New electric connection - is a smart meter mandatory?

Associate
I need a new electric meter installed for a new electric connection - are there any of the big six who will install a non-smart meter? All that I have called so far say that they have to install smart meters?

Soldato
If you can find a smaller company you might get away with not needing one fitted. I believe the big 6 are getting pressured from the government to step up smart meter rollout, so you'll likely find it impossible to get a big 6 supplier to fit a new meter without it being smart.

Associate
What have you got against smart meters?

They can and are being used to increase your prices dynamically on the fly and are just more ways to spy on you.
If the meters can be remotely hacked or a database from a supplier is compromised then it's a dataset for burglars to abuse.

It's no business of any company when I watch tv or take a shower.

Soldato

Except for your energy supplier who want to sell you the energy you are using?

I think it's more to do with the lack of what they provide to the end customer. They're only really of benefit to the energy supplier.

Accurate monthly billing without having to manually read the meter every month was fairly compelling.

They can and are being used to increase your prices dynamically on the fly

I am planning to investigate this when my fix ends next year. I believe the Octopus Agile tariff will save me money. Especially if I combine it with an electric car.

Soldato
Except for your energy supplier who want to sell you the energy you are using?

Accurate monthly billing without having to manually read the meter every month was fairly compelling.

I am planning to investigate this when my fix ends next year. I believe the Octopus Agile tariff will save me money. Especially if I combine it with an electric car.

Whilst true, it's not that much of a chore to have to manually read your meter. I think i'm on quarterly billing, so only have to provide a reading every 3 months. I would be all over a smart meter if they had an open API that you could actually make use of usage statistics like they have in the Netherlands. Unfortunately in the UK it's very much a closed system that only the energy supplier can read/access the data on the device.

Soldato
They can and are being used to increase and decrease your prices dynamically on the fly

FTFY, and only if you sign up for a tariff which includes that facility.

If the meters can be remotely hacked or a database from a supplier is compromised then it's a dataset for burglars to abuse.

I'll give you that one, but unless you are completely off the grid in terms of internet devices, then your electricity usage is way down the scale in terms of "usefulness" to a burglar compared to location services, browser history and social media etc.

I'm so sorry to break it to you, I know it's a difficult thing to comprehend in these days of narcissistic social media presence, but you really aren't that special, and your electricity company really couldn't give a **** when you take a shower or watch tv :p

Associate
Whilst true, it's not that much of a chore to have to manually read your meter. I think i'm on quarterly billing, so only have to provide a reading every 3 months. I would be all over a smart meter if they had an open API that you could actually make use of usage statistics like they have in the Netherlands. Unfortunately in the UK it's very much a closed system that only the energy supplier can read/access the data on the device.

Octopus energy have an open API. They offer 30min prices also. Have saved us 32% against the standard tariff so far. All we have had to do is make sure we program the washing machine for the cheapest time of the day and not use the electric shower between 4pm and 8pm. It won't work for everybody, but its been great for us!

They can also give you (and me) £50 to switch..... let me know if you want the code ;)

Associate
I'm so sorry to break it to you, I know it's a difficult thing to comprehend in these days of narcissistic social media presence, but you really aren't that special, and your electricity company really couldn't give a **** when you take a shower or watch tv :p

Edit 2: Removed personal information.

You're rows on a database, nobody has to care about you to find you in a select query.
The times and dates of energy usage, when they inevitably get stolen and uploaded to a tor site, will be a burglars wet dream.
Optimal times to rob your house, feel free to love it, that's your choice.

The energy company will benefit from your and others data for predictive analysis.
How good is their security, will they share that data to others in the same shell corporation?
Do they truly comply with privacy by design or use your data in dev and OAT environments?
Will foreign contractors see your unobfuscated records in test data, is the data stored in the UK?

I'm a professional in this field and ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Associate
Do you drive to work? Take the same route everyday? Do you check to see who is on your street when you’re going to leave for work?

If I wanted to rob somwhere it wouldn’t be based on a persons energy usage. I would watch the house. Look for cameras, listen for dogs and an alarm setting noise when you leave the house. I’d look for specific locks on your doors. Just because you shower at 8am each doesn’t mean jack.

so yeah, wouldn’t worry too much about your usage figures.

Associate
Quotinghttps://smarterbusiness.co.uk/blogs/is-it-compulsory-to-have-a-smart-meter-installed/

Is it compulsory to have a smart meter installed?

New government requirements have commissioned energy companies to install smart meters in business premises and domestic homes by 2019 – but this is only if a smart meter is wanted by the household or business. The government requires that smart meters are offered by energy suppliers to all small businesses and homes, but smart meters are not a legal requirement, therefore it’s not compulsory to have a smart meter installed.

However, having a smart meter at your premises is likely to become the norm in years to come.

Back
Top Bottom