Spec me a ...... seven seater scum bus

Associate
In the market for a new 7 seater.

Must not be a SUV
About 3 years old
If the middle row of seats could all be isofix that would be ideal.
Back row (seats 6 and 7 are occasional use seats) usually it will have 2 adults and 3 kids in.
Needs to have loads of space, we have a big dog as well.
Ideally not an automatic (or an "old traumatic" as my daughter calls them) as my wife hates them.
Sliding rear doors would be a bonus.
This is a practical car, so handling and performance are not needed at all!
Edit: Nothing French/Italian: We have had a Citroen in the past and it was nothing but trouble.
Currently looking at VW Sharan/SEAT Alhambra. Quite interested in the S Max, but it lacks the sliding doors. Is there anything else sub 20k that is worth looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Interesting suggestion, I think we would need the Rifter XL.

I have added an extra spec bit as we want to avoid Citroen/Peugeot/Renault/FIAT. 3 years old is about the time all the electrical gremlins will start on something European! We have had a Citroen before and vowed never to own one again, similarly we have friends with Peugeots and Fiats with a similar story.

Thanks

Dave

Associate
OP
Quartz, only I would be pedalling while everyone else watched. My legs aren't up for that!

Thanks Andi, the Toyota looks interesting.

The reviews stating boring to drive or slow or anything like that amuse me, I'm looking for a reliable van with lots of seats in!

Dave

Associate
I think a sharan or alhambra are really your only choice.

Sliding rear doors, vast boot, full size third row seats and a huge selection available from base models with cloth seats to full spec leather, electric everything autos (like the one I had).

They are very car like to drive (being cars), as opposed to some of the van based models out there.

The second row seats are all the same size and all are individually foldable/sliding which really adds to the versatility of them.

Soldato
Mate of mine has a Chrysler Grand Voyager. We had a holiday and used it. 4 adults 2 kids one Labrador dog and a week's worth of luggage was easily fitted in with room to spare. Was comfy and easy to drive. Sliding side doors, full mid seats 3 seater rear bench seat. Don't know if they're worth looking into?

Associate
Mate of mine has a Chrysler Grand Voyager. We had a holiday and used it. 4 adults 2 kids one Labrador dog and a week's worth of luggage was easily fitted in with room to spare. Was comfy and easy to drive. Sliding side doors, full mid seats 3 seater rear bench seat. Don't know if they're worth looking into?

Problem with the Chryslers is that they are very large for normal day to day living. They don't fit on our car parks very well and the engine is awful (I assume it would be a diesel to prevent heart attack at the petrol pump).

Soldato
Interesting suggestion, I think we would need the Rifter XL.

I have added an extra spec bit as we want to avoid Citroen/Peugeot/Renault/FIAT. 3 years old is about the time all the electrical gremlins will start on something European! We have had a Citroen before and vowed never to own one again, similarly we have friends with Peugeots and Fiats with a similar story.
I would say that this logic is very outdated.
Wow - that's a depressing list. :(

Soldato
Wow - that's a depressing list. :(

Indeed, it's a shame there aren't really any good looking 7 seaters that aren't an SUV body. I've been on the lookout to replace my 2005 E Class estate, which has two flip up seats in the boot, which are great for the children and I'd happily buy or lease a new one but they don't make them with 7 seats anymore and I don't like the final generation of E Class that they were fitted to.

Associate
Indeed, it's a shame there aren't really any good looking 7 seaters that aren't an SUV body. I've been on the lookout to replace my 2005 E Class estate, which has two flip up seats in the boot, which are great for the children and I'd happily buy or lease a new one but they don't make them with 7 seats anymore and I don't like the final generation of E Class that they were fitted to.

The minivans you get in the states are much better looking and have decent powertrain options as well. Even VW have a fantastic minivan, the Viloran. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1zCA3LJ9Gk&ab_channel=AndrewOffroad

I have a Q7 at the moment as I have to transport parents around fairly regularly. It was a real pain finding a high quality, large engined 7 seater.

Soldato
Problem with the Chryslers is that they are very large for normal day to day living. They don't fit on our car parks very well and the engine is awful (I assume it would be a diesel to prevent heart attack at the petrol pump).
Yes it was a diesel. Parking width was ok, but it is very long! MPG was ~40 mpg but then again my daily is a VW Corrado VR6 so I thought that was quite good lol

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Chrysler Voyager has got mediocre crash test ratings. Not something I'd like to transport my family in!

Alhambra/Sharan, S-Max or Galaxy is the way forward here really for that budget.
Or do it properly and get a Caravelle :D

Back
Top Bottom