• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I haven't seen any confirmation from AMD that RDNA 3 will be MCM / chiplet based designs. I'm not sure how anyone could know that at this point. They would take longer to design and test for one thing.

I think it's much more likely to be single GPU designs @ 5nm.

No mention of RDNA 4 yet either...

Unless someone has come up with some hardware magic we should be seeing other changes at least a year possibly as much as 3 years before true multi-chip designs appear for gaming GPUs i.e. more stuff along the lines of hardware accelerated scheduling appearing in Windows updates, etc. again it is possible someone has made some major breakthroughs at hardware level but a pretty safe bet IMO that we are at least a year from non-monolithic designs.

Soldato
This guy....

"What are my projections for big Navi? 20 to 40% better than a 5700XT" and 2 minutes later he says "big Navi will challenge the 3080"

What is wrong with this guy? there is a big difference between 20 to 40% better than a 5700XT and challenging the 3080, about a 50% difference, yet again what he's doing is telling his audience every concealable scenario right across the full breadth of the spectrum so that no matter what happens he can say "Told you so"
If its much slower than the 3080 he can say "well i told you it would be 20 to 40% better than a 5700XT" but if it anywhere in a broad spectrum of the 3080 he can say "Well i told you it would challenge the 3080"

And 5 minutes before this he told his Discord members to stop asking "for exact numbers" they are asking this because to them he is flip-flopping all over the place, in fact what he's doing is as i said saying everything conceivable.

This guy knows nothing, he's making it all up, he's full of crap.

https://youtu.be/TXUT5SINNQ4?t=1470

If I could give this post thumbs up I would. Most of these tech channels are just "fake made up gossip" for views and hype.

He contradicts himself few seconds later lol

Man of Honour
If I could give this post thumbs up I would. Most of these tech channels are just "fake made up gossip" for views and hype.

He contradicts himself few seconds later lol

I would say pretty much all of them are. It isn't like 10+ years ago where for instance game designers would have good knowledge of upcoming GPUs weeks or months before launch, etc. now for the most part people down the line are locked out of all but information specific to what they are doing and often there is heavy "watermarking" used to identify leaks and so on.

I know actual people working in these industries to talk to and while I have zero inside knowledge on what is coming on the AMD side and only limited information on the nVidia side they've rubbished 99% of the leaks out there so far.

Soldato
I would say pretty much all of them are. It isn't like 10+ years ago where for instance game designers would have good knowledge of upcoming GPUs weeks or months before launch, etc. now for the most part people down the line are locked out of all but information specific to what they are doing and often there is heavy "watermarking" used to identify leaks and so on.

I know actual people working in these industries to talk to and while I have zero inside knowledge on what is coming on the AMD side and only limited information on the nVidia side they've rubbished 99% of the leaks out there so far.

The ampere launch has showed that while leaks can occur they can easily miss crucial details or interpret them incorrectly and we can still be surprised by launch day announcements. I must have read a hundred leaks about Nvidia in the two weeks prior to Ampere and none of them knew about the 2x Cuda cores and so at announcement everyone was surprised by the numbers even though these leakers had been getting fed with details from the industry which all turned out to be too incomplete to be useful.

It's as you said, the way the flow of info is controlled now is by separating the product into silos - no one gets to see the final product until the end, heck, the team writing drivers have to do it by simulating what a new gpu could be because they don't get the gpu until the end and the CEO and Board decide pricing minutes before the announcement. And then while AIBs have to get the final GPU product they can't even properly test it because they don't get sent any drivers lol

Associate
The ampere launch has showed that while leaks can occur they can easily miss crucial details or interpret them incorrectly and we can still be surprised by launch day announcements. I must have read a hundred leaks about Nvidia in the two weeks prior to Ampere and none of them knew about the 2x Cuda cores and so at announcement everyone was surprised by the numbers even though these leakers had been getting fed with details from the industry which all turned out to be too incomplete to be useful.

It's as you said, the way the flow of info is controlled now is by separating the product into silos - no one gets to see the final product until the end, heck, the team writing drivers have to do it by simulating what a new gpu could be because they don't get the gpu until the end and the CEO and Board decide pricing minutes before the announcement. And then while AIBs have to get the final GPU product they can't even properly test it because they don't get sent any drivers lol

@kopite7kimi was correct on everything about Ampere, even the 2x CUDA cores. Though he was sceptical about that point in particular:
https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1294328782170406912

But yeah, a few exceptions aside it's changed dramatically over the last year or so. We know next to nothing about Zen 3 yet and they're revealling it in 2 days. I also believe AMD's new GPUs will not have AIB models to start with to prevent leaks, though that again is a rumor :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@kopite7kimi was correct on everything about Ampere, even the 2x CUDA cores. Though he was sceptical about that point in particular:

But yeah, a few exceptions aside it's changed dramatically over the last year or so. We know next to nothing about Zen 3 yet and they're revealling it in 2 days. I also believe AMD's new GPUs will not have AIB models to start with to prevent leaks, though that again is a rumor :D

One of the few that have actually been right consistently - there is another poster on Twitter I forget the name of which also starts with a K that has mostly been right as well.

Caporegime

I am getting sick of the amount of techtubers nowadays, it has really reached saturation point. The PC enthusiast community also have themselves to blame for all of this crap as there is now such an unhealthy obsession built around hardware releases that goes beyond passion into some kind of mania. This all generates a lot of pressure and encouragement for Techtubers to basically come out with any old speculation in order to get views and generate attention and discussion.

The PC enthusiast community is turning into a sea of easily influenced FOMO-merchants while companies like Nvidia and AMD sit there rubbing their hands with glee at not having to spend much money on marketing to generate this insane level of interest and sales.

Associate
I am getting sick of the amount of techtubers nowadays, it has really reached saturation point. The PC enthusiast community also have themselves to blame for all of this crap as there is now such an unhealthy obsession built around hardware releases that goes beyond passion into some kind of mania. This all generates a lot of pressure and encouragement for Techtubers to basically come out with any old speculation in order to get views and generate attention and discussion.

The PC enthusiast community is turning into a sea of easily influenced FOMO-merchants while companies like Nvidia and AMD sit there rubbing their hands with glee at not having to spend much money on marketing to generate this insane level of interest and sales.

It's a double-edged sword though.

Long are the days where people would proclaim PC gaming is dead, we're far from that now and the things you've mentioned are inevitable. And whilst Nvidia, AMD and Intel might enjoy the free publicity from speculation and fanbois it's still no where near how ridiculus console wars can get.

Soldato

It's just like being a child again, surprise Christmas presents... that you have to buy yourself:D

Caporegime
Long are the days where people would proclaim PC gaming is dead, we're far from that now .
LOL... I have no idea where you get that idea from that this "PC gaming is dying" argument has somehow stopped, because it is still always regurgitated especially very recently with all the build up of the new and much more powerful consoles and the increasingly expensive GPU releases. If anything, the argument will only increase with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom