazon hope it help you;)

The TV stand
Sanus VTVS1 Universal Swivel TV Stand for 32-60-Inch Screens - Black

The table
soges Adjustable Lap Table with Slot Mobile Laptop Computer Stand Bedside Table Portable Side Table for Bed Sofa,

HDMI cables
3M HDMI 2.1 Cable 48Gbps by True HQ | 8K Ultra High Speed PREMIUM Lead with Ethernet | 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz UHD HDCP 2.2 eARC | Dolby Vision Dynamic HDR PS5 Xbox Series X | Zinc Alloy & Gold

Extend cables
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (3 m )

Cheers much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom