**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
The pixel IMO straight up proves that what really matters is the image processing. So basically, @mrk, how much better is gcam on the snapdragon variants of Samsung phones?

Gcam good but the highlight detail is more natural on Samsung camera's HDR. I have HDR+ Enhanced turned on with 15 frames captured and even still Samsung cam grabs more natural looking highlights in stuff at night like spotlights and stuff. Maybe it works better on a Pixel for obvious reasons but I use Samsung cam the most.

Soldato
Gcam good but the highlight detail is more natural on Samsung camera's HDR. I have HDR+ Enhanced turned on with 15 frames captured and even still Samsung cam grabs more natural looking highlights in stuff at night like spotlights and stuff. Maybe it works better on a Pixel for obvious reasons but I use Samsung cam the most.

Interesting. Where I feel my Note 10+ fails the most is in low light and indoor shots.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I always leave HDR mode set to On instead of auto, and in really low light shots I use night shot. The results are great. Also keep in mind both ultra wide and telephoto lenses have inferior sensors to the primary shooter so always use primary when shooting low light.

Here's a low light example to show what I mean. Both shots taken with a tap to meter reading off the display on the amp to bypass any auto metering. Gcam set with HDR+ Enhanced (15 frames), Samsung cam set to HDR: On.

Gcam:
Gcam_IMG_20201004_225206.jpg

Scam:
Scam_20201004_225155.jpg

Notice retention of highlight detail on the monitor on Scam The Gcam one is slightly grainier but retains more detail as a result, the Scam one uses slightly more noise reduction so is slightly softer but not too much in it really. Samsung cam also pulls out a bit more shadow detail.

Soldato
That's my biggest issue with Scam I think - they tend to use Korean 'beautification' filters (aka smoothing) on everything. Not noticeable during the day shots but in low light it can get... awful. I've always heard the Exynos SoC has worse camera performance than the snapdragon, too.

Thanks for the comparison though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Yes but it's nowhere near as good as with Samsung cam or any other OEM cam app. Google Pixels have never been known for their video recording abilities and that doesn't change with even the Pixel 5.

Soldato
Well FE arrived today, only really getting to play with it now after setting up late this afternoon. First impressions are very good. Hole punch (although comparatively small) is a little larger than I imagined. The red colour is very nice and the screen is excellent. And I have to say that personally plastic finish on the rear doesn't take away from the feeling of the phone whatsoever. Its every bit as "premium" as my 7T Pro.
I haven't encountered any real issues yet bar one with the fingerprint scanner. Is it a Samsung thing or a device "limitation" as to why I can only register three separate digits? I usually register both thumbs and index fingers however it seems to max out at three.

Soldato
Ok so I tried my best to take some comparison photos. You have to appreciate these are between the FE and my OnePlus 7T Pro so it's not exactly a comparison with a big hitter but hopefully it gives an idea.

https://imgur.com/9Rl0RQy
https://imgur.com/w0dFgPW
https://imgur.com/k2JY1SR
https://imgur.com/yKbkuyE
https://imgur.com/yShJ6Fe
https://imgur.com/CSGRPsi

Apologies but I only rarely upload photos here and I can't for the life of me remember how embed them in the post.

I'll let you know which is which (if you can't figure it out) later :p
script>

9Rl0RQy

Last edited:
Soldato
On the FE, can anyone recommend the best place to purchase the 25w charger that I can be 100% it'll be a genuine one? Even Amazon seems to be hit and miss going on the reviews.
It seems to be on offer for £17 at MyMemory which have been fine for SD cards in the past for me.

Soldato
On the FE, can anyone recommend the best place to purchase the 25w charger that I can be 100% it'll be a genuine one? Even Amazon seems to be hit and miss going on the reviews.
It seems to be on offer for £17 at MyMemory which have been fine for SD cards in the past for me.

If you buy from them and ensure you're actually buying from them not marketplace it'll be fine.

There's always the samsung website if you want to be 10000% sure.

Soldato
I picked an adapter up on Amazon in the end. They were charging £22 but I discovered i still had a £5 voucher so was happy to buy at £17 - half of what Samsung are charging.
I am mightily impressed by it too. I ran the phone down to 0 and it reached 100% in 1h5mins. This is the same as my 7T Pro however considering this is 25w vs 30w and has almost 500mah more I think that's darned good.

Bought an s20 for my GF but having a real trouble finding a screen protector for it, bought two different ones from Amazon but they don't stick to the screen properly, the only sticky part is around the frame and finger print area leaving an air gap between the panel and screen, you don't see the adhesive spread like a conventional glass protector, also it had a round circle on the screen where your finger goes, what on earth is that for?

Honestly I really don't see the benefit of under screen finger print readers at all..

Is there a company you can send your phone away and have a TPU one professionally applied?

Soldato
The joys of curved screens :D
Honestly IMO screens protectors are the devil. Yes they serve one (significant) purpose but the drawbacks far outweigh this for me.
They never feel as good to the touch, generally interfere with overall operation and are an absolute nuisance for gestures.
They also tend to make the display look sub par.

Back
Top Bottom