*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Looks interesting. What & where is that?

I've been sightseeing on the Matariki Tiki-Tour and seem some sights including a black hole, which was weird! https://www.matarikitikitour.com/points-of-interest

It's a white dwarf or neutron star, they are actually fairly common and can be used to supercharge your FSD for extra long hyperspace jumps. They are also retina burning bright in VR lol.

Soldato
I thought 2021?

Yes, 2021 for Odyssey, but the Horizons DLC which has been available for years is getting rolled into the base game on the 27th so everybody has access.

I have a sneaky suspicion after viewing the vid that Odyssey is going to be available as a standalone too, seems like you could happily play it without ever needing a ship or any access to the current game.

Soldato
Yes, 2021 for Odyssey, but the Horizons DLC which has been available for years is getting rolled into the base game on the 27th so everybody has access.

I have a sneaky suspicion after viewing the vid that Odyssey is going to be available as a standalone too, seems like you could happily play it without ever needing a ship or any access to the current game.
Well you need a ship to get to a station and planet lol

Soldato

Out of the activities touted I would imagine that exploration using the NMS scanner gizmo will need you to travel to uncharted planets under your own steam in a ship. But yeah, from what they have revealed so far, everything else could easily be instanced outside of the main game, other than exploration, though I doubt it will be packaged an as entirely separate purchase not needing the the combined ED+Horizons. As D2EA said on his stream last night, they probably want everyone on ED+Horizons as of 27th October so they can maximise the player base for the first beta test of Odyssey, probably later this year or early next next, to do their stress test, as well as also maximizing those that would then go on to buy it.

Soldato

when you say rolled into the base game, does that mean that anyone who has the base game will get access to all the Horizon DLC for free?

Associate
Out of the activities touted I would imagine that exploration using the NMS scanner gizmo will need you to travel to uncharted planets under your own steam in a ship.
I'm imagining you could request transportation to a certain planet in a certain system, unexplored or not. Then it would be made available as a passenger mission to a player with a ship. If a player doesn't take it then an NPC ship would take you to your destination. Unexplored or low security planets would have course cost lots more to get to.

Soldato
I keep trying to get into and enjoy this but I just can't grasp the piloting to begin with. Does a stick make it any easier?
That's a difficult one to answer, I'd personally say yes but then it's quite well known that many people use mouse and keyboard very successfully, it's even preferred for PvP I hear. Are you just jumping straight in or are you doing the training missions to learn?

Associate
I keep trying to get into and enjoy this but I just can't grasp the piloting to begin with. Does a stick make it any easier?

I play using mouse and keyboard, I'm just approaching 200hrs of gameplay and I'd like to think I've sussed out 90% of the keybindings.

It took a good 2 hours or so to get to grips with piloting but i find it fairly straight forward now.

Someday id like to try flying Stick but for now im happy button bashing.

Associate
That's a difficult one to answer, I'd personally say yes but then it's quite well known that many people use mouse and keyboard very successfully, it's even preferred for PvP I hear. Are you just jumping straight in or are you doing the training missions to learn?
I mean, I'd like to say yes to missions plural but I can't even manage the basic controls one

Back
Top Bottom